Press Release: Edinburgh Fringe theatre/dance opening next week: The Ballad of the Apathetic Son and his Narcissistic Mother

PRESS RELEASE: DANCE / PERFORMANCE / EDINBURGH FESTIVAL FRINGE

21Common:

21CCTramwayweb.jpeg.3ebfcad380a2de2b10712dd5069a9d9b.jpeg

THE BALLAD OF THE APATHETIC SON AND HIS NARCISSISTIC MOTHER

Real life mother and teenage son sort it out to Sia songs,

in a moving observation of maternal relations

SUMMERHALL, EDINBURGH, 14 – 26 AUGUST 2018 (not 20th) / 1.45pm (1hr)

MADE IN SCOTLAND 2018. madeinscotlandshowcase.com

Trailer: https://vimeo.com/266336584

The Ballad of the Apathetic Son and his Narcissistic Mother features real life mother Lucy and 15-year-old son Raedie. Not much connects them anymore, but they both LOVE the singer Sia. They love her music, her videos and especially her hair.  They love the way it moves in a choppy, black-on-platinum swivel. They decided to use the iconic motifs of this Australian pop superstar to make their own high-energy show, which was a huge hit when performed at Glasgow’s Take Me Somewhere festival and London’s The Place in 2017.

Raedie is now one year older and six inches taller, so hold on for dear life through this all-singing, all-dancing journey of rejection, nurture, transforming, hurting and becoming…

21CCDbyNialWalkersmall.jpg.39ce9d79f246d61e2412602ef37a9dd1.jpg

21Common is a collective that actively embraces the notion of art as a deep dialogical process of exploration between artists, participants and audiences. For the past five years its key collaborators have been artists Lucy Gaizely and Gary Gardiner, Scotland’s leading learning-disabled artist Ian Johnston, producer Louise Irwin and the late Adrian Howells. Read more about 21Common at 21-common.org

Made in Scotland is a curated showcase of high quality performance from Scotland at the world’s biggest arts festival, made possible by support from the Scottish Government’s Edinburgh Festivals Expo Fund. It is a partnership between the Festival Fringe Society, the Federation of Scottish Theatre (FST) Scottish Music Centre and Creative Scotland. madeinscotlandshowcase.com

Not, I fear, quite on a par with the Fringe show back in 1959 in which I first heard the late Duncan McCrae do "The Wee Cock Sparra."  At that time, it was still possible to walk the Royal Mile without difficulty, I doubt there was more than one "'venue" (if that term was then in use) over in The Pleasance area, and I can't recall that anyone had yet invented "Standup."  I've not been back in Edinburgh at Festival time since my sister died in 2002 and I'd by then found it all too much like hard work.  I'm very happy to leave the 'Buzz' etc nowadays for others to enjoy.