When to go for associates?

HowMuch!

26 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

The only ballet-based CAT scheme is at Northern Ballet's Academy in Leeds.

We live in Leeds so it would be this that we’d look at. They have their open day in January so we’ll go and see what she thinks of it.

47 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

With CAT schemes it is not just the weekly classes, but also the obligatory intensives in school holidays which need commitment. 

That sounds like a good test of stamina! 😁

Thanks for the info. There’s so much to take in and learn! Xxx

DD has friends who go to Northern CAT ... 3/4/5 days a week ... usually one day at the weekend and the rest after school ... not sure on timing but say 4-7ish. PLUS obligatory Summer/Easter courses and extra rehearsals for events. Great training and experience but HUGE commitment from families.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

DD has friends who go to Northern CAT ... 3/4/5 days a week ... usually one day at the weekend and the rest after school ... not sure on timing but say 4-7ish. PLUS obligatory Summer/Easter courses and extra rehearsals for events. Great training and experience but HUGE commitment from families.

as I understand it CAT  is meant to be a replacement  for / alternative  to  Vocational Lower School   and should be considered in  those terms 

6 hours ago, Nicola H said:

as I understand it CAT  is meant to be a replacement  for / alternative  to  Vocational Lower School   and should be considered in  those terms 

I’ve definitely got the help of this forum to thank for helping me to realise the reality of CAT! 

A few weeks ago I had done the research and read about the hours, read about it being the alternative to vocational school BUT in my head it was still more like associates. 

So, a big thank you! It feels better to feel more knowledgeable and i’m definitely better equipped now to support my daughter should she wish to take this step.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

I’ve definitely got the help of this forum to thank for helping me to realise the reality of CAT! 

A few weeks ago I had done the research and read about the hours, read about it being the alternative to vocational school BUT in my head it was still more like associates. 

So, a big thank you! It feels better to feel more knowledgeable and i’m definitely better equipped now to support my daughter should she wish to take this step.

I also think that people  sometimes forget the  amount of  time that people put into other things 

in my youth i sailed  that  that took up a significant amount of time  even without the  extent  of  time  swallowing stuff others were doing ( i was fortunate that  my local club had  people who were of  national and  international calibre  with it as  their home water  - so i didn;t have to  travel to find decent competition  ... ) but there were still plenty of early starts, late finishes ,  and fortunately   it beign the mid 90s and  print newspapers  still beign a thing ,  daily  fitness training  was combined with  earning  some cash  ( longest  by  distance  round  in the shop including a  1/2 mile each way  ride out to deliver papers to the 'lord  of the manor ' ...  )

• Like 1

Howmuch! You can audition for CAT and associates at the same time. The call-backs are also on the same weekend but may involve different classes. I'd recommend the open days - we did the associates one as we'd already discounted CAT but we really got a good feel for the place. AND DD got a class with Cara O'shea who is a brilliant teacher on the CAT scheme (but not associates) so that was a bonus!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Streetdancer said:

Howmuch! You can audition for CAT and associates at the same time. The call-backs are also on the same weekend but may involve different classes. I'd recommend the open days - we did the associates one as we'd already discounted CAT but we really got a good feel for the place. AND DD got a class with Cara O'shea who is a brilliant teacher on the CAT scheme (but not associates) so that was a bonus!

Thank you, i’m keeping an eye on the dates coming out. 

Do they need to be 10 in time for 1st September for CAT? Or would she be able to audition as a 9 year old who would turn 10 in the November?

Although i’m not sure how ‘emotionally ready’ she’d be for that commitment in a years time? 

I realise I could just phone them to ask! 😉

8 minutes ago, HowMuch! said:

Do they need to be 10 in time for 1st September for CAT? Or would she be able to audition as a 9 year old who would turn 10 in the November?

Yes for associates - I think Juniors is y5 and y6. I'm not sure about the CAT though. 

9 minutes ago, LovetoDance2003 said:

Isn’t there one in Manchester @

Lowry? I’m sure my friends dd is part of the scheme there and it’s ballet only

No the Lowry CAT scheme is contemporary based although it does include ballet classes.

• Like 1

The Northern Ballet Academy in Leeds is the only ballet CAT in the UK.

I believe the Lowry scheme is Contemporary Dance, I don't know if other CATs cover other dance styles.

I was at the Lowry CAT's end of year show on Saturday and a very enjoyable evening it was too.  All the works on show were contemporary in style with perhaps a little nod to street dance in one or 2.  IMHO the standard of the dancing was very high.  There was a list of graduate placements in the programme with dancers going to London Contemporary Dance School (The Place), Rambert Dance School, Trinity Laban, Northern School of Contemporary Dance (Leeds) and more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elfin said:

No the Lowry CAT scheme is contemporary based although it does include ballet classes.

if you look at  many of the Contemporary   Dance Degrees they  include   a reasonable amount of  ballet  as part of their  core curriculum, so it is  unsuprising that  a contemporary CAT  takes the same approach ,   not sure that there is necessarily all that much prior  art  with Lower school equivalent  for  COntemporary  vs  either Ballet  or  the MT  type  curricula ... 

e.g.  LCDS  https://www.lcds.ac.uk/sites/default/files/BA Course Summary 2018 entry.pdf

or http://www.nscd.ac.uk/courses/ba-hons-dance-contemporary/

When my DD was younger I did look into our "local" CAT and concluded that it would ideally suit an only child with one parent who doesn't work,  other parent with a very highly paid job, an extremely understanding head teacher and preferably a helicopter. We didn't apply 😄.

Seriously, I'm sure these schemes are great, but unless you live in close proximity to the centres I think they are very difficult to manage.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Pups_mum said:

When my DD was younger I did look into our "local" CAT and concluded that it would ideally suit an only child with one parent who doesn't work,  other parent with a very highly paid job, an extremely understanding head teacher and preferably a helicopter. We didn't apply 😄.

Seriously, I'm sure these schemes are great, but unless you live in close proximity to the centres I think they are very difficult to manage.

I’m having the same thoughts myself! Although in our favour, we live 15mins from Leeds city centre and I work flexible term time only hours. BUT, that could all change over the next year or two.

Can I ask what the prospects are for a ballet dancer who DOESN’T go to either CAT or vocational school? Is it possible to get anywhere doing just local classes and associates? 

I’m severely lacking in any knowledge of how this all works! 

My DD went to vocational school aged 16 having only done local classes, a few summer schools and only a year or so of RAD associates. Although not a ballet dancer in a ballet company she is a professional dancer and still dances en pointe on the stage sometimes but does a load of other styles too.  So yes you can get somewhere - but no one can forsee the future and know where that will be. It was my DD's choice (and not until her final year) to look wider than just ballet for her career but I know she is happy and has no regrets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

Can I ask what the prospects are for a ballet dancer who DOESN’T go to either CAT or vocational school? Is it possible to get anywhere doing just local classes and associates? 

It is possible to get anywhere doing anything. And nowhere doing everything. There are no guarantees. If 'dance' is a 1mx1m square, then your chances of securing a permanent contract in a classical ballet company are perhaps a 1cmx1cm square within it. And that's before you look globally. I seriously wouldn't worry too much at this point of your journey. Just enjoy the ride.

Edited by glissade
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

I’m having the same thoughts myself! Although in our favour, we live 15mins from Leeds city centre and I work flexible term time only hours. BUT, that could all change over the next year or two.

I’m severely lacking in any knowledge of how this all works! 

seem to be more than a  few   people in companies  whose  biog  gives  'local'  dance school or is rather quiet on the topic of lower school  and then  gives Upper  Schools ...    

there are some  bloody good local dance schools  wwho do get a critical mass  of  decent dancers  doing VGEs  and so on ... 

Edited by Nicola H

On 30/07/2018 at 19:08, sarahw said:

The compulsory holiday  courses at CAT in Leeds was non residential in the past. For 2 - 3 weeks this is a massive parental commitment.

Anyone more up to date?

Still non residential as far as I know! One of DDs friends has been staying with a CAT friend who lives locally, and as they are older, they have been getting the bus/train. 

On 10/07/2018 at 09:29, meadowblythe said:

My best advice to the parent of any 8 year old - encourage them to see the wider picture, enjoy their dancing, but not focus on it being the be all and end all.  You simply don't know what will happen, broken limbs, development, ability to cope with pressure .. the list is endless.

Even if it all works out well, the more rounded your child the better they are able to seize the opportunities offered.

I agree with you. Mother Nature does have a strong hold on Ballet unlike other genres. To introduce other genres into the schedule is a wise idea. 

1)Enhances the skills of the child/dancer. 

2) Ensures that the true love is ballet and not just Dance. 

3) Allows the flexibility later on. Puberty...........

4) As well as personal choice. Should they change their mind. 

Looking back at my DD when she was little and started in Modern, Jazz, Tap, Ballet and Greek she was no different to her classmates at her studio. It really wasn't until she turned 14 that it became apparent that she was going to go down the Ballet route technically and physically, rather than MT like her peers at her local dance school. Even though she dabbled with MT (workshops etc) this only confirmed her choice that ballet was right for her. Off to Vocational School in just over a months time... You just never know.