Autumn 2018/19 RB Booking Experience ..

Don't know if anyone else found this ... but with the reformatting of the production listings ... it can jiggle (at least it did for me on Chrome) a minute or so after landing on the production page (e.g., the one with the cast listings) - with the dates suddenly shifting on the page.  If you haven't already selected your date - it can be easy to select a different one thinking it is in the same place as before.  I went back and checked my dates carefully on my order - and am glad I did - or else I would have booked one date in error.   Did anyone else experience this???  It may just be something with my screen.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slim pickings left at 9:01 No STALLS circle standing at all for anything ....except nutcracker - disappointed Customer here anyway! How did front amphitheatre sides get so expensive?? Why are all back amphitheatre categories pretty much the same green colour despite being diff aren't prices? Still disappointed......sad day!

Not sure quite what you mean, Bruce?

Well, my usual trick for booking Osipova tickets worked most of the time: overall I've got one of the best hauls I had in a while, although there's a noticeable shortage of Nutcracker standing places, presumably occasioned both by the lack of alternative dates for some casts and the swingeing increase in "lower"-priced seat prices - 40%, I'd guess?  But I thought someone said the ticket prices for La Bayadere were eyewatering?

2 minutes ago, jules_skichick said:

How did front amphitheatre sides get so expensive?? Why are all back amphitheatre categories pretty much the same green colour despite being diff aren't prices? Still disappointed......sad day!

Because someone who's never sat in them when the amphi is full - or is more than average height - and so doesn't realise how restricted they are decided to reassign them :(   Didn't know about the other - will be careful about that!

I’m somewhat relieved that I managed to get my exact preferred seat in the stalls for La B because the interactive price guide thing didn’t show any price for them when I was looking last night!! 

I hope you all managed to get the seats and performances you wanted. 

58 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Don't know if anyone else found this ... but with the reformatting of the production listings ... it can jiggle (at least it did for me on Chrome) a minute or so after landing on the production page (e.g., the one with the cast listings) - with the dates suddenly shifting on the page.  If you haven't already selected your date - it can be easy to select a different one thinking it is in the same place as before.  I went back and checked my dates carefully on my order - and am glad I did - or else I would have booked one date in error.   Did anyone else experience this???  It may just be something with my screen.  

I didn't experience this problem, Bruce but then I don't use Chrome.

Booking process quite smooth though didn't get all the tickets I wanted at a price I can afford. Managed a front row amphi for Ryio's Mayerling matinee and a stalls circle for Osipova's the same evening which I hope is OK. Still trying for Nunez/Vadim Bayadere either on Nov 1st or 8th though 1st seems unlikely. Also for Naghdi's Bayadere matinee where reasonably priced tickets seem in short supply. However did manage evening performances for Osipova/Corrales Bayadere and Matthew Ball's the following night.

Phew nearly forgot it was the 25th....Thankyou to Bruce Wall for starting this thread!!

Anyway lucky bunny me have only booked the one ticket at the moment but the one I wanted for Bayadere on November 5th!!

Corrales Osipova and Nunez .....what a combo!! 

I also managed to get an end of row seat which I prefer in row C in the Amphi so haven't broken the bank and something to hold on to to steady the vertigo if should come on that eve!!

Did it all in less than ten mins so that was a great relief. 

Now Ive got THAT ticket can calm down ( I'm sure my blood pressure goes up whilst booking these things online) and take a cool look at what else I might want to book too!! 

Good luck everybody else hope you get what you want and still have some money left over for Christmas Presents!! 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Now Ive got THAT ticket can calm down ( I'm sure my blood pressure goes up whilst booking these things online) and take a cool look at what else I might want to book too!! 

I know now how you feel, I need one of those post-booking cigarettes...and I don’t even smoke!!

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, alison said:

Not sure quite what you mean, Bruce?

Well, my usual trick for booking Osipova tickets worked most of the time: overall I've got one of the best hauls I had in a while, although there's a noticeable shortage of Nutcracker standing places, presumably occasioned both by the lack of alternative dates for some casts and the swingeing increase in "lower"-priced seat prices - 40%, I'd guess?  But I thought someone said the ticket prices for La Bayadere were eyewatering?

Yes, £92 for Row A of Donald Gordon (round the side) for a matinée! 

38 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

I didn't experience this problem, Bruce but then I don't use Chrome.

Booking process quite smooth though didn't get all the tickets I wanted at a price I can afford. Managed a front row amphi for Ryio's Mayerling matinee and a stalls circle for Osipova's the same evening which I hope is OK. Still trying for Nunez/Vadim Bayadere either on Nov 1st or 8th though 1st seems unlikely. Also for Naghdi's Bayadere matinee where reasonably priced tickets seem in short supply. However did manage evening performances for Osipova/Corrales Bayadere and Matthew Ball's the following night.

I was lucky; got tickets for Takada/McRae/Naghdi La Bayadère and Bonelli/Morera's Mayerling.  Was restrained and limited myself to those two although I expect dd will take herself to see Nutcracker. ☺️

• Like 2

If I do go to Bayadere again that is the cast I would like to see!

I did get an Insight  ticket at the Clore as well ....for the new ballet "The Unknown Soldier" so looking forward to that ....manage to get so few of these insights so looks like a lucky day for me today!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

Yes, £92 for Row A of Donald Gordon (round the side) for a matinée! 

What would you normally expect?  I'm not too au fait with the higher price bands at the ROH (although was shocked by the horrendous Nutcracker price increase for the side amphi seats, which appear still to be - quite rightly - banded as a restricted view - although I didn't check the price of the band next to them).

• Like 1

If memory serves, I think Row A Stalls Circle (centre) for the Manon Matinée was £80.  I know DG Grand Tier is usually a little bit more but I don't remember it being over the £90 mark for a matinée before? 

16 minutes ago, Anna C said:

If memory serves, I think Row A Stalls Circle (centre) for the Manon Matinée was £80.  I know DG Grand Tier is usually a little bit more but I don't remember it being over the £90 mark for a matinée before? 

Sadly it looks like the days of cheaper matinée prices are a thing of the past.  I've checked out the interactive seat maps for the Winter season and, as far as I can tell, the matinée prices are the same as the evening prices.

If matinées are no longer cheaper, presumably they will no longer be used deliberately for casting less experienced dancers/débuts in roles. (I know they are not always used as such, but still sometimes. If the prices are the same there would clearly be no justification for doing that.)

• Like 2

i think prices have risen very steeply for the new season. I used to be able to afford the occasional opera visit, but I notice with horror that the Queen of Spades, which I Would love to see, offers front amphi at an eye watering £100- more than I have paid for stalls circle in the past. And as other posters have said there seem to be larger areas at higher prices, with fewer seats being sold as restricted view.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

If matinées are no longer cheaper, presumably they will no longer be used deliberately for casting less experienced dancers/débuts in roles. (I know they are not always used as such, but still sometimes. If the prices are the same there would clearly be no justification for doing that.)

Many companies give dancers their debuts at matinée performances and, as far as I know, it's rare for these performances to be cheaper than evening ones.  I'd always assumed it was because the dancers would feel less pressure at an afternoon performance and would therefore be less nervous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

i think prices have risen very steeply for the new season. I used to be able to afford the occasional opera visit, but I notice with horror that the Queen of Spades, which I Would love to see, offers front amphi at an eye watering £100- more than I have paid for stalls circle in the past. And as other posters have said there seem to be larger areas at higher prices, with fewer seats being sold as restricted view.

I noticed that too. I also see, however, that the front row of the Upper Slips furthest from the stage has returned to the lower price band in which it had customarily belonged. (For the Autumn booking period they'd put them up to the same band as Amphi sides B-E for the opera.)  I wonder if someone from ROH finally sat there for a performance and realised that the cramped bench seats, neck-craning, sideways (and if you're unlucky with who is next to you, seriously restricted) view and all-round discomfort* DO merit a significant discount.

Anyway, there does seem to be an amount of experimentation going on with pricing, so maybe Spring will bring yet more surprises!

*Another hazard I've discovered in this weather - and no-one is to blame for this! - is the danger of the patron behind you, whose feet are at nose-level, having less than sweet-smelling feet, often in sandals.

• Like 3

Just tried to re-enter ROH website to check something on the calendar and got the following:  Server Error: Service Unavailable (503)

Tried twice with same result on both Chrome and Explorer.  

Anyone else having the same difficulty?  

Edited by Bruce Wall

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Anyway, there does seem to be an amount of experimentation going on with pricing, so maybe Spring will bring yet more surprises!

I believe that representations have been made  about the fact the most of the planned price hikes applied to the so-called 'cheaper' areas of the auditorium frequented by ballet regulars.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Just tried to re-enter ROH website to check something on the calendar and got the following:  Server Error: Service Unavailable (503)

Tried twice with same result on both Chrome and Explorer.  

Anyone else having the same difficulty?  

I can't get the ROH page to open at all on ipad, Bruce - seems the problem is at their end, not yours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anna C said:

I can't get the ROH page to open at all on ipad, Bruce - seems the problem is at their end, not yours.

I also cannot get it to open on Firefox on my laptop. The landing page for 2014-15 comes up! We're in a timewarp

14 minutes ago, capybara said:

I believe that representations have been made  about the fact the most of the planned price hikes applied to the so-called 'cheaper' areas of the auditorium frequented by ballet regulars.

Representations? Are you able to clarify?

Nothing for it.   I shall just have to rejoin the Friends of Covent Garden to regain priority booking and let one or more of my other Friends' memberships go.   But which one?  I can't let Scottish Ballet go.   I have known them ever since I was at St Andrews 50 years ago.  Nor can I say goodbye to Ballet Black or Ballet Cymru both of which I love dearly.   

By the way I got stalls for the matinee performance of 3 Nov.  Very happy with Lamb and Hirano but not so happy with the weekend train timetables whereby the last train to Donny leaves at 10:00.   I had to miss the whole of Act 2 of Ballet Central's mixed programme a few weeks ago to avoid an expensive night in t'Smoke.

Edited by Terpsichore
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Representations? Are you able to clarify?

One example........... but, unfortunately, the April  interview with Kevin O'Hare at The Ballet Association hasn't yet been published (doubtless he has been a touch busy) so I'm not in a position to offer details or a link.

Many thanks, Capybara.  I had been told that complaints were made at that meeting about the price of the Upper Slips.  I‘m glad to see that this has now been rectified for the Winter Season.  However, I wasn’t aware that the increased price of the  Side Front Amphitheatre had also been questioned.  The price for these restricted view Side Amphitheatre seats has remained at a much higher price than before. 

As an example, in the Autumn Season  both Side Front Amphitheatre and Front Row Upper Slips seats furthest from the stage are £21 for Nutcracker.  For Don Q , in the Winter Season, the price of the Upper Slips has been brought down to £10 while the Side Amphitheatre seats have remained at a higher price (£19)

13 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

For Don Q , in the Winter Season, the price of the Upper Slips has been brought down to £10 while the Side Amphitheatre seats have remained at a higher price (£19)

If you mean that Upper Slips is a band cheaper than Side Amphi, I think that's been the case for a while prior to the recent Summer season. Side Amphi got kicked up a band for Swan Lake and a couple of the Autumn shows, I think (making those seats two bands higher than US).

It was only the opera that had the "better" Upper Slips tickets moved up a rung for a while, to join Side Amphi.

My head hurts now.