Royal Ballet 2018/2019 Winter Season Casting

15 minutes ago, JohnS said:

If you click on the cheaper seats it shows 'promo' - Linbury promotion seats, the higher price seats come up 'full price'.

I haven't seen any advertising about promotion tickets for the Linbury - not sure where marketing/communications are in all this but not convinced things are that well coordinated?

Thanks, JohnS.  I hadn't thought of clicking on the seats. That makes a bit more sense.  However, if they were intending to sell some seats at a promotional price, you'd have thought there would have been an announcement to let people know about it.  Maybe there has been an announcement and I've missed it?

• Like 1

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, MargaretN7 said:

And there appear to be far more, and better, seats available in the public booking for these events than for the Friends booking last week. I can understand that (I think), in that they want to use this as introductory?

If that's the case, that's rather annoying - I booked 2 very bad tickets rather than no tickets at all (at a price I can pay), because I thought that was all there was.

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

If that's the case, that's rather annoying - I booked 2 very bad tickets rather than no tickets at all (at a price I can pay), because I thought that was all there was.

It might be worth explaining that to the ROH and seeing if they can offer a swap or refund, given the confusion about prices etc. at the new Linbury.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alison said:

If 25% of the Linbury seats are £25, then what on earth are the others? :(  I'm assuming they won't be less ...

What they said initially is that 25% of seats are £25 or less. So I'm not sure their message is quite clear. 

Edited by bridiem

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:53, bangorballetboy said:

Les Patineurs

Blue Boy only

18 Dec, 4 Jan Sambé

19, 20(e) Dec Corrales

20(m) Dec, 2 Jan Hay

Winter Dreams

Masha/Vershinin/Irina/Olga

18 Dec, 4 Jan Nuñez/Soares/Hayward/Mendizabal

19 Dec, 20(e) Lamb/Muntagirov/Naghdi/Heap

20(m) Dec, 2 Jan Morera/Hirano/Takada/Calvert

The Concert

Solo lady only

18, 20(e) Dec Cuthbertson

19, 20(m) Dec Hamilton

2, 4 Jan Lamb

This is really weird.  The page https://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/les-patineurs-winter-dreams-the-concert currently has the evening performance on the 20th and the 2nd as TBC.

• Like 1

Well I hope this is sorted before public booking as I intended to book for the Dec 20th evening with its fabulous Winter Dream cast of Lamb, Muntagirov. Naghdi and Heap as I could see the great matinee performance as well for the same visit.

Oh dear I thought Imhad got the casting for Two Pigeons sorted!!

In the casting posted by BBB in August it does say that on Tuesday February 12th evening Hayward and Bracewell will be doing Two Pigeons with the Royal Ballet School performances.

However when you now go to the ROH website it now says Cuthbertson is dancing that night!! 

Are you able to help on this one BBB? It was your post on page 4 of this thread that mentions the Hayward/Bracewell performance.

I cannot now see any performance of Hayward in the Two Pigeons!! 

I did have my dates ready ....the Akane / Hay performance on Feb2nd still seems to be the same at least but am aware booking date is opening next week and am not sure now about this one on the 12th!! 

Edited by LinMM

1 hour ago, Riva said:

The website seems to be all over the place but clicking into particular dates on the calendar gives the clearest casting I think. 

12th feb eve Hayward/Bracewell 

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/k4xp7

2nd feb eve Takada/Hay

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/m99rz

But clicking on the production gives different info, at least about the 12th (haven't checked the 2nd), as LinMM has said. Which one are we supposed to believe???

I've just emailed the Website at the ROH to ask what is happening and why.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 3

If I were a truly cynical person I would say that the nonsensical casting information for the Royal Ballet School/Two Pigeons mixed bill was evidence that the marketing department had set out to establish that it can sell ballet tickets without giving accurate casting details.  As it is I think that it is evidence of the arrogance and indifference of the marketing department to both the hardcore ballet fan and the general public and that the slipshod approach of the person posting the casting details for these mixed programmes is simply its latest manifestation.  By the  way the nonsense is not confined to this programme. If you look at the casting for La Bayadere as it currently appears on the website the names of the dancers have not been listed in the consistent order of Solor. Nikiya and Gamzatti but at least it is a whole lot easier to unravel .

I think that we shall all be very interested to learn what the Royal Opera House administration has to say about the nonsense currently to be found on its website in  response to Bridiem's  e-mail. I can't help wondering just how evasive the response is likely to be given its current corporate policy of dealing with enquiries by answering the question it would have liked to have received rather than the one that was actually asked. As far as casting is concerned I would suggest that the Winter season casting given on the Ballet Association website is likely to be an accurate account of who is dancing in both of the Two Pigeons programmes. It is because of its close links with the company that the Ballet  Association is sometimes disparagingly described as " the Royal Ballet's supporter's club" but at times like this those links are likely to produce the accurate information which the ROH has failed to supply.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 8

The ROH website is an absolute mess, as are the casting updates. I have never seen it - in all the years I am using the ROH website - in such a mess, it is hard to navigate or find accurate, reliable casting information.

It is disrespectful to the dancers they are not listed, and for many RB supporters there is a feeling of "...we don't care, find out by yourself...".

Very disappointed in all the recent changes. I don't mind changes but they should all be consistently implemented.

After all the ROH/RB are not amateurs are they.

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo
  • Like 4

another example of the slip-shoddery going on - from World Ballet Day, ROH posted the rehearsal with Hannah Grennell and Chisato Katsura (named correctly) choreographed by Erico Montes, when in fact it was Valentino Zucchetti's piece (and he was taking the rehearsal). Seems they don't even know their own talent

• Like 4

The other difficult thing is where there is casting for mixed bills it's all listed randomly rather than separated into different ballets, which is confusing: 

·Conductor   Koen Kessels

·Masha   Marianela Nuñez

·Conductor   Barry Wordsworth

·Blue Boy   Marcelino Sambé

·Principal   Sarah Lamb

·Lt. Coronel Vershinin   Thiago Soares

·Les Patineurs   TBC

·Irina   Francesca Hayward

·Olga   Itziar Mendizabal

It's all really amateurish for the moment, it was never like this, and I hope they get their act together very VERY soon.

ROH take note please!  It reflects very badly on the ROH as an institution as well as on the professionalism of all your wonderful and amazing artists.

• Like 3

About an hour and a half ago I looked at the casting for the Patineurs/Winter Dreams/the Concert, and the casting of the matinee and the evening performances on the 20th appeared to have swapped over - very annoying as I booked specifically to see Muntagirov and Lamb in Winter Dreams. An hour later, and there is now no mention of Muntagirov in any cast!

The Two Pigeons casting is a similar mess, with TBCs apparently randomly scattered all over the place.

As others have said, going in via the calendar route still gives you the originally slated casts - so what to believe....?

It only seems to be the multi bills that are thus affected - things like Bayadere, the Nutcracker, Don Q seem to have remained stable - so far, anyway.

I have contacted ROH customer services to see if they can explain any of this, but I’m not expecting a useful answer. If I get one, I will pass it on!

• Like 5

Balletfanp I see no difference in using the  calendar or the production routes to the info....Morera and Hirano in the matinee on the 20th, and Lamb and Muntagirov in the evening. Is that what you expected? I don't see the problems mentioned here with Two Pigeons either. Is this all some sort of temporary blip that has now been sorted?

PS I know Two Pigeons can be confusing due to the two different bills it appears on.

55 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

About an hour and a half ago I looked at the casting for the Patineurs/Winter Dreams/the Concert, and the casting of the matinee and the evening performances on the 20th appeared to have swapped over - very annoying as I booked specifically to see Muntagirov and Lamb in Winter Dreams. An hour later, and there is now no mention of Muntagirov in any cast!

I booked to see the performance with Muntagirov/Lamb/Naghdi too. I hope it's NOT the case this cast has been swapped over. It's rather nerve-racking this whole issue with their website. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Balletfanp I see no difference in using the  calendar or the production routes to the info....Morera and Hirano in the matinee on the 20th, and Lamb and Muntagirov in the evening. Is that what you expected? I don't see the problems mentioned here with Two Pigeons either. Is this all some sort of temporary blip that has now been sorted?

PS I know Two Pigeons can be confusing due to the two different bills it appears on.

That is what I expected, but weirdly, it’s definitely not what I am seeing - unless I go via the calendar route. Very, very strange - and I don’t THINK I’ve taken leave of my senses - not yet, anyway 🙂.

But the Two Pigeons/Asphodel Meadows listings seemed to have reverted to the expected when I looked ten minutes or so ago - albeit with the names in no logical order.

I’ve now discovered that if you get as far as the casting page, but then click again on the 20th matinee, which gives you the seating plan, and below that all the production details, the performers are all listed but BOTH casts are listed on the same performance - so, two different Mashas, two Vershinins etc. - the first listed name is the one showing on the casting.

Likewise, if you click on the evening performance, the only role listed is the Blue Boy, which is down as TBC - hence all the mess when you look at the casting on that day.

Whoever is looking after all this needs a stiff talking to....

• Like 4

I checked 16 Feb casting by three different routes.

Route1
Home - What’s on - Productions - The Royal Ballet School/Two pigeons dates - 16 Feb date

The casting link is
https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-royal-ballet-school-by-liam-scarlett

It shows 3 names to each main roles. F Hayward/W Bracewell/F Kaneko/V Zuccheti team is not listed.

Route2
Home - What’s on - calendar pick up 16 Feb - pick up The Royal Ballet School/Two pigeons

F Hayward/W Bracewell/F Kaneko/V Zuccheti team appears.

The link is
https://www.roh.org.uk/events/2jz77

Route3
Home - What’s on - pick up Winter period from either under calendar - scroll dow and open ‘view winter 2018/19 calendar of events’ pick up The Royal Ballet School/Two pigeons on 16 Feb

F Hayward/W Bracewell/F Kaneko/V Zuccheti team appears.

The link is
https://www.roh.org.uk/events/2jz77

You can see there are two links which shows completely different names.

Majority of people go to Route1 way unless you want to know what is offered on the specific date.

I would say not many people go to Route3 unless you know it does exist ;)

Thank you for BBB for sharing what we could do with this page.

I have checked just one casting and what I have just written is as of now.

The links may talk the same language at some point.

Now I would like to know which one is correct.
Also I would like ROH website team to polish dancer’s profile page.
Please add the role and performing date when dancers are casted main role.

Currently the programme link is embedded.
It is an extra work, but it is clearer to us.

• Like 5

It's a shambles. The most generous interpretation is that they're struggling with the two CMSs (legacy and new) that they've been saddled with, but if that's the case, what does it say for the programme to implement the new one, which, judging by the amount of time it's taken and its lack of progress, must be over-budget by now? (I believe it's being developed in-house: please correct me if I'm wrong.) The template for individual performances has clearly been designed without consideration for mixed bills, which is a pretty shocking oversight, and by the looks of it, things such as casting information, which you'd expect to see detiving from a single source of information, are being entered manually on different pages.

I'd love to know how much has been spent on it, but I doubt the annual report will offer any transparency on the matter.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

What you are referring to seems to be problems with the pages that appear if you not yet able to book. If logged in as a Friend, it seems OK.

Taking the first link https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-royal-ballet-school-by-liam-scarlett if I'm logged in - I'm a Friend, if that makes a difference -  it shows NO casting information (nor the conductor!) apart from "The Royal Ballet School" on all three dates.

If I'm logged out it displays "Conducted by Barry Wordsworth" for all three dates, and

12th: TBC, Cuthbertson, The Royal Ballet School, Muntagirov, Morera

14th: TBC, The Royal Ballet School, Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

16th: The Royal Ballet School, TBC, Stix-Brunell, Takada, Choe

!!!

31 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

What you are referring to seems to be problems with the pages that appear if you not yet able to book. If logged in as a Friend, and can book, it seems OK or at least consistent.

You’re quite right, Richard, I’ve just tried it - thanks.

But what use is that if you want to have a good look at the casting before you book, so that you can make your decisions and go smoothly to the performances you want to book? After all, there isn’t much time to snap up the tickets you want in some cases.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Taking the first link https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-royal-ballet-school-by-liam-scarlett if I'm logged in - I'm a Friend, if that makes a difference -  it shows NO casting information (nor the conductor!) apart from "The Royal Ballet School" on all three dates

It shows casting information once you click the individual dates on that page, logged in as a Friend thus allowing you to book.

3 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

It shows casting information once you click the individual dates on that page, logged in as a Friend thus allowing you to book.

Yes indeed - that's the https://www.roh.org.uk/events/2jz77 link that Yumiko shows twice. But how could a casual visitor guess that there's more casting information available? And it's plain that there are problems with the system, if it can't even display the same information on the same page when logged in and logged out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lizbie1 said:

Yes indeed - that's the https://www.roh.org.uk/events/2jz77 link that Yumiko shows twice. But how could a casual visitor guess that there's more casting information available? And it's plain that there are problems with the system, if it can't even display the same information on the same page when logged in and logged out.

That is also my point.

Various ways to reach the detailed information is ok, but the same result should appear.

• Like 3

I emailed the ROH box office yesterday as well and today had a reply that it is definitely Hayward and Bracewell on the 12th of February ( Tuesday) 

They also said they would amend the details on the other part of the website ( haven't looked yet to check) and apologised for the confusion caused etc 

At least a step in the right direction....some of the casting info is a farce with far too many "ballerinas" listed for the one ballet!! Weird!!

Edited by LinMM