The Royal Ballet: New Swan Lake Production, Summer 2018

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, alison said:

In that production.  She had already danced it several times in the previous production - and I have a feeling she may have replaced Cuthbertson in that one, as well.

Maybe I misunderstood but I am sure that O'Hare said that she made her debut in the role on Saturday.

Be that as it may, the main thing is that she was good.

3 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Such a shame they didn't show/use any photos of her as Odette/Odile :( 

Why a photo of her as Giselle when the interview is all about Swan Lake ! ??

Possibly because they don't have any photos of her in costume for the role yet?  If I've understood correctly, later casts often don't get the opportunity to be photographed on stage until their actual performance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rob S said:

‘I was just wondering, did you ever consider having more horses in it?’😂

11 hours ago, RobR said:

Notting Hill? 😂

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Sorry....what??!!  Did someone ask this question?!

I was there and I'm lost too.

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

I was there and I'm lost too.

I didn't get it at first either! It's a reference to Hugh Grant in the film Notting Hill, inadvertently posing as a reporter from Horse and Hounds when talking to Julia Roberts, and asking a nonsensical question...          (cf why are there so many swans in SL)

• Like 4

Yeah a Notting Hill reference about a man having to interview someone about a film he's not seen was a little obscure 😂

A pic I took last night, maybe safer ground

41595370384_ae5b85d74c_o.jpgswan1 by Rob Sallnow, on Flickr

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 5

Thank you for the explanations and for the lovely photo to get us back on track Rob S.

11 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

With over 230 responses on this thread in just 7 days, a pause for recollection might be in order - there's a touch of Python, never mind Horse, developing.

Please do not put people off posting, Ian. As it is, there are BCF regulars who, for various reasons, feel shy about expressing their views about the new production; and thoughts come in all shapes and sizes after all.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, alison said:

In that production.  She had already danced it several times in the previous production - and I have a feeling she may have replaced Cuthbertson in that one, as well.

I don't think she replaced Cuthbertson last time; she had performances of her own and may have replaced somebody else at some point.  But if my memory serves, in the last run of Swan Lake I don't think Cuthbertson was cast at all, because it was evident that her injury would be longer-term.  (In the run before that, Cuthbertson had 3 scheduled performances and there was ongoing hope that she would be able to dance some of them, but they ended up being Nunez/Cojocaru/Cojocaru.)

9 hours ago, Terpsichore said:

Maybe I misunderstood but I am sure that O'Hare said that she made her debut in the role on Saturday.

Be that as it may, the main thing is that she was good.

I was there and I'm pretty sure he said "made her debut in this production on Saturday", or similar, which is accurate. I remember thinking whatever he said could be easily misinterpreted as being her role debut by anyone who didn't know otherwise, though :)

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

I was there and I'm pretty sure he said "made her debut in this production on Saturday", or similar, which is accurate. I remember thinking whatever he said could be easily misinterpreted as being her role debut by anyone who didn't know otherwise, though :)

Kevin O'Hare's announcements often emphasise the last-minute nature of the replacement  and the calibre of the dancer(s) concerned. I like this because it is respectful to artists who may feel under-prepared/rehearsed. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

I agree I’m sure he said “debut in this production” 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, capybara said:

Kevin O'Hare's announcements often emphasise the last-minute nature of the replacement  and the calibre of the dancer(s) concerned. I like this because it is respectful to artists who may feel under-prepared/rehearsed. 

It also engages the audience's interest and sympathy, so they're rooting for the replacement dancer instead of missing the replaced one. So it's good psychology as well as good manners.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

I don't think she replaced Cuthbertson last time; she had performances of her own and may have replaced somebody else at some point.

According to my records (which are not always correct!), Cuthbertson was programmed for three performances with Muntagirov. Salenko danced the first, Takada the second, Salenko and McRae the third.

Takada had two scheduled performance with Bonelli.

• Like 2

Thank you, Saodan.  I must definitely have got the Takada performance, because I don't remember seeing Salenko/McRae as a replacement.  Hoping Cuthbertson will be fully fit soon, but if she has to be replaced further it seems there is precedent for putting a mixture of casts and even pairings on.

I'm pleased to see Takada getting some lovely reviews as O/O:

"Takada as Odette / Odile is a revelation. Promoted to principal in 2016, she has the strongest technique, untroubled by the demands of the role, paired with the most exquisitely expressive arms. Physically she is a dream, speaking with her body what her face fails to say."   

Vera Liber,  British Theatre Guide

"Casts vary, but when we attended Akane Takada in the dual role of Odette / Odile was something special. As the former she reveals excellent shape as the tensions that pulsate through her body create the lyricism. As the latter she is flashy and seductive, while the sheer extent to which she can tempt and manipulate with her movements is also attributable to Scarlett’s own vision".

Sam Smith,   Londonist

Edited by Richard LH

These are lovely reviews, Richard, but I wouldn't like to think that we are going to start quoting the critics on a discussion thread. After all, the links page is there for us all to read. 

Actually, I thought that there was a forum restriction about quotations.

• Like 4

I really enjoyed Tuesday evening despite being disappointed not to see Lauren Cuthbertson. I agree Kevin O’Hare did the right thing to,address the audience before the performance started. Akane Takada was lovely, as mentioned in previous posts her arms ,neck and head are so graceful and really tell a story on their own. Wow, what magnificent sets and costumes. My only slight quibble was the Swan tutus. I seem to be alone in this. For me they were too stiff and modern, too much buttock on display. I would have preferred a softer look and more feathers than sparkle. Can’t really explain because I do like swans in tutus not longer costumes. 

I do prefer old ending but not enough to let me disagree with Liam. He did a great job, I loved the pas de deux in Act 4. I admire his passion and talent and look forward to seeing it next time round. I do,however, wish the audience didn’t feel the need to clap so often and break the continuity. It just happens too often.

So much talent in the company and so many good performances. It was also good to briefly meet some forum members, I was sorry to rush off but if I don’t get wheelchair in the busy lift I will miss the dancing. Again thanks to all who make the forum happen!

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Jillykins said:

My only slight quibble was the Swan tutus. I seem to be alone in this. For me they were too stiff and modern, too much buttock on display. I would have preferred a softer look and more feathers than sparkle. Can’t really explain because I do like swans in tutus not longer costumes.

41 minutes ago, Jillykins said:

It was also good to briefly meet some forum members, I was sorry to rush off but if I don’t get wheelchair in the busy lift I will miss the dancing. Again thanks to all who make the forum happen!

Actually, Jillykins, I think you were there when I expressed my own similar reservations about the swan tutus. There's something singularly unflattering about the cut which, to my eye, makes the majority of the lovely slender ladies of the corps look less distinctly less lean in the bum and thigh department than they usually do.

Hopefully something someone who can do something about it will notice , and adjust them by the time the first revival comes around.

• Like 1

I like soft tutu's too in any ballet but particularly Swan Lake, in fact I was fond of the soft long ones in the old production, I will also miss Ivanov's fourth act very much so I wonder what I'll make of this one, the first and third act costumes certainly look very stylish, I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself next week, and seeing Akane Takada!

• Like 3

There's a lot I'll miss about the old production. In spite of its problems, I grew very fond of it over the years and it packed a huge emotional punch. So thank you to Anthony Dowell et al who have received too much criticism recently in the run up to the new production. (I don't mean on this forum but in the press generally.)

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

There's a lot I'll miss about the old production. In spite of its problems, I grew very fond of it over the years and it packed a huge emotional punch. So thank you to Anthony Dowell et al who have received too much criticism recently in the run up to the new production. (I don't mean on this forum but in the press generally.)

I think the final ten minutes of Dowell's version were the best I have ever seen.  

• Like 4

On 22/05/2018 at 20:42, Indigo said:

...Overall, I'm just not engaging emotionally with this production so far. I can admire the dancing, costumes, sets etc. And there is a lot to admire about this Swan Lake.  But after two performances, sadly it's just not touching my heart. Though if anything can change that, it will be Yasmine Naghdi's debut O/O - experience has taught me to pack extra tissues for her performances in narrative ballets. Roll on the 28th, double Swan Lake day!

Indigo, that sums up exactly how I feel after one performance. Very much looking forward to Naghdi/Kish 😃

37 minutes ago, Sim said:

I think the final ten minutes of Dowell's version were the best I have ever seen.  

I think for me that’s the problem with this Swan Lake. The previous version ended on an emotional roller coaster so you left the theatre full of joy and sadness at the same time, this one left me emotionally uninvolved.

• Like 4

Can anybody tell me what was wrong with the production that Anthony Dowell replaced with his own version? It looks beautiful from what I have seen of it on film. 

Regarding the tutus, the first time I saw them from above and was delighted with them. Then when I was standing down below I thought, hmm, perhaps the skirts might be better set a little lower on the hips. Aside from that and the occasional too adagio adagio, I love this production.

2 hours ago, capybara said:

These are lovely reviews, Richard, but I wouldn't like to think that we are going to start quoting the critics on a discussion thread. After all, the links page is there for us all to read. 

Actually, I thought that there was a forum restriction about quotations.

Oops, sorry capybara...I did wonder if this might be a Wrong Thing To Do,  but couldn't help myself !  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 23/05/2018 at 16:24, alison said:

And then we get a prologue with Odette's backstory ...

I'm still wondering what happened about the "Siegfried will be on stage virtually all the time" bit, too.

Me too.  I always thought that the last production didn't give enough to Siegfried but this doesn't sound like much of an improvement.  There must be dancers in the company, Bonelli for example, who have taken part in both versions.  I wonder what they think?

Linda

22 hours ago, RobR said:

Notting Hill? 😂

That's just what I was thinking!  Only I think Julia Roberts movie was set in outer space? [But any tru sci-fi fan will know about the genre known as 'space opera' which has been known to feature Vikings and their horses being transported across galaxies in space ships*]

Linda

*I can't believe I know about this - I really must get out more.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Darlex said:

Can anybody tell me what was wrong with the production that Anthony Dowell replaced with his own version? It looks beautiful from what I have seen of it on film. 

Too dark, too fussy and too much unfunny 'business', to put it mildly.  Siegfried and his friends are not upper-class twits to run around a formal ball swatting people on the backside with their swords and royal tutors don't last long if they get drunk and molest courtiers' daughters.  Some lovely costumes but some more like those of a Roger Corman budget horror.

Linda

P.S. But Sim is right about the ending - much more satisfactory emotionally.

Edited by loveclassics
Post script