Bluebird

Royal Ballet 2018/2019 Winter Season Casting

Lin, I suspect the truth is that the website is something of a shambles at the moment (as they're stuck between the outgoing and new systems) and casting is having to be manually entered in each place, with variable success.

Oh, have they got a new system?  Couldn't say I'd noticed thus far.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

You need to click through onto the individual show pages.

The trouble is that there is more than one version of each individual show's page, e.g. the one you get to by clicking on a date via https://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/les-patineurs-winter-dreams-the-concert, which has no casting information; and https://www.roh.org.uk/events/4dy99, which you get to via the calendar, and carries the casting information.

It's a real dog's dinner.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 2

When I do click on the individual pages let's say for "The Concert" there is still no casting shown!! On the What's on page I mean which is the page I would book from!

But the casting for it has been given on this Forum!! 

I can't find anywhere else to see this but am wary about booking until it's shown officially .....even though I know for ballet nothing is certain so far ahead 

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

When I do click on the individual pages let's say for "The Concert" there is still no casting shown!! On the What's on page I mean which is the page I would book from!

I can't find anywhere else to see this but am wary about booking until it's shown officially .....even though I know for ballet nothing is certain so far ahead 

If you go to https://www.roh.org.uk/events/4dy99 then look for Lauren Cuthbertson on it (near the bottom on the right hand side in my browser), you'll see where I mean.

Similar pages for each performance can be got to via https://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2018-19/winter/events?artform=ballet-and-dance&venues=main-stage,linbury-studio-theatre,clore-studio-upstairs&types=performance,rehearsal&days=2,3,4,5,6,7,1&time=all&order=date.

Is that at all helpful? If not, I'll try and paste a link to the season casting sheet which they normally issue once it's been put up in the Friends area.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Here’s one way to find the casting: 

Go to the ROH Home Page. Scroll down and you’ll see the calendar on the right hand side. Go to the month you’re interested in, click on the name of the month at the top of the calendar. All performances for that month should appear. Click on any individual performance and the casting will be there.

Having said that, by the time booking opens for the Winter Season, the casting will probably be available in the normal place.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Having said that, by the time booking opens for the Winter Season, the casting will probably be available in the normal place.

I'm glad someone thinks so :)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, RuthE said:

R&J is in the Spring booking period, which opens for Premium 2 friends at the end of November and for general public at the end of January.

RHowarth, I think your question was "will I know the Spring casting before I have to book for Winter season?"  (I had to read it a few times before I realised you weren't under the misapprehension that it was in the Winter period.)

To which the answer is, possibly (after all, we've just been told some of the Winter season casting the day before the Autumn season went on general sale) but not necessarily.

I did indeed mean that - apologies to Ruth and Bangor Ballet Boy for not being clear! I'm sure the booking periods used to be numbered rather than autumn, winter etc and I had a mental block about what the Winter and Spring seasons were called (despite being on a thread entitled 'Winter season casting'...) Thanks for the answers and clarification. 

• Like 2

Thanks all!! Sorry to be so obtuse I usually just book from the What's On page.

I wondered how so many on here seemed to have "prior" knowledge on casting!! 

But I have to say it is odd to have the casting in one place and not in another!! 

Its ts going to be quite a feat working out which performances to go to in the triple bills ( because of wanting to see certain dancers who may not go together!) Especially for the Two Pigeons as I like Asphodel Meadows but want to see Hayward in Pigeons which is with a new work for the RBS so will just have to go twice!! Can't make a decision otherwise! 

Also the Symphony in C triple is difficult as that's combined with two different programmes as well!! Just as well I will be happy to see that twice as well!! 

Im one of those who these days mostly goes just once to each production and go with casts I've not seen in them etc but it's getting harder at the moment to decide who to see as I'm starting to want to see all the casts!!.....which I did a lot way back in the 70's but haven't done this for years now!! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RHowarth said:

I'm sure the booking periods used to be numbered rather than autumn, winter etc

Yes, personally I still think of them as BP1, 2, 3 and 4 regardless of what they might currently call them!

• Like 2

The situation has been even further complicated because the Winter Season casting was put up (badly) on the ROH website the day before booking opened for the Autumn Season.

Their 'seasons' are a bit odd anyway. e.g. Nutcracker starts in December, so in what way is that an 'autumn' production??

Probably a "school term" sort of thing ....the Autumn term runs from September to December! 

However the Spring term is January to March and the Summer term is April to July.

So no winter term really!! 

Just as I retired from teaching Sussex introduced the four term year with slightly different holidays so perhaps there are now four seasons in the new set up.

Sorry this is nothing to do with theatre booking!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Their 'seasons' are a bit odd anyway. e.g. Nutcracker starts in December, so in what way is that an 'autumn' production??

It's because they want to get all that lovely money (for the heavily inflated seat prices) in as early as possible.

• Like 4

and all that lovely money goes to the Royal Opera House, not The Royal Ballet. I was once told that the RB makes more money for the ROH than the Opera, but the top opera singers earn far more than the RB Principals. 

• Like 2

Well, they are guest artists, not salaried staff.  You have to have some compensation for being a freelance.  (And Sylvie Guillem, Carlos Acosta and so on presumably got paid per performance rather than a salary.  It's fine when you're fit and healthy, but not when you're injured.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

and all that lovely money goes to the Royal Opera House, not The Royal Ballet. I was once told that the RB makes more money for the ROH than the Opera, but the top opera singers earn far more than the RB Principals. 

I thought Anthony Russell-Roberts put a stop to that 20 years ago?  And costs may be higher for the Opera, but so are ticket prices.

I can't get too cross about high prices for Nutcracker as (judging by a lot of the comments we see here and the very high proportion of first-timers who go) it's not attended by regulars to the same degree as other productions and - wherever the accountants put the money - it helps balance the books, thereby paying for things I'm more interested in seeing at more affordable prices.

• Like 2

You have a point there, of course, Lizbie, but it still grates with me: I feel first-timers are being ripped off because they don't know any better.  They probably think it's the ROH, and so it's par for the course for tickets to be so expensive.  What bothers me is that they may go on thinking that the Nutcracker is a nice occasional treat (as is Swan Lake, and we know what happened to the prices for that!), but they can't afford it more regularly, and so they may miss out on a lot more affordable ballets which they might really have enjoyed, and which might have sowed the seed for a lifetime's love of ballet.  I feel the ROH may ultimately be shooting itself in the foot here.

Not to mention that a lot of regulars do like the Nutcracker, and are being clobbered by those same high prices.  Not everyone can stand for a performance. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, alison said:

What bothers me is that they may go on thinking that the Nutcracker is a nice occasional treat (as is Swan Lake, and we know what happened to the prices for that!), but they can't afford it more regularly, and so they may miss out on a lot more affordable ballets which they might really have enjoyed, and which might have sowed the seed for a lifetime's love of ballet.

Yes, very good point.

• Like 2

Just to say that this casting list shows Hayward/Campbell as the cast for Two Pigeons at 12 noon on 16 Feb, whereas the website shows Hayward/Bracewell (which I think is likely to be correct). (I got all excited about seeing H/C together! but then realised it was probably a mistake.) I have emailed the ROH to ask about this.

BBB I did find the original link you posted regarding Winter Casting really helpful as have now done all the permutations and come up with some dates that could work .....if there are seats when public booking opens that is!!

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Here's the official casting list

winterballet2018-final.pdf

Thanks, BBB.  I don't think this forum offers any particular way of flagging important posts in a thread so they can be spotted easily, does it? :(

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Just to say that this casting list shows Hayward/Campbell as the cast for Two Pigeons at 12 noon on 16 Feb, whereas the website shows Hayward/Bracewell (which I think is likely to be correct). (I got all excited about seeing H/C together! but then realised it was probably a mistake.) I have emailed the ROH to ask about this.

I've received a reply from the ROH re 16 Feb 12 noon: 'At the moment the pairing is Hayward/Bracewell. This of course is always subject to change.' Which I think is a way of saying 'the casting list is wrong'...

• Like 1

It is definitely Hayward/Bracewell. They have 2 shows and Choe/Campbell also have 2 shows. So :) all round.

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

I've received a reply from the ROH re 16 Feb 12 noon: 'At the moment the pairing is Hayward/Bracewell. This of course is always subject to change.' Which I think is a way of saying 'the casting list is wrong'...

I'm afraid I'm getting increasingly irritated when organisations and interviewees can't simply admit a mistake, apologise, make a correction and move on.  The downside is I'll have to find ways of coping with higher levels of irritation so I'm very pleased to find out the local cinema is showing the Akram Khan Giselle on Monday evening.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, JohnS said:

I'm afraid I'm getting increasingly irritated when organisations and interviewees can't simply admit a mistake, apologise, make a correction and move on.  The downside is I'll have to find ways of coping with higher levels of irritation so I'm very pleased to find out the local cinema is showing the Akram Khan Giselle on Monday evening.

The BBC are the masters of never apologise, never say you got it wrong.  Even now they are still wanting to appeal the Cliff Richard judgement - yet more licence-fee payers money wasted on legal fees.  Then there's the Simon May debacle on Radio 2.  The new format is hated virtually by everybody, yet the BBC expresses themselves 'happy with the way the show is bedding in.'

It is their arrogance that annoys people so much.

• Like 5

On 03/08/2018 at 16:32, capybara said:

It is definitely Hayward/Bracewell. They have 2 shows and Choe/Campbell also have 2 shows. So :) all round.

The Choe/Campbell 2 Pigeons pairing was fabulous last time round, so glad its being revived!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

The BBC are the masters of never apologise, never say you got it wrong.  Even now they are still wanting to appeal the Cliff Richard judgement - yet more licence-fee payers money wasted on legal fees.  Then there's the Simon May debacle on Radio 2.  The new format is hated virtually by everybody, yet the BBC expresses themselves 'happy with the way the show is bedding in.'

Just as worrying, if not more so, is the effect that that the behaviour of the BBC in the Cliff Richard matter may have upon the freedom of the press in the future. And sorry to sound dense but what is the Simon May debacle about?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

The BBC are the masters of never apologise, never say you got it wrong.  Even now they are still wanting to appeal the Cliff Richard judgement - yet more licence-fee payers money wasted on legal fees.  

Sadly the 'never apologise' seems to be the modern trend everywhere, not just the BBC. The Cliff case was very poor judgement in the way it was handled - but there again, had it been true and they hadn't been all over it, then it would have been another sorta Jimmy Saville case to bash them with (as Cliff appeared on the BBC so much, even after the peak of his career), so I can perhaps understand their (flawed) logic in doing what they did. As for apologies, they'll never come whilst there are still the whiff of court cases around - but agree wholeheartedly about the waste of cash of said court cases on appeals etc. They should just take it on the chin, pay the fine, apologise, amend practices and we can move on

• Like 6