Queen's Birthday Honours 2018

I'm happy for O'Hare and Avis - disgraceful that David Bintley hasn't been acknowledged!

But can I just say that I am ecstatic about Sir Kenny Dalglish - so well deserved, we are all so proud! 👍

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sharon said:

I'm happy for O'Hare and Avis - disgraceful that David Bintley hasn't been acknowledged!

But can I just say that I am ecstatic about Sir Kenny Dalglish - so well deserved, we are all so proud! 👍

Completely agree on all counts!

Thrilled and delighted about Kenny. (Sorry - Sir Kenny!). The King is knighted.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

I'm sure this has been said before but it's entirely possible that he been offered honours and refused. Some do!

He does have a CBE though, so he can't be entirely unenamoured of the honours system.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

I'm sure this has been said before but it's entirely possible that he been offered honours and refused. Some do!

Yes 'some do!' - who knows? 

It was just my opinion..

Anyway it's Sir Kenny that's got my attention!  🤩

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fiz said:

She’s married to Simon Keelyside.

Baritone, who was knighted. (Maybe one day she'll be a Lady in her own right too! Wonder if she'd then be Lady Lady Keenlyside Yanowsky? Perhaps not. :blink:)

• Like 6

17 hours ago, bridiem said:

Baritone, who was knighted. (Maybe one day she'll be a Lady in her own right too! Wonder if she'd then be Lady Lady Keenlyside Yanowsky? Perhaps not. :blink:)

Almost three times a lady....

• Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:39, bridiem said:

She could end up being a Dame (although that doesn't seem all that common for dancers these days, and it would depend on her being a British citizen which I don't know whether she is); I don't think there's any way for her to become a Lady in her own right.

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

By being elevated to the peerage!

Yes, well, I meant in the real world. It's hard enough for dancers to be made dames these days, never mind life peers. OTOH, when I wrote that I was thinking more in terms of Lady Zenaida, which wouldn't be possible (that I know of), rather than Baroness Keenlyside.

1 hour ago, Melody said:

OTOH, when I wrote that I was thinking more in terms of Lady Zenaida, which wouldn't be possible (that I know of), rather than Baroness Keenlyside.

Possible, if highly improbable - if ZY's father or mother were raised to the peerage at the level of Earl or above!

Strange that you suggest Baroness Keenlyside, rather than Baroness Yanowsky. 

There is a dancer in the Royal who is married to the heir apparent to a barony... 

And let's not forget Anya Linden is a baroness and Moira Shearer was a lady!

16 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Possible, if highly improbable - if ZY's father or mother were raised to the peerage at the level of Earl or above!

Strange that you suggest Baroness Keenlyside, rather than Baroness Yanowsky. 

There is a dancer in the Royal who is married to the heir apparent to a barony... 

And let's not forget Anya Linden is a baroness and Moira Shearer was a lady!

Well, quite apart from the fact that I didn't think hereditary peerages were a thing any more apart from in the royal family - wasn't Margaret Thatcher the last PM to be ennobled? - there's also the issue of having to be a British citizen, which I'm fairly sure her father isn't.

Baroness Yanowsky just sounds weird. Although, and I'm sure Ian MacMillan would agree, Dame Zenaida Yanowsky has a very nice ring to it. :)

• Like 1

I think that, if Zenaida Yanowsky was going to get a gong for her dancing to date, it would have come last year. Whereas Principals once had OBEs or CBEs, Edward Watson received an MBE.

Maybe those on here who have ambitions for Zenaida will have to be content with Sir Simon and Lady Keenlyside - unless, that is, she adds significantly to her CV in the arts world or in terms of charity.

Edited by capybara

The handing out of honours to dancers has in many cases seemed to me rather arbitrary, could the current dearth have something to do with fewer principals being British? 

I think Doreen Wells, the current dowager Marchioness of Londonderry holds the loftiest title for a dancer, but of course John Gilpin married a princess, albeit a foreign one.  Another male dancer used to be in a long term relationship with a baroness, but sadly they never made it to the altar.   I can't think of a dancer holding any sort of hereditary title other than through marriage though.

10 hours ago, capybara said:

I think that, if Zenaida Yanowsky was going to get a gong for her dancing to date, it would have come last year. Whereas Principals once had OBEs or CBEs, Edward Watson received an MBE.

Maybe those on here who have ambitions for Zenaida will have to be content with Sir Simon and Lady Keenlyside - unless, that is, she adds significantly to her CV in the arts world or in terms of charity.

Oh, I don't have ambitions, I know that these days a person would have to spend half a lifetime running a major company in order to have any chance of being made a knight or a dame; I was just saying that it had a nice ring (unlike Baroness Yanowsky, which sounds like a character in Mayerling), not thinking it would ever happen. Maybe part of the problem with high-level honours in ballet is that a dancer's career tends to be short so you don't have 40 years of top-level performance to merit a CBE or whatever like an instrumentalist or singer would have.

Fonteyn getting a damehood in her 30s was a real outlier. de Valois and Markova didn't get their DBE until they were in their 50s and had founded major ballet companies.

Probably the loftiest title for a dancer is held by the King of Cambodia, who used to dance and teach ballet in Europe before his father abdicated.

• Like 1

Something that appears to have passed us by is that Deborah Bull, former Royal Ballet Principal, has been made a Life Peer.  I'm no expert here, but I assume that, as she will not be a Member of an Order (other than the CBE that she already holds), an elevation of this sort is not conferred by the normal Honours List.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/News-Article.aspx?id=102e4d3d-00b9-4a0f-8d99-d967fc850092

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Something that appears to have passed us by is that Deborah Bull, former Royal Ballet Principal, has been made a Life Peer.  I'm no expert here, but I assume that, as she will not be a Member of an Order (other than the CBE that she already holds), an elevation of this sort is not conferred by the normal Honours List.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/News-Article.aspx?id=102e4d3d-00b9-4a0f-8d99-d967fc850092

Gosh! That's wonderful. Why have none of the dance organisations reported it?! (Or if they have I've certainy missed it.) Congratulations to her!

P.S. I've just checked her Twitter account and she doesn't even mention it as far as I can see. (She has simply posted various congratulations to others awarded honours!). That's what I call modesty.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 3

Well, congratulations indeed!

"Deborah Bull CBE, Vice President/Vice-Principal (London) at King’s College London, has today been made a peer for life by The Queen in recognition of her authority on public engagement with, and the impact of arts, culture and the creative industries."

I didn't know she'd risen that high in the hierarchy at KCL.  I notice there's no actual reference to her career in ballet in the article :( 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...