Royal Ballet 2018/2019 Winter Season Casting

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Yasmine Naghdi has danced the role of Young Girl with Alexander Campbell in Japan last September but dancing the role at the ROH will be a first.

She danced a pdd with Alex for a gala in Japan but has never danced the whole ballet.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

https://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/les-patineurs-winter-dreams-the-concert

I guess it will be the same scenario re. the Winter Dreams TBC on 18th December and 4th January?  Why can't those responsible for updating the casting do the job properly, as it was done pre-Open Up? Will we have to continue guessing? 

Perhaps the IT team are lost on the new levels?

• Like 3

If anyone hears anything definite about the 20 December matinee, whether Hay is out, and if so his replacement ( I would guess Sambebut who knows), please post. Waiting for the ROH website to get it right feels like waiting for Godot...

Edited by now voyager
  • Like 5

Some pictures from the rehearsals for the Les Patineurs mixed bill were posted on the ROH flickr page today. Those with more knowledge about the ballets than me maybe able to divine some casting information.

It looks like Naghdi is rehearing with the Nuñez cast for Winter Dreams. Also, Hamilton/Clarke and Kaneko/Bracewell appear to be Pas de deux couples for Les Patineurs. Yudes rehearsing Blue Boy?

It's idle speculation, but I know there is an appetite for more casting information than the meagre diet we are currently being fed.

• Like 3

So I'll deduct that the TBC on 18th December Opening Night Winter Dreams is Yasmine Naghdi dancing Irina. 

How totally discourteous of the ROH/RB team responsible for updating the website (I wonder if anybody there is still in charge) not only to their paying audience but also to their Principal dancer whom they can't be bothered to name. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Saodan said:

Some pictures from the rehearsals for the Les Patineurs mixed bill were posted on the ROH flickr page today. Those with more knowledge about the ballets than me maybe able to divine some casting information.

It looks like Naghdi is rehearing with the Nuñez cast for Winter Dreams. Also, Hamilton/Clarke and Kaneko/Bracewell appear to be Pas de deux couples for Les Patineurs. Yudes rehearsing Blue Boy?

It's idle speculation, but I know there is an appetite for more casting information than the meagre diet we are currently being fed.

Thank you Saodan for this link. There are some lovely photos here, by Alice Pennefather. Misleading captions however, e.g. 'Claire Calvert, Laura Morera, Akane Takada, Itziar Mendizabal, Marianela Nuñez and Yasmine Naghdi in rehearsal for Kenneth MacMillan's Les Patineurs, The Royal Ballet Season 2018/19.'
https://www.flickr.com/photos/royaloperahouse/32388525798/in/photostream

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Josephine said:

Thank you Saodan for this link. There are some lovely photos here, by Alice Pennefather. Misleading captions however, e.g. 'Claire Calvert, Laura Morera, Akane Takada, Itziar Mendizabal, Marianela Nuñez and Yasmine Naghdi in rehearsal for Kenneth MacMillan's Les Patineurs, The Royal Ballet Season 2018/19.'
https://www.flickr.com/photos/royaloperahouse/32388525798/in/photostream

Oh dear oh dear.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

So I'll deduct that the TBC on 18th December Opening Night Winter Dreams is Yasmine Naghdi dancing Irina. 

How totally discourteous of the ROH/RB team responsible for updating the website (I wonder if anybody there is still in charge) not only to their paying audience but also to their Principal dancer whom they can't be bothered to name. 

The late-stage TBCs are certainly discourteous. The continued posting (whatever the cause) of casting information that, even if accurate at one time, has since become erroneous (and we had at least one instance of that with Symphony in C and I strongly suspect have another with Patineurs) is not only disrespectful, but dishonest.

In response to my inquiry, the ROH informed me that “updated” casting information will be posted this afternoon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, now voyager said:

In response to my inquiry, the ROH informed me that “updated” casting information will be posted this afternoon.

That’s really good news. At the moment, I feel that I want to give the ROH/RB a bit of space to sort things out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

A principal dancer would normally not perform in a full-length ballet two nights in a row (except maybe under very special circumstances when needed to replace another principal) but as Winter Dreams is a shortish ballet I guess Naghdi will perform three nights in a row. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed then, as I have a ticket for 20th & was looking forward to seeing Naghdi live for the first time.

This is the first season I'm seeing the RB live & I don't seem to be doing very well on the casting front. I've already had Hirano for Watson in Mayerling & will have Sambe for Hay in Nutcracker, with Bonelli's participation in doubt. Now this doubt over Winter Dreams. Is this much changing of lead cast members normal for ballet? I know dancers get injured but I've seen several RB cinecasts in the last few years & they all seemed to have had the originally-announced leads appear.

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

A principal dancer would normally not perform in a full-length ballet two nights in a row (except maybe under very special circumstances when needed to replace another principal) but as Winter Dreams is a shortish ballet I guess Naghdi will perform three nights in a row. 

Although since it's hardly a last-minute casting change, one might hope that there would have been time to give another, up-and-coming, dancer the role rather than have Naghdi doubling up again.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

This is the first season I'm seeing the RB live & I don't seem to be doing very well on the casting front. I've already had Hirano for Watson in Mayerling & will have Sambe for Hay in Nutcracker, with Bonelli's participation in doubt. Now this doubt over Winter Dreams. Is this much changing of lead cast members normal for ballet? I know dancers get injured but I've seen several RB cinecasts in the last few years & they all seemed to have had the originally-announced leads appear.

It's not - but then, nor is it normal to have quite so many leading dancers off on other projects as well as injured.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alison said:

Although since it's hardly a last-minute casting change, one might hope that there would have been time to give another, up-and-coming, dancer the role rather than have Naghdi doubling up again.

The three Principals cast as Irina (Naghdi, Hayward and Takada) each had their own two scheduled performances but when Hayward joined the Cats musical team I assume the easiest was to have Naghdi take over her shows (thus dancing 4 out of 6 shows). Other potential dancers must have been busy rehearsing Nutcracker, Patineurs, The Concert,...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, alison said:

It's not - but then, nor is it normal to have quite so many leading dancers off on other projects as well as injured.

Thanks. I was starting to wonder if my expectations of actually seeing the dancers I'd booked to see were too high.

So:

Naghdi replacing Hayward as Irina on 18th Dec and 4th Jan.

Mendizabal replacing Heap as Olga on 19th Dec and 20th Dec eve. 

Both keep their scheduled performances and are now dancing in two casts. 

Acri replacing Corrales as Blue Boy on 19th Dec and 20th Dec eve. 

Yudes replacing Hay as Blue Boy on 20th Dec mat and 2nd Jan. 

Edit to add cast changes for the Two Pigeons mixed bills:

Dixon replacing Corrales in Asphodel Meadows on 19th Jan mat, 2nd Feb mat, 5th Feb.

Zucchetti replacing Montaño as Gypsy Lover on 2nd Feb eve, 13th Feb. 

Naghdi replacing Hayward as Young Girl on 12th Feb and 16th Feb mat. 

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 1

Just out of curiosity, have we seen Ashley Dean on stage lately?  Having not attended any Nutcrackers yet, I haven't. I recall in the Nutcracker Insight, David Yudes being coached with Isabella Gasparini because "Yudes's Clara" (Dean) had an injury.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing Yudes/Dean later in December and am hoping her injury was short-term.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MAX said:

Corrales is already injured ?  not very solid...  :(

Sadly, it seems to be par for the course :( 

I'd been under the impression that Montaño was taking the whole year as sabbatical, so am surprised he'd been cast in anything anyway.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Just out of curiosity, have we seen Ashley Dean on stage lately?  Having not attended any Nutcrackers yet, I haven't. I recall in the Nutcracker Insight, David Yudes being coached with Isabella Gasparini because "Yudes's Clara" (Dean) had an injury.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing Yudes/Dean later in December and am hoping her injury was short-term.

I am pretty sure she was the angel who appears in the darkened living room just before Clara's dream sequence begins.  My friend was borrowing my binocs at that minute so can't be absolutely sure, but it did look like her from afar! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Saodan said:

So:

Naghdi replacing Hayward as Irina on 18th Dec and 4th Jan.

Mendizabal replacing Heap as Olga on 19th Dec and 20th Dec eve. 

Both keep their scheduled performances and are now dancing in two casts. 

Acri replacing Corrales as Blue Boy on 19th Dec and 20th Dec eve. 

Yudes replacing Hay as Blue Boy on 20th Dec mat and 2nd Jan. 

Edit to add cast changes for the Two Pigeons mixed bills:

Dixon replacing Corrales in Asphodel Meadows on 19th Jan mat, 2nd Feb mat, 5th Feb.

Zucchetti replacing Montaño as Gypsy Lover on 2nd Feb eve, 13th Feb. 

Naghdi replacing Hayward as Young Girl on 12th Feb and 16th Feb mat. 

Many thanks for making all of that so clear, Saodan.  Really gutted not to be seeing Corrales as Blue Boy (such a sad start to his RB career....a few lead officers in Mayerling and one Solor, now nothing until at least the end of Feb or March?  I hope he recovers by then and is back to full fitness).  I am sure Acri will be good, and I can't wait to see David Yudes in the role, although I will miss James Hay very much. 

Leo Dixon suddenly seems to be blossoming and getting a lot of exposure.  Often in the past such a list of absences and injuries would be a real headache to the company, but the way it is at the moment, it has a large pool from which to choose, all of whom can and will give excellent performances.  What a great position for any AD to be in!

• Like 4

Ashley Dean has been a Mirliton.

Leticia Dias has been the Angel.

The 'emergence' of Leo Dixon is interesting. He has been in the Company 'proper' for two years (following an Aud Jebsen year) and was a stunning 'sub.' in Rubies and an excellent 'Chinese' dancer - but not much else. Now he has been given more opportunity to demonstrate what he can do and he's 'going for it' - and being rewarded with further roles. Well done to him - nice to see.

• Like 7