Carlos Acosta named as new Artistic Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the best candidates for this role and at this time....

but it is great to see current dancers like Steven McRae preparing themselves for these kind of roles in the future. I know he did a degree in Business Management & Leadership whilst working full-time.  He is now doing a post-grad degree in Marketing through Exeter Uni online. 

• Like 3

I  hope Bintley's departure from BRB means he'll have time to revive Tombeaux and Penguin Café at Covent Garden, and create something new for them.

With regard to the interview process see below extract from the initial press release (with my underlining)

The BRB board will be advised at each stage by the expert panel, who will also conduct the interviews of the shortlisted candidates and recommend a candidate or candidates for final interview by the board. The aim is to announce the new appointment by the end of the year.

On 26/07/2018 at 22:31, DD Driver said:

I don't know about the best candidates for this role and at this time....

but it is great to see current dancers like Steven McRae preparing themselves for these kind of roles in the future. I know he did a degree in Business Management & Leadership whilst working full-time.  He is now doing a post-grad degree in Marketing through Exeter Uni online. 

Wow.  Does anyone know if he is fit again, ditto Ed Watson?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MAX said:

Of course they can ask someone to apply....

I turned down the opportunity because, although I love the city, I didn't want to move to Birmingham and the board wouldn't move the company to Liverpool!

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I turned down the opportunity because, although I love the city, I didn't want to move to Birmingham and the board wouldn't move the company to Liverpool!

Likewise me. They wouldn’t move to Bristol either. They would be able to keep the same abbreviation. BRB

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

3 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Likewise me. They wouldn’t move to Bristol either. They would be able to keep the same abbreviation. BRB

Well they say it is an international search but

the board would not move the company to Sydney either!

Tax reasons I imagine.

• Like 2

I would apply; I'm very qualified - I live in Brum and I take regular ballet classes, so, of course, I know all about ballet. I won't though - I'd be accused of destroying the heritage by culling all of the Ashton from the repertoire.

• Like 3

On 31/07/2018 at 10:16, trog said:

I would apply; I'm very qualified - I live in Brum and I take regular ballet classes, so, of course, I know all about ballet. I won't though - I'd be accused of destroying the heritage by culling all of the Ashton from the repertoire.

Let's hope the new director doesn't decide to cull the Ashton rep all by his/herself.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The clock is ticking for the closing date for applications to succeed David Bintley. ( Perhaps a few people will  be having restless nights this weekend) . Is there likely to be any news about who has put their hat in the ring before a final decision is made?

For obvious reasons, short lists are a closely guarded secret and, these days, candidates for positions such as this will not know about who else is being considered.

I was interested to see that one possible, and highly qualified/experienced, candidate has recently added to his portfolio in the Netherlands.

I wonder whether anyone has considered the possibility of there being one Royal Ballet with two main performing centres and a touring brief?

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

There was, of course, the proposal some ten years ago now that the Royal Ballet establish a second base in Manchester but that fizzled out.  (There was nothing there about a touring brief, as I recall.)  I'd agree that BRB has now very much its own identity and, if I'm not mistaken, what was then the Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet was invited by Birmingham City Council to settle down there, with an offer of facilities in the City as part of the deal.  How correct I am on that, I can't say offhand, but I'd say we could be certain of a very adverse reaction in Birmingham were anything to happen that would lessen the current identification with the City.  And might not there be technicalities over the Royal Charter?  Etc etc etc.

• Like 2

Yes Ian, your memory serves you well. Sir Peter Wright discusses this at some length in his autobiography. I recently watched an old recording I have about the move to Birmingham when the then leader of the council talked about the discussions they had with key members of the ROH   - including Dame Ninette - the intention was to invite the company to be part of Birmingham without there being any hold over their artistic direction  ( my own words) I think this is key to the issues which surround their current situation. . Interesting you mention the Manchester idea - I wonder what happened to that?

• Like 1

The idea for Manchester was to have a Royal Opera House North based at the Palace Theatre (yuck) in Manchester.  There was a sample number of performances per annum given that would very nearly match the number of performances already given by ENB, BRB and NB in Manchester, Salford, and Liverpool.

In my opinion it would have very adversely affected those 3 companies on the basis that many casual audience members would go for "The Royal Ballet" rather than the other companies.

I think it fell apart because austerity arrived!

Followers of BRB are very proud of the separate entity that the Company has become over the last 28 years and I think there would be rioting in the streets if the 2 companies were joined back together (i would certainly join in).  Sometimes closing the circle is not the best way ahead.

• Like 7

Given that we do have ENB and NB, I must admit that I've never quite understood the rationale for having a 'Birmingham' RB, much as I love the company itself. The old SWRB/touring company did have a clear purpose, as the touring arm of the RB; linking that to one particular city seems a bit strange to me (though I understand the funding/facilities offers that precipitated it). It implies a local rather than a national remit, which is not really accurate.

But I do agree that the companies couldn't be rejoined; BRB does now have its own identity and a 're-merger' would be neither feasible nor desirable.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 1

But Bridem, BRB has a clear rationale as a company that is based in the Midlands where there is a large population who surely deserve to have a ballet company that serves their community - indeed  it has excellent educational and community links. Yes, they tour, but they perform regularly in Birmingham and the company performs many new works which are choreographed on their dancers . Their repertory is, as noted in other forums, distinct from the Royal Ballet although they share the same heritage. I know you know all this -but isn't this sufficient reason for them to have a distinctive and continuing presence? 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

But Bridem, BRB has a clear rationale as a company that is based in the Midlands where there is a large population who surely deserve to have a ballet company that serves their community - indeed  it has excellent educational and community links. Yes, they tour, but they perform regularly in Birmingham and the company performs many new works which are choreographed on their dancers . Their repertory is, as noted in other forums, distinct from the Royal Ballet although they share the same heritage. I know you know all this -but isn't this sufficient reason for them to have a distinctive and continuing presence? 

You've put it much better than me Odyssey!  NB is linked to Leeds, where it is based and ENB is based in London.  I know I'm from Liverpool but, as far as I am concerned, Birmingham is the perfect base for the company!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

if I'm not mistaken, what was then the Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet was invited by Birmingham City Council to settle down there, with an offer of facilities in the City as part of the deal.  

You're absolutely correct!  However, that was 1990 and Birmingham City's finances are now  in a sorry state.

I suppose the thought struck me that, in this day and age, many institutions merge their infrastructures as a way of cutting costs without diminishing the 'services' they offer. And, if funding is a problem now and going forward, a 'merger' might be one way of safeguarding the future for BRB.

I don't want to see that happen any more than anyone else does but, sometimes, when the 'top jobs' are going to become vacant, all sorts of organisational options come into the frame.

• Like 1

Well I suppose the Royal Ballet could become merged with BRB!!!

When the Liverpool Playhouse got into financial difficulties in the late 1990s it was saved by merging with the Liverpool Everyman.  For me, the Playhouse had always been the "senior" theatre and it now just has, to me, a corporate identity with the Everyman.  That is something I very much regret.

• Like 1

My fear for BRB is that the new regime will slash the number of dancers and prune the orchestra to result in a company near the size which carries out the mid-scale tours.

When the move to Birmingham was first proposed there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the idea of London losing SWRB.  Anyone who looked at the overall picture at the time could see that either the company took up Birmingham's offer or it would either be scaled down or dissolved all together.  

The City Council made good all its financial pledges but it must be accepted that the current situation is very different.  If the company is greatly changed I will hang on to the notion that the company of around 60 dancers, creative staff and a full orchestra have had almost 30 very successful years.

The Company has benefited from a good following wind from the Council.  However, given the changing demographic of the City we may find that the future composition of the Council could be very averse to some cultural activities.

Edited by Two Pigeons
Lost plural
  • Like 1

I think despite the current financial plight of the city, Birmingham has designs on shoring up its international status. Hence the bid for the Commonwealth games and the huge ongoing investment in the redesigning of the City Centre. I don’t think there is necessarily a threat to the existence of BRB, but the artistic direction is definitely at stake. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Well - yes; but I don't really think of them as a Midlands company, in spite of all the good work they do in Birmingham. I think they're also a company of national importance and standing. If Birmingham gives them the funding that has allowed that to be maintained, that's great; but I think it complicates the marketing and identity of the company to a wider public.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bridiem said:

Well - yes; but I don't really think of them as a Midlands company, in spite of all the good work they do in Birmingham. I think they're also a company of national importance and standing. If Birmingham gives them the funding that has allowed that to be maintained, that's great; but I think it complicates the marketing and identity of the company to a wider public.

Well what would you suggest Bridiem?

2 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Well what would you suggest Bridiem?

Given the current situation, I don't have a suggestion! ENB have taken that name, and presumably Birmingham would anyway want name recognition of its financial input etc. So we are where we are (as they say).

7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Given the current situation, I don't have a suggestion! ENB have taken that name, and presumably Birmingham would anyway want name recognition of its financial input etc. So we are where we are (as they say).

When the company was called Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet, most people had either not heard of Sadler's Wells or did not realise it was in London.

Most people know of Birmingham and where it is.

Surely companies can have a national importance AND an indication of where they are based without the one affecting the other?

• Like 6