Grace on Ice

I am not so fond of the ice dancing now since they changed to rules to make it more like the other branches of skating.  In the old days, they had compulsory dances where certain moves had to be performed, but the free dance was exactly that. 

• Like 1

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one to really dislike the mashed up music used for so many of the skating routines? Today we had odds and ends of Swan Lake, and then the Sleeping Beauty waltz with bars cut out. The other day it was Beethoven's turn for the mincer, with a patchwork of bits from the Moonlight sonata. Surely it's not impossible to do better - John Curry could do it!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Fiz said:

Robin Cousins came across so well in that interview.  It’s a pleasure to listen to someone who is articulate and informed about their sport.

Agreed, and a bit better than Debra Craine, who unless I've misunderstood her seemed to be arguing that dancers aren't really judged on technique and execution outside competitions :/

And on the subject of Cousins, I like his camel spins even more than John Curry's :)

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, John Mallinson said:

Worthwhile discussion about skating, art v. sport, on BBC Front Row last night with Robin Cousins and Debra Craine. Preceded by a review of I, Tonya.

Very good discussion, indeed.  Well worth a listen for anyone interested in "figure" skating (not that anyone seems to do figures any more in competition).

• Like 1

That was something all the British gold medallists had: musicality and artistry.  Even in those days of "primitive" audio editing techniques, their music tracks were noticeably better edited and better quality than much of the competition: you didn't get that "ouch!" moment when there was a transition from one piece to another.  Nor did you get the feeling that they were just using the music as wallpaper, as you unfortunately did/do with many skaters.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alison said:

That was something all the British gold medallists had: musicality and artistry.  Even in those days of "primitive" audio editing techniques, their music tracks were noticeably better edited and better quality than much of the competition: you didn't get that "ouch!" moment when there was a transition from one piece to another.  Nor did you get the feeling that they were just using the music as wallpaper, as you unfortunately did/do with many skaters.

I think many of the current skaters have sacrificed style and artistry for technique. To me, it's not the number of spins you can do or the height that you can lift your leg that matters, but how good you look when you are doing it! And agree totally about musical wallpaper!

• Like 7

I agree about the hashed up music.  I understand they need to change speed, but these musical abominations are happening during the same segment, so no excuse.  My hubby and I have also been bemoaning how boring and pedestrian most of the songs used seem to be.  The Canadian lady used Piaf, and that was the best choice by a country mile.  I also liked the use of Celine Dion's "Ne Me Quitte Pas", although it's not really my thing.  I much prefer Brel and Dusty, but at least the skater used the whole song, from start to finish, with no chopping.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I think many of the current skaters have sacrificed style and artistry for technique. To me, it's not the number of spins you can do or the height that you can lift your leg that matters, but how good you look when you are doing it! 

Now, where have I heard this comment before? :) 

Oh yes, change the word in bold to dancer, and you have the recurring theme of many a thread.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mary said:

If you want some musicality in your skating, Sim and ninamargaret you might like these- (Youtube is a great way to lose a day...)

Robin was really a Swan on ice...

I was quite surprised (but not) to hear him admit the other day that he'd started with ballet before moving over to ice-skating.  Can't believe it had taken me 30+ years to find that out!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alison said:

I was quite surprised (but not) to hear him admit the other day that he'd started with ballet before moving over to ice-skating.  Can't believe it had taken me 30+ years to find that out!

Must admit I didn't know that either! To me, John Curry always looked as though he was a dancer who just happened to dance on ice instead of a stage and Robin Cousins with his extra height was, if anything even more elegant. They really don't make  'em like that any more.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, alison said:

"Hashed up" is one thing, but taking 2 notes, as I think it was, (several times) out of Swan Lake is something else!  I know there are time restrictions on how long your programme can last, but really - 2 notes??!!

Couldn't agree more and there really should be a mandatory 2 point reduction for showing disrespect to the music and 5 points if it's Tchaikovsky....

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Mary said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21pvHxrINtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt7uF7pFQ04

If you want some musicality in your skating, Sim and ninamargaret you might like these- (Youtube is a great way to lose a day...)

Robin was really a Swan on ice...

Mary thank you so much for those.  I've never seen the 2nd one before, and wow it is just gorgeous.  How lucky were we, to produce Cousins, Curry and Torvill & Dean, all in the space of eight years.  Truly a golden age, where skating became art as well as sport.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, alison said:

I have a general rule of thumb that if it's music you ballet-dance to it's generally not good for skating to - they just don't seem to overlap that much, somehow.

3 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Don Quixote?

Corsaire too :)

• Like 3

His legs seem to go on for ever! The timing-...the line.

I've watched a lot of Robin Cousins on youtube the last 2 days  and one thing really strikes me is that he seems to be enjoying himself, almost all the time. He didn't have the easiest climb to the top and not much in the way of funding and so on,  if any. But he just loved to skate.

Watching the Olympics skating, you could see they were surrounded by every kind of support and etc but some of them looked miserable as hell! Such a shame if that is so.

• Like 3

I’ve been having a ball on YouTube watching Torvil and Dean, Barber and Slater, Duchesnay and Duchesnay, Klimova and Ponamerenko etc. I really think ice dance declined after the mid 1990s and I’m not sure it has picked up again yet.

Edited by Fiz
Spelling
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I saw Curry skate quite a bit when he toured his ice show which was quite revolutionary at the time as was very artistic and musical show unlike the usual skating shows at the time. Unfortunately there is nothing like this much today.

A few years back there was talk of building a new ice rink in Brighton ( when Cousins lived here) near the Marina and I had high hopes that some shows  like this might materialise again but nothing came of it and now even the small ice rink in the town centre has gone.

The biggest "crime" was getting rid of the lovely ice rink in Richmond down by the river....the first rink I skated ( very badly) at.

Family legs has it that I was taken to the Brighton I've rink at the age of five  or thereabouts to see an ice show.I loved it, especially when a man dressed as a devil jumped over a series of barrels. But I howled blue murder because my mother wouldn't let me go on the ice at the end of the show, when the public was allowed to show their skills.Sad to think of another piece of my childhood gone.

• Like 1

I remember being taken by my friend's parents to see an ice show, I think at Wembley Arena, back in the early 70s.  I don't remember much about it, except that I think it starred Reg Park (either my dates are wrong or he was mid-40s by then, which I'd have thought was perhaps a bit old, since my impression was that it wasn't that long after he'd become world champion or whatever it was), and that it was distinctly cold!  I think I knew his name before I saw it in the programme ...

11 hours ago, alison said:

I have a general rule of thumb that if it's music you ballet-dance to it's generally not good for skating to - they just don't seem to overlap that much, somehow.

After some thought this afternoon, and since various people have provided links to people skating effectively to the more adagio parts of ballet scores, I think I should rephrase that to something along the lines of:

just because it's good for ballet-dancing to doesn't automatically mean it will be good to skate to.

A lesson unfortunately not learned by rather a lot of 2018 skaters - I can't remember a year when quite so many people used ballet scores, whether hacked about or not, for their short or long programmes.