£100 fine at Manchester Airport warning - changes to drop-off/pick up

Lisa O`Brien

Just seen this after a friend of a friend posted it on Facebook. " Manchester Airport- be careful of charges if you pick someone up from there. Last night they collected a friend from Terminal 3. They knew they would be charged £3.00. But the man at the barrier asked them for £103.00 !!  They initially thought he was joking but he wasn't. There is now a fine of £100 in place for people who drive to the front of the terminal to pick up. Only drop offs are allowed. If collecting someone you now have to drive into the car park and walk to the front of the airport. There is still a minimum charge of £3.00, but that's better than a fine of £100 !! There ARE signs up but it's too late once you have driven in. Luckily for them, he allowed them to get out just paying £3.00, but told them not to do it again".  I've no idea if other airports are doing the same thing as Manchester, but if people are travelling to an airport by car, just be careful.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

" Manchester Airport- be careful of charges if you pick someone up from there. Last night they collected a friend from Terminal 3. They knew they would be charged £3.00. But the man at the barrier asked them for £103.00 !!  

2 hours ago, alison said:

Presumably they make some sort of allowance for disabled people?

There was a lot about this on the local news a couple of weeks ago.  It is absolutely invidious and just another way of the airport to screw money out of people.

There is a separate arrangement for disabled people but I believe they have to inform the airport in advance.  

It certainly pays to look at the rules.

The situation is not quite as bad at Liverpool Airport.  You can pick people up - I think you get 10 minutes for £2 and then it goes up another £2 every 10 minutes.  It is impossible to book a taxi to come and collect you.  You have to ring when you are ready to leave the airport.

• Like 3

That's pretty bad, too - it's anticompetitive, surely?  I mean, my impression is that people book my local cab company to meet them off a given flight from Gatwick (at least, given how much time the office spends looking at the incoming flights).  If you have to wait until you're ready to leave, you're probably going to have to settle for a local firm regardless, aren't you, unless your preferred company just happens to have someone in the vicinity?

49 minutes ago, alison said:

That's pretty bad, too - it's anticompetitive, surely?  I mean, my impression is that people book my local cab company to meet them off a given flight from Gatwick (at least, given how much time the office spends looking at the incoming flights).  If you have to wait until you're ready to leave, you're probably going to have to settle for a local firm regardless, aren't you, unless your preferred company just happens to have someone in the vicinity?

I would have said it was anti-competitive.  If you are picking someone up during the day, one trick is to park in Dobbies (less than 5 minute drive away), go into the cafe and have a drink while waiting.  Get the call and then shoot around.  You still have to pay the exit fee but at least you are only minutes away.

41 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

The Manchester Airports Group bought Stansted some years back.   Stansted -  a large carpark with airport attached.

I expect it won't be long until Stansted passengers face the same then...

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 18:08, Jan McNulty said:

There is a separate arrangement for disabled people but I believe they have to inform the airport in advance.  

Sounds like the bad old days earlier this century when Southern Railways insisted on disabled people giving 24 hours' notice of their intention to travel :( 

• 1 month later...

I occasionally fly into Manchester and my niece collects me.  She usually waits somewhere until I phone her and then drives to the drop off zone to pick me up. Do you mean that she can't do this now?  And when I arrive at Stansted now, my sister parks in one of those carparks and takes the bus to meet me!

• Jan McNulty changed the title to £100 fine at Manchester Airport warning - changes to drop-off/pick up
14 hours ago, Dance*is*life said:

I occasionally fly into Manchester and my niece collects me.  She usually waits somewhere until I phone her and then drives to the drop off zone to pick me up. Do you mean that she can't do this now?  And when I arrive at Stansted now, my sister parks in one of those carparks and takes the bus to meet me!

You have to pay to go into the Drop-off zone immediately outside the terminals or the pick-up car park.  £4 for 10 minutes.

Details here:  https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/parking/pick-up-and-drop-off/

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/parking/turn-up-and-park/

There's actually a free pick up and drop off area,  similar to Stansted - when you arrive at the car park you can park up in the drop off area (if that makes sense) and passengers can use the free shuttle.  Presumably can also wait for passengers to arrive.

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/parking/pick-up-and-drop-off-info/

Used it in the summer, all very straight forward.