Royal Ballet School holding more international auditions

DD Driver

4 hours ago, Nicola H said:

Please put your Dunning-Kruger card  down  for a moment,  as all you  are doing is embarassing yourself and  demonstrating  where your  knowledge is  dangerously weak. 

What a completely unnecessary comment! 

@ArucariaBallerina - ignore such an unkind and inaccurate comment. I never understand what this persons trying to say half the time anyway - the words yes, the meaning no. 

• Like 8

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Nicola H said:

Please put your Dunning-Kruger card  down  for a moment,  as all you  are doing is embarassing yourself and  demonstrating  where your  knowledge is  dangerously weak.

i very rarely comment on here, but gosh, how rude and condescending

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Nicola H said:

Nicola, if you knew that Arucaria is still only a teenager, then your comment shows an outstanding lack of moral kindness and empathy. To accuse a child of this is abusive in the extreme.

If you didn't know Arucaria's age when you wrote this comment, then your readiness to attack a stranger is disturbing and bordering on sociopathic.

Edited by glissade
  • Like 4

Anyway, hope you're OK, Arucaria. It's all just strangers on the internet ...

Desperately trying to yank this thread back ON-topic: perhaps we need to chalk up the RBS Insta post simply to them putting on Instagram what they already do? I gather that one of the main reasons for participating in the Prix de Lausanne and the Youth America Grand Prix is the opportunity to be considered for a scholarship at a handful of the world's best ballet schools. And that this has always been the case - this isn't a new policy, as far as I know.

I know it's a difficult topic, but personally, I'm quite proud of the fact that British ballet schools are in the category of "best in the world." Up there with the Vaganova Institute, the Bolshoi Ballet school, and so on. And training international dancers in a specifically & recognisably "English" style, just as the Danish National school trains dancers in Bournonville style, or the Vaganova Institute trains in a typically "Russian" style.

We might all - justifiably in my view - be worried about the future of general arts education in this country, of course. In my field, we suffer from the exclusion of creative arts from the eBacc. The arts generally are becoming the preserve of pupils in fee-paying schools or with parents with resources to do extra-curricular music, theatre, dance &etc. It's awful. There is a horridly instrumentalist (dare I say philistine?) attitude in our current government, and the general "Nobody trusts experts" atmosphere. But we can fight this - at the ballot box, in our schools, in our communities. This forum is part of that - grass roots activism to promote the arts!

[PS: Some message boards software have an "Ignore" function - does this one?]

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 2

(Thanks everyone for all their kindness and support! Nicola, I'm sorry for angering you in any way, but I forgive you for what you said. Wish you all the best .)

I like the diversity in English schools and companies.... Without  international auditions etc, our stages wouldn't be blessed with Marianela Nunez, and other beautiful dancers! And said dancers are always hard working, talented and passionate, so they definitely deserve their place! I'm sure lots of English dancers are just as good, but perhaps their technique takes longer to flourish... Foreign dancers are more like bubbly, fizzing champagne, and English dancers are like fine red wine that blooms with age!

• Like 8

I am not stalking you Taxi but I tried your advice by hovering over your name and nothing happened until I got so close it took me to your home page!! More than once!

Edited by LinMM

One thing I will say which could be misleading about competitions is that some dancers spend months and months just rehearsing one variation.

A competitor at the Prix said that he had to go into his performance with only two to three weeks of preparation and then learned that some others had been practising the same piece for months! 

When you watch Belinda Hatley rehearsing the year 9/10 girls from the World Ballet Day videos I thought they were all delightful and am sure if she had given them a piece from Coppelia and asked them to practice the same piece every day for three months they would be on a par for sure. 

Quite a lot of girls from abroad who manage to get into the Upper School have been through White Lodge for a number of years anyway not all from abroad have only just gone into the first year of Upper schl etc.

17 minutes ago, LinMM said:

One thing I will say which could be misleading about competitions is that some dancers spend months and months just rehearsing one variation.

A competitor at the Prix said that he had to go into his performance with only two to three weeks of preparation and then learned that some others had been practising the same piece for months! 

When you watch Belinda Hatley rehearsing the year 9/10 girls from the World Ballet Day videos I thought they were all delightful and am sure if she had given them a piece from Coppelia and asked them to practice the same piece every day for three months they would be on a par for sure. 

Quite a lot of girls from abroad who manage to get into the Upper School have been through White Lodge for a number of years anyway not all from abroad have only just gone into the first year of Upper schl etc.

Out of the original 12 English girls who started at wl in year 7 only 2 have been accepted into upper school the rest have either been assessed out or have left. The majority of the foreign girls who are starting at upper school this year have only been at wl for 2 years so they haven’t exactly been through their system of training they have been brought in to make the school look good and according to a teacher from the school they only take through the English because of the funding scheme from the government!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

(Thanks everyone for all their kindness and support! Nicola, I'm sorry for angering you in any way, but I forgive you for what you said. Wish you all the best .)

I like the diversity in English schools and companies.... Without  international auditions etc, our stages wouldn't be blessed with Marianela Nunez, and other beautiful dancers! And said dancers are always hard working, talented and passionate, so they definitely deserve their place! I'm sure lots of English dancers are just as good, but perhaps their technique takes longer to flourish... Foreign dancers are more like bubbly, fizzing champagne, and English dancers are like fine red wine that blooms with age!

Arucaria, you have done nothing wrong and you do not need to apologise.  

Diversity on any world stage, be that ballet or football, can only ever be a good thing.  I have favourite RB and ENB dancers from many different countries; what draws me to them is the quality of their storytelling, their beautiful lines, their watchability and stage presence, as well as the quality of their dancing.  

I think what people are questioning is not diversity in either schools or companies, but the disconnect in the UK between careful age-and physique-appropriate training at Lower School level (and balancing training with academics) and what Upper Schools are looking for.  The latter seems quite often to be hot-housed competition winners, some of whom may have been put en pointe far too early and whose careers may well be short-lived due to injury.  When British-trained dancers are cast aside after a year or two years of upper school, to make way for competition winners brought in for one year, one might wonder why.    

As for the miraculous Marianela Nuñez - if I remember rightly, she started her professional career at 14.  Given the scarcity of paid ballet contracts for girls graduating from UK schools, let alone the girls who have been injured or assessed out, I don't think many parents in this country would be happy for our daughters to start a ballet career with no GCSEs or academic backup at all.  Dancers like Nuñez are a rarity! ☺️

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I am not stalking you Taxi but I tried your advice by hovering over your name and nothing happened until I got so close it took me to your home page!! More than once!

Wait... what??!!

Are you on a laptop - that's how it works on mine. You just move the cursor over the name. The other options are 'message' and 'find content' and it is alongside those. 

Well I must admit it was a bit disturbing to read that the Director of RBS wasn't there to assess the auditions here in UK 

Could have been a clash of dates but doesn't exactly look like very good planning on RBS part does it. The Prix dates are known a year in advance!! 

I have a friend who is a Friend of the RBS she might have more internal knowledge I will ask her next time I see her.

Yes perhaps not all those students from abroad have been at White Lodge since Year 7 but have joined a couple of years later but I suppose more "home grown" than complete newbys coming into Year 12. 

Even girls going into year 7 have trained somewhere else first! 

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Well I must admit it was a bit disturbing to read that the Director of RBS wasn't there to assess the auditions here in UK 

Could have been a clash of dates but doesn't exactly look like very good planning on RBS part does it. The Prix dates are known a year in advance!! 

Not for the first time, I understand?

Of course, Darcey Bussell didn't join the RBS until she was 13, and it doesn't seem to have done her career any harm, although I think she said she had to work extra hard to catch up.  Plus of course there's the problem of integrating into a school when the other pupils have already had a couple of years to get to know each other.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

Well this is a kick in the teeth for British training, isn't it? It appears they are only interested in applicants who have been intensively trained elsewhere in the world. They are going the same way as ENBS.

I would think it is financial. They are aiming for talent but also people that have some finances behind them.

• Like 3

Re: pointe work. No one wants to see the return of 5 years old on pointe but there is research that now shows it does not have a great effect on growth plates. Age is not a great predictor as one 12 year old is vastly different from another. I have pasted a link below.  I would rather base my opinions on research than traditional opinions about when someone should start. No one should be insulting anyone else let alone a child.

The magazine article alludes to some of the research being conducted.

http://dancemagazine.com.au/2018/01/making-the-choice-to-the-pointe-the-right-age-to-go-en-pointe/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Arucaria, just to reiterate: you have nothing to apologise for.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kate_N said:

Personally, I'm very proud that this country is still seen as a world centre for dance and dance training - that our teachers, facilities, State investment in the arts and in arts education is at the very top of the world.  And international mobility is a two-way thing - look at the experiences of members of this forum, with their own or their children's ability to move abroad to study at the highest level. 

I think this is an important point.  Against fierce competition from overseas, these top schools and companies have endured.

Just challenging, I'm sure, at a personal level.

By the way...On the RBS website, it states that the RBS will be at the Prix in Sept 2018 (video audition selection time) and IBStage Grand Prix in Nov 2018

But NOT attending YAGP this year.   Not sure if that is a schedule conflict or change in direction

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/train/apply/audition-dates-venues/#1532077195396-6fd45c38-712d

it looks like i have some apologies  to make .... 

Firstly to  @ArucariaBallerina  my Dunning -Kruger comment  was  out of line and I Apologise  to you for saying that.   I agree that you have little if anything  to apologise for in your comments or conduct in this  thread.  If you  wish to  find out a little more about  learning  and development   associated topics  i'd be happy to  point you in the direction of  relevant  resources,   this applies to any and all other readers of  the  thread . 

Secondly  to the  readership in general  for  making a post to the  thread that  took it  off course. 

Thirdly  for having to  go  to work on  a Saturday afternoon  and not  being  able to  make the the first apology  until nearly midnight. 

However  the thread has raised  some  other issues ,  I do not especially wish   to  drag this out, but  it  takes an awful lot of DALOG  to equal the 4600  hours  of  my  primary HE  qualification and  Not  currently active  Professional Registration,   ditto with the various   training and assessing awards  I have held or  currently  hold.  nor  am i going to  labour  the point  about  the CPD  i had to do in former professional roles which is  directly  relevant   certain issues  of  physiology. 

I find the  tone of certain posters to be rather close to the  edge  and  especially  distressing  from the way in which it has been phrased in this  thread. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Nicola H said:

there's another Apology i Need to make   Publicly  as well as by  PM 

@DD Driver  sorry for turning  your  thread into a  trainwreck  

ha ha - I don't think so but thank you!

You apologised and I hope no one feels a need to review the detail of that.  ONWARDS >>>>

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DD Driver said:

ha ha - I don't think so but thank you!

You apologised and I hope no one feels a need to review the detail of that.  ONWARDS >>>>

@taxi4ballet  raised an interesting  question  and one  which arguably   is  deserving of it's own thread ... so  i made a thread  for that question, which  us mere mortals can comment upon ...