Semperoper Ballett - All Forsythe programme, Sadler's Wells, June 2018

Dresden's Semperoper Ballett are making a brief trip to Sadler's Wells with a triple bill by William Forsythe.  Has anyone had a chance to go and see it yet?  I'd appreciate any feedback, as I don't think I'll be able to go until the weekend.  I notice the top price is only £27, which sounds like a bargain!

I came down to see the opening performance yesterday, attracted by the fact that it was an all Forsythe programme (and the low ticket prices!).  I don't have the technical words to go into huge amounts of detail about it, suffice to say I loved it!  I'd seen 'In the Middle..." a couple of times danced by ENB.  It didn't quite hit me in the same way as their performances did - there wasn't quite the same drive that I remembered, though that may be partly because I was up in the circle and partly because the music maybe wasn't turned up loud enough (I remember it being on the cusp of ear splitting!).  The second work is 'Neue Suite', a series of eight short pas de deux taken from various previous works by Forsythe that had been reworked for this company.  Set to the music of Handel, Bach and Berio, I found them beautiful, not least because, as the programme notes testified, the man and the woman were equal partners in each of the duets.  The final work, 'Enemy of the Figure', was just a total hoot from start to finish.  It was the sort of work that makes you smile because of the ingenuity of the conception (particularly the use of the props - a curved wall snaking diagonally across the stage, a spotlight that the dancers moved round the stage, and... a rope!), because of the quality of the movement, and because at times it was just laugh out loud funny, such as the time you are suddenly aware that there are a group of dancers in a dimly lit corner of the stage dancing a hornpipe!

So yes, well worth going, especially if the audience reaction yesterday is anything to go by.

• Like 1

I went last night...I mostly really enjoyed it.  I've never seen any of the ballets before but I've really liked all the William Forsythe I've seen in the past so was really looking forward to this programme plus the chance to see this company.  I really loved In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated.  I thought it was brilliantly danced and I really liked the music and choreography a lot.  It looks very natural...every movement is perfectly placed but it feels very much like they're just making it up as they go along.  I thought all the dancers were great but one couple really stood out for me.  Houston Thomas was the man but I was too far away to see who the lady he was dancing with was.  They were sensational though.

Neue Suite I also enjoyed.  It was made up of several short pas de deux which were all interesting.  I think William Forsythe is never boring is he?  I thought all the couples were very strong in this piece.

The final piece was Enemy in the Figure which unfortunately was just too contemporary for me.  I wantsed to like it but it reminded me of a giant contemporary art installation at the Tate or somewhere that I just don't get.  I try...but I fail..every time haha!  The programme says it's about vision and perception, form and chaos...so I think if that kind of thing is your bag this ballet would be great but sadly just not for me.  No reflection on the company though who attacked it with great gusto.

All in all a nice evening for a very low price!  Is anyone seeing the Nederlands Dans Theatrer triple bill next week?

• Like 2

I agree with serenade, although unfortunately I had to miss the last ballet, loved the first two though. In the Middle has always been a favourite, and enjoyed seeing some very lyrical choreography in Neue Suite, the 8 pas de deux passed too quickly, would have liked more!

Although I bought a programme I can't really identify any female dancers yet, will take another look at the photos above, Houston Thomas was the man I remember the most, he did some very fast and exciting dancing and had a happy personality!

Hope they come back, I have always wanted to see the complete Impressing the Czar ballet.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MAX said:

Enemy in the Figure too contemporary ?  

Premiere by the Frankfurt ballet, on May 13rd 1989

Almost 30 years ago :)  

Stylistically it could have been considered more contemporary than Serenade cared for.  The age is immaterial if the style is not to someone's taste.

• Like 3