Royal Ballet 2018/2019 Winter Season Casting

I'm starting a new thread as the old one is just for triple bills.

The Don Q casting is now on the ROH website:

https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/don-quixote-by-carlos-acosta

Friday February 15 7.30 Nuñez Muntagirov

Saturday February 16 Takada McRae

Tuesday February 19 Takada McRae

Wednesday February 20 Nuñez Muntagirov

Friday February 22 Cuthbertson Ball

Saturday February 23 mat Kaneko Corrales

Saturday February 23 eve Nuñez Muntagirov

Wednesday February 27 Kaneko Corrales

Friday March 1 Takada McRae

Saturday March 2 Naghdi Sambé

Friday March 22 Cuthbertson Ball

Monday March 25 Osipova Corrales

Saturday March 30 mat Magri Campbell

Saturday March 30 eve Osipova Corrales

Monday April 1 Cuthbertson Ball

Wednesday April 3 Naghdi Sambé

Thursday April 4 Magri Campbell

edited to correct April 3 casting typo

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 6

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, capybara said:

Thanks BBB but there is something amiss with casting order in the first triple and The Two Pigeons is missing when it is combined with Asphodel Meadows. Strange.

As I said on the mixed bills page, you need to click through to the individual show pages.

Not a huge fan of Acosta's production but could not resist Kaneko/Osipova & Corrales ... and Naghdi/Sambe .... Luscious ...  and so glad that Morera is back for the triple :) (and her very vibrant Gypsy Girl!)... and Hayward/Bracewell and Takaka/Hay for Two Pigeons' leads even now seem sublime!!!

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, capybara said:

Thanks BBB but there is something amiss with casting order in the first triple and The Two Pigeons is missing when it is combined with Asphodel Meadows. Strange.

I think ROH must be loading all casting :)  On Naghdi's page it already shows she dancing Irina in "Winters Dream" http://www.roh.org.uk/people/yasmine-naghdi

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

As I said on the mixed bills page, you need to click through to the individual show pages.

Sorry, didn't spot that.

But there's some really exciting options coming up and some really empty pockets too.

• Like 1

Hmmm, disappointed Francesca Hayward and Beatriz Stix-Brunell were not cast as Kitri.  Especially Hayward who as a principal is not debuting any major role in full-lengths next season.

Has Cuthbertson danced Don Q before?  Beautiful dancer but I can't picture her as Kitri at all.  I had a similar thought about Lamb when I saw her in the 2015 D.C. tour: great dancer, wrong role.  But I see Lamb is not dancing Don Q in this run.

6 minutes ago, MRR said:

Hmmm, disappointed Francesca Hayward and Beatriz Stix-Brunell were not cast as Kitri.  Especially Hayward who as a principal is not debuting any major role in full-lengths next season.

Doesn't the Young Girl in Two Pigeons almost count as a role in a full length?  

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/k4xp7

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/2jz77

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

Can't comment as I haven't seen Two Pigeons, but good to see she is debuting that.  Maybe bravura technique isn't her strong suit, which wouldn't make her an ideal Odile, Kitri, or Gamzatti?  But even then, she has proven quite adept at MacMillan and I would've hoped for a Vetsera debut at the very least.

• Like 1

Obviously Mr O'Hare casts his dancers according to their suitability to dance particular roles. Perhaps the repertoire next Season is not much in her favour but I am sure we'll get to enjoy her in Two Pigeons, hopefully also in Patineurs, and a few other shorter ballets. Surely she'll dance R&J too I guess. 

For Don Q,  they are using just 5 of the  female principals for the lead, and 4 of the male principals, with no leads for Hayward, Lamb, Morera, Soares, Bonelli, Kish, Watson, or Hirano. So good roles for first soloists Kaneko, Magri, Corrales, and Sambe.  Kish seems absent from anything so far published for autumn and winter. 

After arguing for some changes in who gets the filming, I am delighted  that Takada (with McRae) is down for  the live screening (and hopefully a DVD) as Kitri; also very pleased to note debuts (I believe) for Naghdi and Sambe   Magri (another debut?) and Campbell also catches the eye.

Looking forward also very much to Hayward and Bracewell partnering in The Two Pigeons.....two more debuts? 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

Mary Vetsera would be a perfect role for Hayward !

Very weird she is cast as a first soloist or even as a soloist not as a principal next season....

Kevin O'Hare seems to be disapointed...

2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

I think ROH must be loading all casting :)  On Naghdi's page it already shows she dancing Irina in "Winters Dream" http://www.roh.org.uk/people/yasmine-naghdi

Same thing for Francesca Hayward and Akane Takada, they are also cast as Irina on their own pages.  It seems they don't update all the pages in one go. 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, MAX said:

Very weird she is cast as a first soloist or even as a soloist not as a principal next season....

Kevin O'Hare seems to be disapointed...

Hardly likely, Max, after her 17/18 season. I think she is just being cast in 18/19 as the (young) principal that she is... after all she is still  SPF in Nutcracker, creating a role in The Unknown Soldier, and debuting as The Girl in  The Two Pigeons and Irina in Winter Dreams.  Also there are 4 more ballets yet to be cast for the Spring and Summer 2019, including Frankenstein and Romeo and Juliet (which she has danced before). But  I share some disappointment in not yet being able to see her as  Mary V,  Nikiya, or Kitri. 

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 3

Max, which of Hayward's appearances in the last season do you think KO'H might have been disappointed in?

This is a genuine question and I'm not looking to stir anything up: I haven't seen her in a lot this year and haven't seen anything but praise for her performances.

To me the coming Season looks very much a season during which Mr O'Hare's wants to further develop his youngest Principal ballerinas Takada and Naghdi in the classics and in tutu roles (I wouldn't be surprised if Takada and Naghdi are also given Firebird), closely followed by opportunities for the lovely First Soloist Fumi Kaneko and for Mayara Magri. Mr O'Hare is also beginning to expose his younger Principals to a worldwide cinema audience: Takada (with McRae) in Don Quixote and Naghdi (with Ball) - unconfirmed but based on the ROH poster shown on their website under Cinema relay section - in Romeo&Juliet.

• Like 1

Les Patineurs

Blue Boy only

18 Dec, 4 Jan Sambé

19, 20(e) Dec Corrales

20(m) Dec, 2 Jan Hay

Winter Dreams

Masha/Vershinin/Irina/Olga

18 Dec, 4 Jan Nuñez/Soares/Hayward/Mendizabal

19 Dec, 20(e) Lamb/Muntagirov/Naghdi/Heap

20(m) Dec, 2 Jan Morera/Hirano/Takada/Calvert

The Concert

Solo lady only

18, 20(e) Dec Cuthbertson

19, 20(m) Dec Hamilton

2, 4 Jan Lamb

Asphodel Meadows

18 Jan, 2(e), 13 Feb Nuñez/Hirano/Morera/Bracewell/Hinkis/Acri

19(m) Jan, 2(m), 5 Feb Kaneko/Richardson/Magri/Corrales/Maeda/Dyer

The Two Pigeons

Young Girl/Young Man/Gypsy Girl/Lover

18 Jan, 5 Feb Cuthbertson/Muntagirov/Morera/Mock

19(m) Jan Stix-Brunell/Clarke/Calvert/Bjørneboe Brændsrød

2(m), 14 Feb Choe/Campbell/Mendizabal/Edmonds

2(e), 13 Feb Takada/Hay/Magri/Montaño

12, 16(m) Feb Hayward/Bracewell/Kaneko/Zucchetti

Don Quixote

Kitri/Basilio

15, 20, 23 Feb Nuñez/Muntagirov

16, 19 Feb, 1 Mar Takada/McRae

22 Feb, 22 Mar, 1 Apr Cuthbertson/Ball

23(m), 27 Feb Kaneko/Corrales

2 Mar, 3 Apr Naghdi/Sambé

25, 30(e) Mar Osipova/Corrales

30(m) Mar, 4 Apr Magri/Campbell

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Les Patineurs

Blue Boy only

18 Dec, 4 Jan Sambé

19, 20(e) Dec Corrales

20(m) Dec, 2 Jan Hay

Winter Dreams

Masha/Vershinin/Irina/Olga

18 Dec, 4 Jan Nuñez/Soares/Hayward/Mendizabal

19 Dec, 20(e) Lamb/Muntagirov/Naghdi/Heap

20(m) Dec, 2 Jan Morera/Hirano/Takada/Calvert

The Concert

Solo lady only

18, 20(e) Dec Cuthbertson

19, 20(m) Dec Hamilton

2, 4 Jan Lamb

Asphodel Meadows

18 Jan, 2(e), 13 Feb Nuñez/Hirano/Morera/Bracewell/Hinkis/Acri

19(m) Jan, 2(m), 5 Feb Kaneko/Richardson/Magri/Corrales/Maeda/Dyer

The Two Pigeons

Young Girl/Young Man/Gypsy Girl/Lover

18 Jan, 5 Feb Cuthbertson/Muntagirov/Morera/Mock

19(m) Jan Stix-Brunell/Clarke/Calvert/Bjørneboe Brændsrød

2(m), 14 Feb Choe/Campbell/Mendizabal/Edmonds

2(e), 13 Feb Takada/Hay/Magri/Montaño

12, 16(m) Feb Hayward/Bracewell/Kaneko/Zucchetti

Don Quixote

Kitri/Basilio

15, 20, 23 Feb Nuñez/Muntagirov

16, 19 Feb, 1 Mar Takada/McRae

22 Feb, 22 Mar, 1 Apr Cuthbertson/Ball

23(m), 27 Feb Kaneko/Corrales

2 Mar, 3 Apr Naghdi/Sambé

25, 30(e) Mar Osipova/Corrales

30(m) Mar, 4 Apr Magri/Campbell

I must be going a bit silly, but I am looking at the website and the last performance of Two Pigeons is the 13th February and there is no casting at all. Someone out their put me right please.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

I must be going a bit silly, but I am looking at the website and the last performance of Two Pigeons is the 13th February and there is no casting at all. Someone out their put me right please.

The 3 performances with the RB School are listed separately. And you can see the casting by clicking on the 'more info' button.

31 minutes ago, nycitybird said:

It seems impossible to choose one Two Pigeons cast. A good problem to have I suppose.

I am finding that problem with most RB productions at the moment! Until I took up a renewed interest in ballet last year, I would never have imagined going to more than one performance in a run of any stage production - now (like other Forum members) I am not only going to see different casts in the same run, but sometimes choosing to see the same cast more than once. Expensive, but so enjoyable.....

• Like 5