Audition Notice: Children's auditions for BRB's Albert Hall Nutcracker season December 2018

Jan McNulty

Hi guys, yep, we are on the train back home now! Been a tiring day but DS has loved it. We even got to the M&M shop in Leicester Square he was so desperate to see!!

The chap on the door said we would all know within a week, whether our DC have places or not. He also said about BRB paying for hotels for the times when rehearsals are two days together and in a Holiday Inn in London somewhere. Ballet shoes and costumes would be provided, and 4 tickets for each performance I think he said! 

DS was the only boy in the 2.30 class, but I saw another one going in at 3.30. If anything height will be against him but he said he had thoroughly enjoyed being a rat, rolling round scratching! 😆 The other thing they’d had them doing was feigning surprise on Christmas morning. 

And so the waiting begins, again! 😂😆 xx

Hi guys, yep, we are on the train back home now! Been a tiring day but DS has loved it. We even got to the M&M shop in Leicester Square he was so desperate to see!!

The chap on the door said we would all know within a week, whether our DC have places or not. He also said about BRB paying for hotels for the times when rehearsals are two days together and in a Holiday Inn in London somewhere. Ballet shoes and costumes would be provided, and 4 tickets for each performance I think he said! 

DS was the only boy in the 2.30 class, but I saw another one going in at 3.30. If anything height will be against him but he said he had thoroughly enjoyed being a rat, rolling round scratching! 😆 The other thing they’d had them doing was feigning surprise on Christmas morning. 

And so the waiting begins, again! 😂😆 xx

My daughter was at the 11.15 class and had a lovely time, i was suprised by the rehearsal locations as they were different to the ones stated on the audition site. It is nice that they contribute £100 for travel or to put towards staying at a holiday Inn if they are fortunate enough to gain a place. They will be 16 lucky boys and girls who get to perform at the Royal Albert Hall.

Thanks for all the information everyone. I didn’t hear anything about being a rat from DS but all about having to look disgusted when he was given a nut! He has practiced that face a lot at home in the past when tea is not to his very fussy liking!! 😂

So we had a no for my little DD but found the experience fascinating to get a little insight into the world of ballet auditions! I take my hat off to you all for going through this multiple times to help your DC achieve their dreams! Good luck to all for future auditions this year! 🍀

• Like 1

Aww no for us too, DS not too bothered about it as he always knew he was on the tall side for a part, so just went for the experience.

Wouldnt it be lovely if they could have used more kids on less days, just to give them a taste of the big stage. I guess it’s down to costumes and funding at the end of the day.

When I win the lotto I’ll produce a ballet with all our DC in, best go buy a ticket!😆😆😆

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, Onpointe11 said:

What an amazing opportunity this was, Does anyone know if they hold auditions for this every year?  I can imagine rehearsals start very early on. 😊

They did last year and this year at The Royal Albert Hall. Have not heard any announcement yet about next year. Rehearsals start in October half term. All rehearsals this year were in Birmingham. X

Edited by pinkbex81

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2019 at 21:31, Ms Sunshine said:

The BRB Nutcracker Hippadrome run the children were from Birmingham Royal ballet associates or Elmhurst Young dancers and selected by Marion Tait in September.  xx

The children for the Albert Hall ballet were selected from open auditions for the past 2 years and anyone who meets the height criteria can audition.

The Birmingham hippodrome ballet are indeed selected by Marion Tait from the  both Elmhurst and RB  JAs in Birmingham. 

A very worthwile experience for any budding ballet dancer!