Graduation musings

afab

Hi all,

Some of you will remember me from past years of following threads, answering them and being there quite a lot...

Today I want to share with you the joy of seeing DD1 graduate yesterday with a BA Hons in Theatre Dance from London Studio Centre (Middlesex University) with a specialty in Contemporary even though LSC trains them to do so much more (Ballet, Jazz, Singing, ...). She's 20, started dancing at 3 and never stopped even though she broke her foot last year and suddenly feared having to stop... But she held on through pain, tears and worries! She's now officially a professional dancer. She went on tour with the school company for the last term and is now ready to tackle the world of auditions and short-time contracts!

DD2 will be graduating as a Jazz dancer from the same school next year while DD3 will be finishing secondary school. The round of Drama School auditions is awaiting her now...

I wanted to share that with you but also say that even though the road was long and sometimes very hard to follow, I honestly believe that nobody in the family would regret having taken it. Not my husband having sometimes worked 2 jobs to pay for it all, not me for years of homeschooling DD1, DD2 & DD3 to allow them to dance and have a top eduction at the same time and driving them to countless classes, and definitely not DD1 who was so proud brandishing her roll yesterday clad in her gown and mortarboard (and barefooted as a "real contemporary dancer" after her fancy shoes hurt her feet!).

I hope to give you hope that the dream can be attained with an amazing amount of hard work and determination.

I still can answer questions, mainly about LSC because it's the school I know the best...

Onwards with life as a professional dancer for my DD1 now! 🎓 💃🏻 ✈️

• Like 19

Fantastic news Afab!

It's funny isn't it that as DC graduate or move on to other things we hear less from their DP, even though the DP has so much to offer having lived through the dance education journey.

I hope you will keep perusing the forum and joining in with the benefit of your advice.

Best wishes to you and your family (and do let us know how they get on).  

• Like 3

Lovely to hear the end of your story afab I can remember some of the earlier parts for your girls when you were living in France  from a few years ago now!! Best of luck to your DD1 and hope it works out for the others as well 😊

• Like 1

I remember reading  about abfab’s daughters journeys several years ago, and am delighted to hear the start of another dance chapter is beginning for DD1 and DD2 is still in training and DD3 about to embark on drama auditions. 

My DD graduated from Tring a couple of years ago. She danced from the age of 6 and went to Tring on a DADA in sixth form staying for the full 3 years.

DD  now dances as a freelance professional having shy’d away from ballet and cruises. It takes time to get established as a freelancer but she now has a fascinating life, with varied opportunities. She has done films, comedy dance shows, music videos, choreographed music videos, Bollywood productions and Bollywood films to name just a few projects.She has met many new friends and old friends on the way. There is generally always a connection with another dancing friend. She is happy which after all is the most important thing.

She has come to realise that it is contacts,contacts and contacts,and also just getting to the right classes that helps the most.

abfab, good luck to your DD’s they will have great stories to tell and a fascinating life however it requires bravery and tenacity. Best of luck to them.

• Like 6

What great news Ecarte! I also remember your daughter's journey. I'm happy she's doing so well and I'm going to share what she's doing with DD1 as an example!

Best of continuing luck to her!

Congrats to your DD Afab and great to hear your DD is enjoying her dancing career Ecarte :) 

I attended my own DD's graduation this week (non-dancing degree) and it truly is a great achievement for these youngsters to battle through teenage years, studying, growing up and generally surviving the circus of life in a social media spotlight these days! Hats off to them all X

(And of course thanks to the taxi drivers, financiers and storage facilities. My house currently has boxes and bags all over from two daughters who say it's not really worth unpacking as they're heading back to uni soon for further study.....yes in three months!!...but I would like to see the dining room/hall/sitting room floor before then :D )

Edited by Sheila Beelam
  • Like 6

Congratulations to your daughter, Sheila! I understand the boxes dilemma... DD1 is staying in London but moving house and DD2 doesn't seem to be able to travel without all of her possessions... so our house will be in the same state soon! 😁

😁🤪😁 I thought it was bad enough with  5 years of vocational training at a boarding house! We’ve just had our list for upper school yikes!!!!!!! 🤪🤪 Boxes, bank balance and finding the room at home to store it all between holidays is already giving me a headache, and we only received the letter last night! Paracetamol and a lie down in a darkened room in order I think 😰

• Like 3