English National Ballet, Sleeping Beauty, London, June 2018

4 hours ago, capybara said:

The brevity with which posters on here have spoken about Alexandrova's performance as Aurora speaks volumes and people seem to be choosing their words carefully.

Yes, I've noticed that! I've booked for her next Friday and am now wondering if that was a good choice...

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Cojucaru and Caley last night; Cojucaru's mastery of this role is extraordinary, as others have said. She was absolutely enchanting - radiating youth, beauty, joy  and sweetness. Her total command of the choreography was remarkable. I felt privileged to see her. I also enjoyed Caley's warm stage presence and his commitment to the part. There were, however, some anxiety-provoking moments with the supported pirouettes: in the Rose Adagio the English Prince nearly let Alina fall down but somehow righted her, and there were a couple of tricky moments for Caley as well. in the grand pas.. I think some of the men may need some emergency additional coaching on this aspect! 

• Like 5

Anyone else remember from back in ballet.co days Eric Taub's description of a Rose Adagio at a New York Gala performance that became something of a continuing car crash with the supported pirouettes?  I know at least one former Aurora who went into kinks reading about it.

And mentioning Eric, I see that he has just had a review put on DanceTabs after something of a lengthy silence.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

And mentioning Eric, I see that he has just had a review put on DanceTabs after something of a lengthy silence.

Oh, Goody .... such a wonderfully insightful critic ... with a distinct voice and extraordinary background knowledge.  Can't be too many of those about, huh :)  {Sorry, off topic I realise ... We now return you to our rightfully scheduled topic: ENB's SB .... :)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

I am surprised to see so many seats still available  for this production - hundreds per performance, and over 1000 for some dates. Is this normal for the ENB at the Coliseum? Surely it can't just be the price of the ice cream (£4 compared to £3 for the same small tasty tub at the ROH).....

12 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Anyone else remember from back in ballet.co days Eric Taub's description of a Rose Adagio at a New York Gala performance that became something of a continuing car crash with the supported pirouettes?  I know at least one former Aurora who went into kinks reading about it.

Funnily enough I was thinking of Eric's classic line in a review of another Bolshoi dancer when I was watching Alexandrova the other night:   "The best Kitri I ever saw was her Giselle".    🤣🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Surely it can't just be the price of the ice cream (£4 compared to £3 for the same small tasty tub at the ROH).....

I doubt it: I just don't bother buying them, for the most part.  I really don't like the additional 1/3 markup compared with not only the ROH but also Sadler's Wells. - and certainly not for the paltry range of flavours.  I always buy them at Sadler's Wells, where the range is much broader, but hardly ever at the ROH.

No, I think they're suffering both from the competition with the new RB Swan Lake, and also with BRB next week as well.  Plus I haven't been aware of that much advertising of the season.

14 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Can't remember if this was the review, but there was an ABT gala with Veronika Part doing Rose Adage where he said Aurora should get drinks for her suitors after the show :)  Or something to that effect: Part's Rose Adage was reportedly a white-knuckle ride.

Thanks for mentioning Eric's review.  His reviews are hilarious and very, very accurate.  

Edited by MRR

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Funnily enough I was thinking of Eric's classic line in a review of another Bolshoi dancer when I was watching Alexandrova the other night:   "The best Kitri I ever saw was her Giselle".    🤣🤣

Don't think it was a Bolshoi dancer?

Anyway, I'm delighted if Eric is back.  I used to love reading his reports.

Back to the performances: very good debuts (production debuts, I presume) this afternoon from Jurgita Dronina, who I thought was quite enchanting as Aurora, and Isaac Hernandez.  And some very nice variations from the supporting Prologue fairies.  Good to see a near-capacity audience, too - although the balcony wasn't quite as sold out (or at least as fully occupied) as I'd expected from the website.  Either that, or they'd all been coming up (down?) on GTR and given up in disgust at the lack of rail services.

I enjoyed yesterday’s matinee with Jurgita Dronina and Isaac Hernandez in the leads dancing strongly.  But I’m afraid I found it hard to see Aurora as a 16 year old and thought Desire a little detached.  Loved the exquisite dancing from the knitters and Aurora’s friends and Sarah Kundi was a very strong Carabosse.  I’m very pleased to have seen the Macmillan production again after many years and do like the designs and costumes.

I think I’ve probably been spoiled by so many Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauties and other productions where the Royal Ballet exudes such strength.  But yesterday I’m afraid I found some of the solo work pretty thin, for example Lilac Fairy.

I don't greatly like the Coliseum as a venue although sight lines are good.  It’s a nightmare to enter, queuing on the pavement for ticket checks, and then to leave, with one exit.  And I do get distinctly irritated by drink, ice cream, olives etc in the auditorium, particularly when not consumed during the interval and which are then slurped or tucked into during the performance.  I find there’s a great deal more general disturbance with people constantly shuffling about, leaning forward, ‘conducting’, humming along to the familiar tunes, giving commentaries to neighbours, rummaging in bags for tissues, unrestrained nose blowing - all I’m afraid from my neighbour and her daughter who to be fair were most apologetic for disturbing those already seated when first taking their seats and after each interval.

In light of Sim’s evocative post and Alison’s suggestion, I’m still mulling over whether to see if I make some rearrangements and have a day trip for Thursday's matinee with Alina.  The box office said they’re likely to do day seats for concessions (£20.00 for the best seats I think) and apparently my railcard is accepted.  And I imagine the chances of finding myself sitting next to the same mother/daughter are pretty remote.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

In light of Sim’s evocative post and Alison’s suggestion, I’m still mulling over whether to see if I make some rearrangements and have a day trip for Thursday's matinee with Alina. 

Definitely go if you can. Cojocaru is truly wonderful in this role and I really enjoyed Shiore Kase as lilac fairy, she came across as charmingly benevolent yet also had the authority required to intimidate Carabosse. Kase had a bit of a stumble on Friday but even so she was probably the best lilac fairy I have seen recently.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

I don't greatly like the Coliseum as a venue although sight lines are good.  It’s a nightmare to enter, queuing on the pavement for ticket checks, and then to leave, with one exit.  And I do get distinctly irritated by drink, ice cream, olives etc in the auditorium, particularly when not consumed during the interval and which are then slurped or tucked into during the performance.  I find there’s a great deal more general disturbance with people constantly shuffling about, leaning forward, ‘conducting’, humming along to the familiar tunes, giving commentaries to neighbours, rummaging in bags for tissues, unrestrained nose blowing - all I’m afraid from my neighbour and her daughter who to be fair were most apologetic for disturbing those already seated when first taking their seats and after each interval.

I was at the matinee too and the people behind me really spoilt it.  I am not too bad with fidgeters, coughing or general rummaging if people will just shut up.  I just cannot stand the talkers.  I had a group of people behind me who'd never seen Sleeping Beauty before who kept asking each other what was going on, commenting that things were marvelous and then just making comments the whole way through.  Grrrr.  

Anyway...I had very mixed feelings about the performance I saw.  Sleeping Beauty is one of my absolute favourites and it was my first time seeing Macmillan's version so I was excited but it was a bit of a let down.  I thought the principals were great...Jurgita Dronina was fantastic and gave a very strong performance.  Rose Adagio was superb and I liked everything she did, for me she danced and acted the role brilliantly.  I thought Issac Hernandez gave a strong performance and his variations looked really clean.  I don't think they had the best chemistry ever but nevertheless I thought they sold it well.  But when the principals weren't on stage I thought there was some pretty shaky solos and some dodgy partnering moments in the corps.  I have seen ENB a lot recently and think they're on fine form but I just didn't think overall it was that great yesterday (bearing in mind I know nothing technical about ballet and was in a bad mood about talky talkers behind me so I could be talking rubbish 😄).  Wish I had booked for another show after reading some of the great reviews on here...never mind!  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

I enjoyed yesterday’s matinee with Jurgita Dronina and Isaac Hernandez in the leads dancing strongly.  But I’m afraid I found it hard to see Aurora as a 16 year old and thought Desire a little detached.  Loved the exquisite dancing from the knitters and Aurora’s friends and Sarah Kundi was a very strong Carabosse.  I’m very pleased to have seen the Macmillan production again after many years and do like the designs and costumes.

I think I’ve probably been spoiled by so many Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauties and other productions where the Royal Ballet exudes such strength.  But yesterday I’m afraid I found some of the solo work pretty thin, for example Lilac Fairy.

In light of Sim’s evocative post and Alison’s suggestion, I’m still mulling over whether to see if I make some rearrangements and have a day trip for Thursday's matinee with Alina.  The box office said they’re likely to do day seats for concessions (£20.00 for the best seats I think) and apparently my railcard is accepted.  And I imagine the chances of finding myself sitting next to the same mother/daughter are pretty remote.

Thanks John.  If you can swing it I would highly recommend you going. Alina alone is worth it, and the rest is a lovely bonus!

• Like 1

Quick shout out to two of the Emerging Dancer candidates who did well on Friday night: Daniel McCormick's Bluebird was greatly appreciated by the crowd (even better on the first night, I felt, but strong nonetheless) and Connie Vowles' White Cat offered a most appealing alternative to the usual gentlemen-prefer-blondes characterisation. Good luck tomorrow!

• Like 1

Just seen on Twitter: Cast change: due to injury Aaron Robison will be replaced by Joseph Caley in the role of Prince Désiré on Tuesday 12 June. Maria Alexandrova will perform in the role of Princess Aurora as advertised.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 15:57, JohnS said:

I don't greatly like the Coliseum as a venue although sight lines are good.  It’s a nightmare to enter, queuing on the pavement for ticket checks, and then to leave, with one exit. 

At the risk of taking the thread off topic, there are other, quicker exits from the Coliseum.  If you are in the Stalls or Dress Circle there are exits on both sides to street level (as long as you don't have to collect anything from the cloakroom) and on house right at least I'm pretty sure the side staircase is accessible from all levels; I presume this may also be the case on house left via the staircase that used to be the entrance to the Balcony when it was separated from the rest of the house prior to the 2003/04 refurb, but I'm not sure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

At the risk of taking the thread off topic, there are other, quicker exits from the Coliseum.  If you are in the Stalls or Dress Circle there are exits on both sides to street level (as long as you don't have to collect anything from the cloakroom) and on house right at least I'm pretty sure the side staircase is accessible from all levels; I presume this may also be the case on house left via the staircase that used to be the entrance to the Balcony when it was separated from the rest of the house prior to the 2003/04 refurb, but I'm not sure.

House left and right exits are certainly available from the Balcony.

Another visit to this production last night to see Alexandrova and Joseph Caley, substituting for Robison at apparently very short notice. After Cojucaru's tour de force on Friday I was unsure how I would feel about seeing a very different ballerina as Aurora, and one who - as my companion observed - probably did not look 16 when she actually was 16. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by Alexandrova's performance: she maximised all her considerable charm and stage presence to draw us in to her Aurora. Technically she was secure (of course) and - huge sight of relief - the supported pirouettes and fish dives were a complete success, for which Caley deserves huge credit as well. They gave a very good account of the final pdd. I think Caley is overall a pleasing dancer with a warm stage presence. He was too short for Alexandrova, but it worked out.  I think this is a beautiful production: the costumes, scenery and lighting are in complete harmony. And finally I have to say that especially last night the company danced very well as a whole, clearly well prepared by their numerous coaches (!), with some very fine individual performances. If anyone is unsure about going, I would say it will be a very worthwhile outing given the overall good form of the company and the many qualities of the production and the orchestral performance (also very fine).

• Like 8

A lovely notice, BeauxArts.  I attended last night and was much relieved that Alexandrova recovered much of the glory lost on her previous outing.  Indeed the very air about her now had a relaxed bounty ensuring that her ever lucent smile was, refreshingly, much less fixed.  Her variation following the Rose Adagio was a thing of TOTAL joy.  The delicate banter of her eye's raillery was potent.  Little here now was pushed for effect.  Last time there were, I fear, elements that appeared calcified.  For example, whilst determinedly gesticulating with the finger pricked Alexandrova appeared to be testing the direction of the Coliseum's wind.  The results must have been frustratingly uncertain as she repeated it several times; each one more dogged than the previous.  It was, of course, her first outing in this particular production and happily that element quoted (and a goodly number of others) appeared to entirely dissipate last night.  At the curtain call it was refreshing to she her look overjoyed rather than merely alleviated.  

I really jump in here to give a shout out to Stina Quagebeur's Carabosse:  A truly magnificent creation - one rich in its theatrical detail.  The rooted - and indeed all too human - wit of her character came through with stellar force.  Indeed, Quagebeur reminded me very much of Merrill Ashley in similar thrust.  Blazing. 

(Additionally I must confess I do adore Shevelle Dynott as the Wolf.  His gleaming incisors growl so insolently they veritably force one to teehee.)  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

Seen on Twitter: Cast change: due to injury Aaron Robison will be replaced by Isaac Hernandez in the role of Prince Desire on Friday 15 June. Maria Alexandrova will perform in the role of Princess Aurora as advertised.

Was at the Coli last night, totally agree with Bruce, Alexandrova was just fantastic, such richness of movements, so many small details that make a real difference, I loved the way she interpreted Aurora.

Great congrats also to Caley for being able to do a great show at such short notice

And what to say about Stina? Really outstanding

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bridiem said:

Seen on Twitter: Cast change: due to injury Aaron Robison will be replaced by Isaac Hernandez in the role of Prince Desire on Friday 15 June.

That's a relief.  Sitting here watching BRB, I was wondering if Joseph Caley was going to have to abandon his scheduled partnering of his wife in her last performances here.

• Like 1

Thoughts on three performances. 

Gorgeous production: scenery made wonderfully atmospheric by fabulous lighting and terrific costumes. 

The women in the corps impressed me enormously; they were stylistically harmonious and generally exceptionally well co-ordinated making for a very pleasing vision scene and Act 3. Whoever was coaching them gets a huge thumbs up from me. 

I saw Takahashi/Arrieta twice and Alexandrova/Caley. The ladies could hardly be more different in look and style but I enjoyed both enormously. For sure Alexandrova doesn’t look like an Aurora but her dancing simply sparkled and her attention to her suitors, parents and Prince was all entirely appropriate, no grand standing Bolshoi showmanship here. I was even more impressed how she and Caley made the most of a less than ideal cast change. Caley looks like a schoolboy anyway and pitted against Alexandrova’s womanliness only exaggerated the contrast. He was also unfortunately at least 1/2 a head too short for her. But professionals that they were it didn’t phase them in the least and there was great warmth between them. The partnering was generally smooth including the fish dives, although they wisely omitted the high lift at the very end. It was my first time seeing Caley and he’s a neat if small scale dancer.  By contrast Arrieta is tall with long limbs and a lovely line with good elevation. He danced all his solos neatly, and partnered Takahashi attentively, definitely one to watch, I hope he’s cast as Des Grieux next year. 

Takahashi may be coming to the end of her career but she can still pass for a 16 year old Aurora. She was enchanting and I only have one gripe - I just wish she wouldn’t overextend her Rose Adagio balances :(

As far as Lilac fairies and variations were concerned it was sadly much the same story as the RB last time they danced it. I liked Alison McWhiney’s manner and warmth but unfortunately neither she nor Begonna Cao could conquer the variation - the Italian fouettés defeated them both. 

Among the soloists I saw it was a mixed bag, my standouts were Katja Kaniukova, Francesca Velicu and Ken Saruhashi who nearly nailed an excellent Bluebird. 

The orchestra were fabulous, and thanks to the Coli discounts I was able to enjoy the sound from great seats in the Dress Circle. 

• Like 5

No time - and besides I've already written - but just wanted to say that Cojocaru and Caley provided a gold standard SB this afternoon.  Truly.  They were beyond winning; they were, in fact, entirely victorious.  It was a privilege to simply share the same air.  One just prays that there might - just might - be yet another occasion to savour such glory .... or would that edge on being entirely too selfish?   

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 7