Springbourne3

Dutch National Trainee Programme contracts 2018

Posted (edited)

For anyone who is interested the Dutch National Academy have just announced their graduate destinations....nice to see Lania Atkins has been offered an apprenticeship with the RB - I noticed her at the 2016 PDL - although she wasn’t selected for the finals she was offered a place at the Dutch National Academy as a result of the PDL - well done to her for being offered an apprenticeship with the RB!24058CC6-100F-4C04-9C62-65D6962E6802.thumb.jpeg.bebcd45b0e2347a6c8746aad94a79efb.jpeg

Edited by Springbourne3
  • Like 1

Is anything known about contracts secured by dancers who have been members of the HET Junior Company?

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Is anything known about contracts secured by dancers who have been members of the HET Junior Company?

I’ve not seen any announcements re - HET Junior Co as yet though.

Lania Atkins also won the silver medal at the Genées in 2015 (aged 15)  - she is the very tall student on the far left of this photo of the Genée 2015 medalists.

323E4B2F-5D4E-4099-8371-01EF0040A439.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

It's interesting that none of the finishing students are joining the DNB junior company. This is very unusual, possibly the first time since the junior company was formed.

The first year dancers in the Junior Company are generally promoted to a second year JC dancer unless they choose to leave or are asked to leave. Occasionally some are promoted straight into the main company.

Edited by Lucinda

Is Lania Atkins Australian? It's just that her name rings a bell as always try to follow Australians progress at the Prix as friends in Oz often ask me to and I seem to remember a tallish dancer that I liked very much who did not win a prize around that time and wondered what happened to her. 

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Is Lania Atkins Australian? It's just that her name rings a bell as always try to follow Australians progress at the Prix as friends in Oz often ask me to and I seem to remember a tallish dancer that I liked very much who did not win a prize around that time and wondered what happened to her. 

Yes Lania is Australian - I liked her too and it was a surprise that she didn’t make the PDL finals but was offered a place at the Dutch National Academy through the networking process at the PDL.  She has been studying there since 2016 - a lovely tall, elegant and long-limbed dancer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lucinda said:

It's interesting that none of the finishing students are joining the DNB junior company. This is very unusual, possibly the first time since the junior company was formed.

The first year dancers in the Junior Company are generally promoted to a second year JC dancer unless they choose to leave or are asked to leave. Occasionally some are promoted straight into the main company.

Yes it seems that this year’s graduates are joining companies far and wide but none to the DNB! 

Posted (edited)

There has been a split from the Nationale Ballet Academie - The trainees are now run by Movart productions - The teachers and Director are no longer part of the school and they train in different studios on the other side of Amsterdam - The trainees took part in this years school performance  ( as I think this had already been arranged before the split ) but as there seems to be no love lost between the two factions I doubt wether this will happen again. The Summer school also is now run by Movart productions using their teachers rather than any one from het nationale. For anyone thinking of auditioning in Amsterdam note that the Dutch nationale ballet academie and the Dutch National trainee programme are now two entirely different things. One boy from the school will be going to DNB others going to Zurich, Poland, Hong Kong, Hungary and Introdans Amsterdam. 

Edited by Sadielou
Added text
  • Like 1

Thanks for that information Sadielou. A lot has changed in the four years since Jan Yves Esquerre took over as director of the NBA!

Jean Yves is running Movart productions - Ted Branson is now overseeing the school until a new director is appointed. 

I have a friend whose daughter was offered a spot as a trainee while at a DNB audition.  Why would Mr. Brandson still be placing kids into the trainee program vs. academy?

Jean Yves was still director of the school at audition time and he would have chosen where to place auditionees. Some given places in the school years 5 / 6 / 7 others BA course at NBA or Trainees. The trainee course only split from the school at the beginning of the summer term, up until then the BA students did their morning classes at NBA and then joined the trainees at Chasse studios for afternoon lessons. At the beginning of the summer term the BA students were told that they would no longer be joining the trainees and all lessons would be at NBA. They were also told that Jean Yves was under investigation (nobody knows the real reason why) and that all NBA students should have no contact with him until the investigation was done. Meanwhile the trainees did 2 pieces in the school performance but Jean Yves was not allowed into the Opera House to watch or rehearse them !

NBA students are part of the university and as such pay a nominal fee as university students. The trainee course is now more expensive than NBA and fees are paid to Movart productions - it is all a bit of a mess. However the teachers at NBA did an amazing job with the school show which far out did last years offering, all the NBA kids seem very happy and have been extremely well taught. In reality the split has been a bonus for the NBA students who were overlooked over the past few years in favour of the trainees.  None of the Dutch are trainees as like here they still have to do some form of education, therefore they are either 5 /6 /7 or on the BA course. This may have been part of the problem, but just speculation.