Rambert: Life is a Dream (new Kim Brandstrup), May 2018, and Autumn Tour 2018

• John Mallinson changed the title to Rambert: Life is a Dream (new Kim Brandstrup), May 2018, London

A very interesting evening although perhaps, on first viewing, & only in my opinion, not entirely successful? On the other hand, maybe this is a reflection of a not entirely positive day at work! However, it is certainly very impressive of Rambert to be producing such an ambitious piece of contemporary dance.

I only really got engaged in the second part, which I very much enjoyed & became engrossed in the different relationships/ personas depicted. I really loved some of the ‘waves’ of movement & how seemingly random movement fragments would Imerge in unison alongside and within surges of quite earthbound, but flowing, choreography for the group. I wasn’t quite sure of the first section (having deliberately not read any of the programme notes beforehand - possibly a fault on my part). Great set in the first ‘act’ with the stage fully opened up for the second part. Fantastic, brilliant performances from the dancers (of course; this is Rambert!)  & I have to say that I did find the music effective (again, particularly in the second section). 

I will certainly be going again as the piece, I feel, suggests intriguing questions about how a ‘narrarive’ can be presented and it will be interesting to see how that may change my view.   

Appologies for my rushed, possibly incoherent thoughts! 

• Like 1

I agree with all that! I confess that I also had a rather frustrating day at work, and we squeezed in a dinner with maybe a glass of wine too many at Tonica in Exmouth Market. As a result, I was slightly struggling to keep my eyes open towards the end of the first half. It was a very dark ambience in the theatre, which didn't help. Both the music and the dancing were, I felt, exquisite (how fantastic to have a proper orchestra), but not understanding what was going on made the first half rather challenging. A coffee at the interval helped with the second half which I agree was easier to appreciate. I would really like to buy the soundtrack, and agree that a second trip to Sadlers Wells (or maybe to the autumn tour?) would enhance my enjoyment.

First time for us to see Rambert - won't be the last. We probably wouldn't have gone were it not for the fact that a friend was playing in the orchestra. Talking to him at the interval, I was amused by the fact that they've hardly seen any of the dancing (and probably won't!).

PS - I've only just now read the programme and wish I'd done so at the interval (or earlier)....

Edited by thewinelake

In a Tweet earlier today, Bruce Marriott (DanceTabs) said he'd seen the preview and gave advice in pretty much these terms: "Read all you can about it .... and then read it all again."  The two comments above suggest he may well be right in that.

• Like 2

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at the rehearsal of Rambert's 'Life is a Dream' (Kim Brandstrup), at Sadlers Wells.
Here are some sample photos...

27436974247_c94b69391d_z.jpg

Edit Domoszlai, Miguel Altunaga
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. 
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

27436974707_6deca33262_z.jpg

Artists of the company

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Rambert - Life is a Dream

• 4 months later...
On 24/05/2018 at 14:49, zxDaveM said:

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at the rehearsal of Rambert's 'Life is a Dream' (Kim Brandstrup), at Sadlers Wells.
Here are some sample photos...

27436974247_c94b69391d_z.jpg

Edit Domoszlai, Miguel Altunaga

27436974707_6deca33262_z.jpg

Artists of the company

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Rambert - Life is a Dream

Amazing pictures! I really like the first one

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Rambert: Life is a Dream (new Kim Brandstrup), May 2018, and Autumn Tour 2018

I was at the opening night at the Lowry on Wednesday.

I read the synopsis on the cast sheet and thought "oh dear, here we go again".  It seemed so complex that I thought I would never have a clue what was going on!

Anyway, as it started it seemed fairly easy to follow as the director dreams of multiple versions of the same characters repeating similar actions.  As it is mainly about an incarcerated Polish Prince that seemed straight forward as there were obviously various versions of him.  Then I got completely confused when a lady in a hospital gown/straightjacket came into the equation!...

So, what did I actually think of the evening?  Life is a Dream is a visually stunning piece.  Act 1's set has a really gothic, almost spooky feel to it, enhanced by the mixture of simplified period costumes in what looks like crushed velvet and more modern suits and dresses.  The score is very appropriate and really enhances the mood, likewise the lighting.  If there is a little too much walking around in Act 1 that is compensated for by the flashes of fluid, lyrical choreography.  By the end of Act 1, I may have been confused but I was hooked!

Act 2, where the set is much simpler - perhaps a rehearsal studio, is absolutely stunning.  In Act 1 there were short bursts of brilliant choreography, act 2 is brimful of gorgeous choreography brilliantly danced by Rambert's fabulous dancers.  The act starts with the most lush solo for the dancer playing the role of the director (Liam Francis?) which then becomes a duet with his alter ego (the always fabulous Miguel Altunaga).  This short section alone is worth the entrance money.  Then the rest of the dancers appear.  I'd given up all hope of fathoming out the story but loved it just for its look, the choreography and the glorious dancing by Rambert.

This is a really complex piece with many layers and I would most definitely would have gone to see it again if the opportunity had arisen (hopefully next year).

• Like 2