2017/18 UK Ballet Season Highlights (all companies!)

Things have gone a little quiet on the Forum so I thought that sharing highlights (productions, companies, performances, individual artists, special moments) could prove interesting.

It's also a nice, positive topic - well, I hope that it is :)

• Like 8

Mine was going to the PDL 2018 (I have always wanted to go) and seeing some amazingly talented students - maybe even a future ballet ‘superstar’ in gold medalist and Nureyev Prize winner Shale Wagman (joining ENB for next season).  Hanna Park (S Korea) also stood out as being an exceptionally gifted dancer too (prize winner and joining RBS in September). I look forward to seeing where the ballet world will take them in the future 🌟

• Like 4

In no particular order, my three big highlights were:

• Royal Ballet Giselle with the four big debuts (Hayward/Campbell then Naghdi/Ball) within 24 hours - we complain a lot about scheduling here, but that was a real treat
  • RB Swan Lake - sad I could only get to three plus the cinema relay, and again, schedulng Naghdi and Ball's (separate) debuts for the same day was very helpful
  • Northern Ballet's Jane Eyre - didn't just move me to (uncharacteristic) tears but was genuinely revelatory, and not just about the novel and the character of Jane Eyre; it demonstrated exactly what female choreographers can bring to a narrative work. And it was beautifully scored and danced!
  • Like 6

Great topic Capybara.

I'm only going to cover January to July because I've got a recollection of covering the Autumn seasons at the end of December.

Gosh I've been privileged to see some wonderful performances this year!

First of all the is BRB's magnificent run of Sleeping Beautys in the spring.  I can't ever remember a time in my thirty-odd years of ballet watching that the company has been able to field 9 (yes 9) Auroras and I have wanted to see all of them!  I managed to catch 7 of the casts over 9 performances.  Each cast gave something of themselves to the role.  My especial highlight was Nao Sakuma full stop!!  I saw her do Aurora wonderfully (twice), Carabosse (terrifyingly glamorous) 3 times and Bluebird with 3 different partners.  If anyone ever deserved the accolade Wonder Woman it is her!!!  Jade Heuson also frightened the life out of me as Carabosse!  I always think I am fed up with Sleeping Beauty but this year I fell in love with it all over again and SPW's production is my favourite!

My other major highlight was seeing Northern Ballet's MacMillan tribute programme again.  It was absolutely enthralling and we saw gorgeous performances.  For me, Dominique LaRose and Alex Yap (on his way now to BRB) were outstanding in the central duet from Concerto and Antoinette Brooks Daw was breath-taking in Gloria.  I do hope the company will be able to build on the relationship with Lady MacMillan and perform more of his works.

Oh and the Royal Ballet's Giselle with Francesca Hayward/Alexander Campbell and Yasmine Naghdi/Matthew Ball was a dazzling feast in less than 24 hours.

We saw some brilliant performances of Jane Eyre with Northern Ballet and I think the performance I enjoyed most of the whole six months was the Saturday afternoon in Cardiff.  Not only did Dreda Blow and Javier Torres give us a heart-breaking lesson in how it should be done but I saw the performance with my best friend and that made it extra special for me.

So this year has had some very bittersweet moments too with several of my very favourite dancers retiring.  Northern Ballet said a fond farewell to Vicky Sibson and Dreda Blow at the end of their week at The Lowry.  Although both were in the same cast Vicky had her valedictory on the Thursday and Dreda on the Saturday.  The company did both of them proud and they will be much missed by their fans.

We had already bid farewell to Iain Mackay at BRB's annual Evening of Music and Dance at the start of the year.  His frequent partner Jenna Roberts retired from the company with a glorious performance of Juliet at the Hippodrome in June.  I really believe it was her signature role and she and Tyrone Singleton were magnificent together.   

The following evening was incredibly emotional with Nao Sakuma and Chi Cao sharing a valedictory performance of Romeo and Juliet.  It was a very special evening indeed and one that will live on in my memory banks forever.  Having been privileged to watch both their careers since the day they joined BRB 23 years earlier, it was wonderful to be there at their final performance together.   With these 4 principals retiring it really was the end of an era.

On a quick trip to Hamburg and Kiel I saw National Ballet of Canada.  I was thrilled to see that ex-NB favourite Jonathan Renna was dancing in The Man in Black.  I have subsequently found out that they were his final performances with the company before retirement.  I'm so glad I was there to see him one last time.

My season finished with a bang (was it only last weekend) when I dashed down to Bristol to see BRB in La Fille Mal Gardee.  Nao Sakuma made her very final performance with BRB at the matinee and it was a joyous occasion that left me a my friends suffering from serious bouts of hay fever!  Then in the evening ... oh wow!!!  The always brilliant Momoko Hirata was partnered by Lachlan Monaghan who was surely born to dance the role of Colas!  The whole cast fizzed and sparkled like the best vintage champagne.

So lots of memories to look back on but looking forward - I think I may be booking even more tickets for Fille and I'm so excited that Northern Ballet are reviving their production of The Three Musketeers.

• Like 9

So many amazing performances!

Antoinette Brooks Daw in Gloria (NB) - such delicate beauty, honesty and gravity

Stina Quagebeur as Myrthe in Akram Khan's Giselle and as Carabosse in The Sleeping Beauty (ENB) - a terrific dancer and actress

RB Giselles, esp Osipova - her fear and her passion

Hirano and Calvert in The Winter's Tale (RB) - they made me appreciate the ballet for the first time

RB Manons, esp the Lamb/Muntagirov cast - heartbreaking

RB Swan Lakes, esp the Nunez/Muntagirov cast, Osipova and Lamb - brilliant technique and intense drama (but foiled by the ending)

And: Alexander Campbell and Tierney Heap (RB) thrilled me in just about everything they did.

• Like 5

Very envious of Jan's many visits - gone are the days when I would happily have caught up with her and maybe even beaten her! So I do not have a long list but I think the stand out performance for me was Alex Campbell as Dr Grieux, followed by James Hay as Lescaut.And I know it wasn't particularly popular in here, but I loved Ferri and Bonelli in M and A.

• Like 3

I hope an Ozie muscelling in on this conversation is OK. It's actually not a sensible time to be reflecting on highlights of the year, as for us, the year starts in March and finishes in December, meaning there's still most of the year to go. Not that you'd think it here in Sydney ... no TAB performances since The Merry Widow in May, and nothing till November. Luckily, Sydney Dance Company and Bangarra help fill in the gap. Then there is La Scala in November. And  I have just (today!) found out that Hallberg is doing Giselle with Nicoletta Mani, and Leonid Sarafanov (!) Don Quixote, also with Nicoletta Mani. On the very days for which I, coincidentally, have tickets. Oh joy, oh rapture.

But back to the actual topic of this thread (and taking the year to be July 2017 to June 2018). Highlights - QB's Firebird with Laura Hidalgo and Rian Thompson. Utterly unforgettable.TAB's Murphy (Lana Jones as firebird, Brett Chynoweth as Kostchei ) and The Merry Widow (Adam Bull). 

• Like 4

As a personal aside, I see that the number of performances I went to in the 2017-2018 season was almost exactly double the number I went to in the season before I joined the Forum (2014-2015). That is directly attributable to the increased interest and enthusiasm that this Forum has stirred in me - hearing others' opinions, views on dancers or companies I would otherwise not have booked for, interesting information sparking curiosity, etc. So THANK YOU to everyone who contributes, and to the moderators for all they do. (But I also hold you all directly responsible for my reduced bank balance... :D).

• Like 14

OK - this was the year of earybird planes and trains!

1) Discovering the unexpected joy in cinema live relay in German cinemas - Bernstein Triple and Swan Lake

2) Finally seeing NYCB (Nutcraker) and ABT (Firebird/Afterite) live in New York

3) Queen of Spades RDB in Copenhagen 

4) Stuttgart, Munich and Hamburg all a train ride away

5) Berlin Jewels

6) Northern Ballet MacMillan Triple in Bradford

7) Osipova - yes I'm a sad groupie 

...but my biggest regret: missing Hayward in Manon. Sigh...

• Like 4

To answer my own question under some Critics' Circle-style headings and in alphabetical order:

Emerging Artists: Daniel McCormick (ENB - Spanish in Nutcracker, PlayList  Part 1.2. and Le Corsaire pdd); Alice Bellini (ENB - The Cage);  Joseph Sissens (RB - everything he does); Francesca Velicu (ENB - in classical roles this year); Yu Hang (RBS - Aurora)

Best debuts: William Bracewell (RB - Siegfried); Reece Clarke (RB - Des Grieux); Francesca Hayward (RB - Giselle); Katja Kaniukova (ENB - The Cage); Yasmine Naghdi (RB -Elite Syncopations; Giselle; Odette/Odile); Precious Adams (ENB - Elite Syncopations with the RB)

Best 'super-subs' : Matthew Ball (RB - Albrecht); William Bracewell (RB - Obsidean Tear; Siegfried); Alexander Campbell (RB - Albrecht; Des Grieux); Benjamin Ella (RB - Albrecht); Francesca Hayward (RB - Manon) - each of these dancers not only 'filled-in' but gave astonishing performances while doing so

Best female performances (classical): Alina Cojocaru (ENB - Aurora) - sublime artistry;  Rina Kanehara (ENB - Sylph) - light as thistledown;  Yasmine Naghdi (RB- Odette/Odile); Stina Quagebeur (ENB - Carabosse) - a riveting combination of beauty and malevolence; Akane Takada (RB -Giselle) - ethereal

Best male performances (classical):  Reece Clarke  (RB - Des Grieux) - believable and beautifully danced;  Cesar Corrales (then ENB - Hilarion) -  mind-blowing and unique; Vadim Muntagirov (RB - Jeux; Aminta; Albrecht; Des Grieux; Armand; Siegfried; Blessed Spirits) - a super-star, sublime and true  in everything he dances; Aaron Robison (then ENB - Messenger; PlayList Part 1.2) - a real 'presence' who will be very much missed

Best moments: the MacMillan Celebration involving dancers from other companies; Vadim Muntagirov presenting his own bouquet to Marianela Nunez after her "20 years with the RB " performance of Giselle; the curtain rising on Act 3 if the new RB Swan Lake

Best news: Kevin O'Hare being awarded a CBE; all the various promotions, including Matthew Ball, William Bracewell, Brandon Lawrence, Calvin Richardson and Teo Dubreuil; the programmes for the 2018/19 season; Francesca Velicu (ENB) winning an Olivier Award

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, capybara said:

Best male performances (classical): Vadim Muntagirov (RB - Jeux; Aminta; Albrecht; Des Grieux; Armand; Siegfried; Blessed Spirits) - a super-star, sublime and true  in everything he dances;

Best moments: the curtain rising on Act 3 if the new RB Swan Lake

Yes and YES!

• Like 5

My highlight of the 17/18 UK ballet season was a catching a cinema matinee recording of the Bernstein triple bill. A definite “yes” to matinee shows on the continent as with the time difference, I usually find the finish time of the live screenings too late to travel back home after the show.

Highlights elsewhere

• Nijinsky with Hamburg Ballet in Baden Baden
  • the Cranko triple bill L’Estro Armonico/ Brouillards/ Jeu de Cartes with Stuttgart Ballet, all works I’d been hoping to see (again) for some time
  • Goecke’s piece Almost Blue in the recent mixed bill The Fantastic Five in Stuttgart
  •  
  • Like 4

A tremendous season from the RB....I was so privileged  to be able to see, in particular:

The opening night of Scarlett's Swan Lake, last minute seats, 4 rows from the front. Heavenly! 

Francesca Hayward's polished debut as Giselle; her lovely Perdita; her exceptional Manon, her enchanting Clara (talk about contrasting roles !)

Alexander Campbell's assured and moving Des Grieux, and his cocky Lescaut - indeed the go-to "super-sub" for Principal roles, but next time Mr O'H  just slot him in at the outset, please !

Akane Takada's  vulnerable Odette/enticing Odile -  a technically brilliant and  sophisticated  interpretation of the double role.

William Bracewell's elegant debut as Siegfried.

Finally, all the fantastic "ballet blanc" sequences performed by the superb RB corps in the Nutcracker, Giselle and Swan Lake. Cannot praise these ladies enough for their dedication, artistry, musicality and grace.

• Like 3

I greatly enjoyed this Season, trying to remember all the great moments...

Hull New Theatre: "Tarantella" with Francesca Hayward/Alexander Campbell, "Sylvia" with Yasmine Naghdi/Xander Parish, "Dying Swan" Calvin Richardson, "Swan Lake" pd2 Fumi Kaneko/Reece Clarke

"The Dreamers Ever Leave You", by Robert Binet @PrintWorks danced by two couples Yasmine Naghdi/Ryoichi Hirano and Francesca Hayward/Alexander Campbell 

"Kenneth MacMillan, A National Celebration": interesting mix of various companies, my highlight "Elite Syncopations" (Stop Time Rag and Bethina/Concert Waltz) danced by Yasmine Naghdi, partnered by Ryoichi Hirano.

"The Nutcracker": Yasmine Naghdi and Fumi Kaneko's superbly danced Sugar Plum

"Giselle": Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball's very moving and accomplished debut

"Manon": Francesca Hayward, Marcelino Sambe with Yasmine Naghdi as Mistress.

"Swan Lake": Marianella Nunez (her Odile)/Vadim Muntagirov, Yasmine Naghdi (Odette/Odile)/Nehemiah/Frederico Bonelli.

• Like 2

Hard to disagree with any of the richly deserved plaudits already expressed in these posts but if I had to choose one stand-out moment from the last year it would have to be Francesca Hayward's ravishing debut in Giselle, a performance that was not only deeply moving and highly accomplished but, in addition, one that made me feel as though I was seeing the ballet for the first time, something that I can't recall having ever felt before with a work that I have seen so often. Truly extraordinary!

• Like 3

- Muntagirov in Sylvia - such beautiful, beautiful dancing resulting in me making odd purring noises in the auditorium!

- the Hallberg / Oispova / Ball Giselle - truly memorable for a variety of reasons (one of them very sad of course) but the evening felt somehow to be a total triumph;

- amazing debuts in various ballets by Hayward and Nagdhi. As I said on another thread, they seemed almost superhuman in their assuredness;

- the opportunity for ENB, Northern Ballet and BRB to share the ROH stage and the MacMillan celebrations. I'm sure it took a great deal of organisation but it was a really lovely idea and I do hope something similar can be arranged at some point; it feels invidious to choose but Tyrone Singleton and Jenna Roberts in Concerto elicited further purring!

- the MacMillan programme put on by Viviana Durante at the Barbican - genuinely fascinating;

- Manon full stop, whoever is dancing - can never resist it!

• Like 5

I was only in England for a very short time, but had the opportunity to see English National and Royal Ballet at the MacMillan celebrations.  I count myself blessed for having seen that performance.  Although The Judas Tree was difficult to watch, Song of the Earth quickly became a favorite of mine!  The performance was a ballet highlight of my year!   

if I may add another, seeing Precious Adams in Elite Syncopations at the ROH was worth the price of my ticket!. I don't think I've ever seen anyone come into that stage and immediately take in the whole audience and give them a big hug! May not be particularly balletic but what an artist!

Two main highlights for me

The "Giselle" weekend with the debuts of Francesca Hayward and Jasmine Naghdi .....that took on a sort of magical quality in the end ...wonderful!

And a trip to the Curve theatre in Leicester to see Northern Ballet in The Little Mermaid with a friend who now wants to see more ballet!!

I did love Jane Eyre as well and am only sorry didn't get around to writing a review of these ....were rather trying times in other ways! 

I would like to say that it's great to see that the dramatic story ballet is in safe hands with Cathy Marston ....what a talent ...and look forward to seeing more of her work.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BMC said:

it feels invidious to choose but Tyrone Singleton and Jenna Roberts in Concerto elicited further purring!

One could never disagree with anyone purring about seeing Jenna and Tyrone!!

25 minutes ago, LinMM said:

And a trip to the Curve theatre in Leicester to see Northern Ballet in The Little Mermaid with a friend who now wants to see more ballet!!

I did love Jane Eyre as well and am only sorry didn't get around to writing a review of these ....were rather trying times in other ways! 

I would like to say that it's great to see that the dramatic story ballet is in safe hands with Cathy Marston ....what a talent ...and look forward to seeing more of her work.

And, of course, David Nixon who choreographed The Little Mermaid.

I think the Curve is a fabulous venue!

• Like 2

Highlight for me definitely Francesca Hayward who was Manon.  It was sublime, not really a performance, more an experience.  So utterly moving, and Bonelli matching her every step of the way.  A truly marvellous night when my guest was somebody who'd only seen two ballets before and was completely spellbound.  There is a special joy in introducing somebody to ballet and then nurturing their developing tastes and my friend hasn't stopped talking about Manon since.

I know Francesca has years ahead of her and as many roles, but for me she will always be the definitive Manon.

Should add its not been a great year for me with Ed Watson absent but I absolutely loved his portrayal of (an Indian chief?) dancing in the wind in the Arthur Pita production.  One to treasure. 

Worst moment:  The boredom engendered by the l Twyla Tharp piece and the embarrassment at having subjected a guest to it.  What particularly enraged me (apart from Steven Macrae's grey underpants) was that Twyla's work is portrayed as groundbreaking and innovative (other options are available) when really she has stood still whilst dance has moved on.  Stultifying.

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 5

It was wonderful to see Nagdhi & Ball in Giselle. Then, in a fantastic seat, watching Nagdhi in Swan Lake, what a treasure she is! I'm only sorry I didn't get to see her dance it with Bonelli - or Ball in Madrid.

Jane Eyre was amazing! I can still picture the final moments when Cathy supported Edward in arabesque in their pdd. It was a deeply moving moment and spoke volumes.

I greatly enjoyed my trip to San Francisco in April, to see the Unbound festival where I was spoilt with not one but two fantastic New ballets by British choreographer's - "Amina Aminus" by David Dawson and another narrative ballet by Cathy Marston "Snowblind". Both were a huge success and have been chosen to be performed again when the company (SFB) goes on tour!

Again I would like to appeal to Kevin O'Hare to please request the services of Cathy Marston to create a ballet for the RB. I'm so tired of the McGregor works!

I also greatly enjoyed seeing the National Ballet of Canada in Paris. "Nijinsky" was an interesting ballet, there were parts that were a bit over long, however I was really impressed with the company especially Guillaume Cote who was amazing in the role of Nijinsky.

For me it's been a great season and I can't wait for the next one to begin.

• Like 6

Season 2017/18 Top Twelve (in no particular order)

English National Ballet: Song of the Earth / La Sylphide (Palace Theatre, Manchester)

Scottish Ballet: The Fairy's Kiss / Rite of Spring (Festival Theatre, Edinburgh)

Royal Ballet: Giselle (Hayward / Campbell) (Royal Opera House, London)

Northern Ballet: Las Hermanas / Concerto / Gloria (Alhambra Theatre, Bradford and Grand Theatre, Leeds)

National Dance Company Wales: Folk / Atalaÿ / Tundra (Theatr Clywd, Mold)

English National Ballet: Fantastic Beings / Approximate Sonata 2016 / The Cage / Playlist (Sadler's Wells, London)

Royal Ballet: Manon (Hamilton / Kish) (Royal Opera House, London)

Rambert: The days run away like wild horses / Symbiosis / A Linha Curva (Theatre Clywd, Mold)

Viviana Durante Company: House of Birds / Danses Concertantes / Laiderette (Barbican Pit, London)

Royal Ballet: Elizabeth (Barbican Theatre, London)

Semperoper Ballet; In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated / Neue Suite / Enemy in the Fugue (Sadler's Wells, London)

Birmingham Royal Ballet: Kin / Embrace / In The Upper Room (Lowry, Salford)

• Like 2