Ballet Cymru has revived Darius James and Amy Doughty's Cinderella which is my favourite work in the company;s repertoire and IMHO the best Cinderella anywhere.

I say that for several reasons.  It is very faithful to the Grimms' tale which is short and  tight as us the ballet.  I also love Jack White's simple but very moving score, James and Doughty's choreography and of course the cast.

I caught the show at the Waterside Arts Centre in Sale last night . I was enchanted by Bethe Meadway;s performance as Cinderella. Link Xander Parish and Kevin O'Hare she comes from Hull and they would have been proud of their fellow cod head.  Great performances also from Robbie Moorcroft, Isobel Holland, Dan Morrison, Miguel Fernandes, Eka Mastrangelo and Alex Hallas.

I noticed a few changes since the last run in 2015 most of which I liked.  The company uses lighting in place of sets and [ properties since it does a lot of touring and it has acquired some new projections.

If anyone is interested, I have written a longer review in my blog, 

• Like 2

This sounds interesting. I grew up in Sale - the Waterside theatre did not exist in its current form then, it was a tiny civic theatre, used for local amateur operatic productions. However, the Odeon cinema occasionally hosted Northern Ballet productions. I saw Giselle there, and a much-loved ballet called Miss Carter Wore Pink.

Would love to read more about this version of Cinderella- is there a link to your blog, Terpsichore?

Caroline

7 minutes ago, CCL said:

Would love to read more about this version of Cinderella- is there a link to your blog, Terpsichore?

Caroline

The tiny red letters at the bottom of the post are a clickable link.

I went to see Ballet Cymru at the Waterside last year (sadly couldn't get there this time) and thought it was a good venue.  

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

The tiny red letters at the bottom of the post are a clickable link.

Thank you, Jan! How dozy am I?! 

The Waterside Arts Centre is almost opposite the Metrolink stop and overlooks the Bridgewater Canal,   

Quite a lot of dance is performed at the theatre as you can see from this link https://watersidearts.org/whats-on/?category=dance
Ballet Black performed Dogs Don't Do Ballet there some years ago and Chantry Dance are expected later this year.   

I see you come from London CCL.  Ballet Cymru usually perform at Sadler's Wells in November or December.   I think they may present their new ballet, A Child's Christmas in Wales there.

If you want to see Cinderella (and I strongly recommend it for the reasons I set out in my review of 15 June 2015 )you can catch it at Stevenage on 4 July 2018 (see https://www.gordon-craig.co.uk/ballet-cymru-cinderella-i1968). They are a lovely company and I am sure you would enjoy the show.

PS  Gita and I were looking out for you last night Janet. I remember your review of A Midsummer Night's Dream and thought you might come again. Ballet Cymru have just recruited some excellent young dancers    I hope you get a chance to see them too.   I shall also look out for you at the Lowry this week.

Edited by Terpsichore

53 minutes ago, Terpsichore said:

I see you come from London CCL.  Ballet Cymru usually perform at Sadler's Wells in November or December.   I think they may present their new ballet, A Child's Christmas in Wales there.

ooh - is our Cerys reading/singing the Dylan Thomas for that?

Thank you for the heads up about ACCiW, Terpsichore- it sounds delightful - I hope it does indeed come to Sadler’s Wells later in the year.

I enjoyed your longer review of ‘Cinderella’ on your blog.

• Like 1