Going Back to ballet continued...

Fiz

So my adult class has been cancelled. Christina is not getting in until 10.00 on Wednesdays and and very tired. This does nor surprise me since she did look very tired at the end of term. I have just rung Philippa to tell her that I will dance with teenagers if necessary because no one is ever going to stop me dancing again!

• Like 5

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see it happening like that, Anjuli. Most of them work full time and are often too tired to come regularly to class which is why we have a problem with numbers in the first place. I am not very happy as everything was fine the way it was but Christina can't keep teaching the hours she was so I may have no other choice than dancing with teenagers.I will just have to suck it up!

• Like 1

There was a time when because of other scheduling, I had to take class with teens. The only problem I ran into was I became invisible to the teacher. She was focused on the "possibilities" the teens presented. At other times she used me to their advantage rather than facilitating my possibilties.

Example......

We were going to perform Les Sylphides. The teacher told me that "normally" I would be given the lead role but since she needed someone "strong and dependable - and able to lead the corps" - she would have to keep me in the front line of the corps.

Well, being throught of as strong and able is a good thing, but being held back to keep the teens in line is not a good thing. My altruism only goes so far - and in those days I had to look out for myself, too.

Or - in class I was told by the teacher that the teens needed her much more that I did. However, since that didn't translate into a discount in tuition, I failed to be convinced.

There are times when one has to be a bit hard nosed. Careers are short and whilst one should not hurt or hinder another dancer, neither should one accept being hurt or hindered.

• Like 2

I do see your point, Anjuli, but it was suggested in the past before there was an adult dance class that I should dance with the teenagers. I must admit, I would rather dance with some motivated people than some of the ones in my adult class who are only there "for a laugh".

• Like 1

At the DanceXchange in Birmingham the adult classes contain a core of students of all ages (from teenagers to the more mature student!) that are serious about their classes even if it is a hobby for most of us.

During the holidays there are also classes held in the studios, but run separately. The quality of the teachers means that the vocational students that live locally attend as well as us "oldies". It's a fabulous mixture as the youngsters enjoy being part of an "adult" class. They are not at school with their friends and they can see that we are just as serious as they are about the class, even if we are less able. It's also a privilege and a pleasure for us to see the students as they mature and embark on their future careers.

• Like 4

I think it comes down to the atmosphere in the class - and it is the teacher who sets that atmosphere.

There has to be a match by both groups in seriosness of purpose no matter the age or technical level of accomplishment. And a true motivation to share the space and time.

There's a word for that: courtesy. A lack thereof can occur in either group. The teacher must see to it that everyone is valued.

• Like 3

I emailed the owner last night to be told that they were still trying to "work something out". How hard can it be? Neither of them work during the day! She does, however, wish me to return ballet equipment left at the school where I work. The next thing I know, I will be told that they are not going to run the class at all! Watch this space!

Things are not all they seem, apparently. Our dance teacher has been offered more work at another school where she already teaches. I spoke to another ballet friend this morning and she told me. She is going to ask about what is happening too as she sees the owner a lot as her daughter does a lot of dance during the week and hopefully we will get somewhere. I am running out of patience, I must confess. :angry:

• Like 1

Curiouser and curiouser, said Fiz...I saw my dance teacher last night and we were able to talk frankly and uninterrupted. She is willing to hold a day class and is frustrated that the owner seems to be dragging her feet. She wants to teach us. I feel strongly that it is a question of cost and that the class isn't paying. Fortunately, I did a net search last nigh and found a class where DD's friend learned, even nearer than Hertford or Harlow. They do adult ballet and I emailed them. They would be happy to have me and to let me do pointe if appropriate plus they actually want adults in their shows! I think I will be going there. If a day class should, by a miracle, start, I will do that as well :D

• Like 6

I have emailed the teacher and said that I want to start on Wednesday. It is the same day but earlier. From what I have been told, it is going to be ages before anything happens and I have grave doubts if it will actually happen at all :(

I saw the owner of our local dance school and asked her if she would mind if I went to the other school to be told that she had meant to suggest it to me or I would be awfully out of practice and that it was a good idea, plus she would ring me if a day class ever got arranged. So that is all good! Roll on 7.00 p.m tomorrow!

• Like 4

On this topic... does anyone know of any adult ballet classes in Coventry/Warwickshire? My own ballet teaching is down to one day a month and I need to get to at least one class a week but can't seem to find many :-( It doesn't even need to be an advanced class as I'm nowhere near in that kind of shape, and all I want is to de-stress after a day at school! HELP!

• Like 1

Not sure what I thought of the dance class. Nice teacher, nice adults, nice teens but...it is an amalgamated adults and advanced teens class and they are working on show dances. So we did about ten minutes warm up, about five minutes of the dance, ten minutes of the teens mucking about while they did their dance bit and then ten minutes more of us, then them, then us all together. That did not amount to much actual dance or practice at all out of an hour. I certainly did not feel like I had been working :huh:

On this topic... does anyone know of any adult ballet classes in Coventry/Warwickshire? My own ballet teaching is down to one day a month and I need to get to at least one class a week but can't seem to find many :-( It doesn't even need to be an advanced class as I'm nowhere near in that kind of shape, and all I want is to de-stress after a day at school! HELP!

Slightly further but what about the ballet classes at the Dance Xchange in Birmingham?

One of the older dancers in the class had danced since she was two and a half and I had the distinct impression that her daughters had been told they would dance or else...I have noticed that a lot of frustrated dancers or would-be dancers pressure their daughters into dance classes.

I think you might be right Fiz, the other side to that coin can be a child who wants to dance and has a parent in the know who can help the child go to a good school or oversee their training. I don't think it is a coincidence that quite a few kids who's parents are ballet or dance teachers end up a vocational school. Look at Nastia Lukin, father gymnast mother rythmic gymnast there was only one place that girl was headed and that was the Olympics. Some may say they are forced in to it but I think vocational training is so hard you have to have your own fire inside you or you just won't stick at it. Am I right in thinking Darcey Bussell's mum had been at White Lodge?? I have to admit pushy mums ( or dads) turn my stomach but luckily I don't come across them too often.

• Like 1