Food (and other product) rip-offs

alison

The posting announcing the reversion of Toblerone to its previous size and shape, albeit at a significantly increased price, has reminded me that I was intending to start a thread "outing" some of the sneaky reductions in quantity/increases in price of foods and other goods that have been happening in recent years.  There are now so many different weights and prices that it's difficult to know what used to be what, but I'm pretty sure a lot of cans used to be 435 g rather than 415 g (see how much easier it is to fudge things when you use metric measurements rather than imperial ones such as 12 oz?!).  I'm thinking I might hang on to all my old Sainsburys online purchase records to remind myself what used to be sold in what amounts!

So, starter for 10:

I picked up a 3-pack of standard John West tuna chunks the other day, and thought there was something a bit wrong with the quantities: 3 x 145 g.  Compared it with the partly-used 4 pack I had in the storage cupboard: 4 x 160 g!  In what appears to be exactly the same size can, of course :(  Not only is there an overall reduction in weight of 15 g, but the drained weights are 112 g compared with 95 g, which means 2 g more oil/less fish.  Sneaky.

McVities twin packs of digestives until recently used to be 2 x 500 g, but have now been reduced to 2 x 400 g.  However, Sainsburys at least haven't reduced the price!  Fortunately Iceland do a rather better-value multi-buy.

2 hours ago, alison said:

McVities twin packs of digestives until recently used to be 2 x 500 g, but have now been reduced to 2 x 400 g.  However, Sainsburys at least haven't reduced the price!  Fortunately Iceland do a rather better-value multi-buy.

And singles are also 400g - very frustrating when a favourite recipe uses 250g.

I'm afraid I'm still a bit peeved when Total yogurt went from 10% fat to 5% fat.

multi-packs of Wispas. They went from 4 packs of standard size, to 3 packs of the 'duo' size - for the same price! I think they are now 4 packs of duo size, but still hugely overcharged compared to how they used to be 😞

I know the topic is 'rip offs' but I have to say there are many regular offers.  I can't remember the last time I bought wine not in a 25% reduction for 6+ bottles nor Green&Blacks chocolate not at the £1.50 offer.

• Like 2