New York City Center, as part of its 75th anniversary, has announced a series of events throughout the coming year.

I noticed from October 31 until November 4 a series of performances dedicated to Balanchine - the City Center Years (City Ballet were resident at City Center for 15 or 16 years before moving to State and Balanchine created many works for the company on that stage). There are several participating companies listed including the Royal Ballet (others include, as well as NYCB, Paris, Joffrey, Miami and the Mariinsky). As the Royal are due to be performing Mayerling and Bayadere at the opera house that week,  I assume that the Royal's participation must be limited to a couple of dancers sent over to perform, say, a pas de deux. Does anyone with a greater knowledge of the company know what the intentions are?

It's only five days of performances, but it looks potentially very interesting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The full programme with all companies (including NYCB, RB, SFB, MCB, Mariinsky and the Joffery) have been announced for the Balanchine Celebrations for the 75th Anniversary of City Center (where so many of Balanchine's key works were originally premiered).  I will be attending all performances.  Is anyone else from BcoF going??  (I'm sure with such stalwart RB followers here there must be a few).  Would love to meet up at an interval.  So pleased for SFB Divertimento and Scotch Symphony.  Would love to see Hayward/Hay in Tschai PDD (or maybe Naghdi/Ball) - and won't be surprised if you get Louvet (POB) and Shklyarov (Mariinsky) as they are NYC favourites.  Fingers crossed for Tiler Peck in SiC 1st Movement.  

Schedule

Program I—Wed Oct 31 at 8pm

Miami City Ballet Serenade (Tschaikovsky)
The Mariinsky Ballet Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux (Tschaikovsky)
The Royal Ballet Tarantella (Gottschalk)
New York City Ballet Symphony in C (Bizet)

Program II—Thu Nov 1 at 8pm

The Mariinsky Ballet Apollo (Stravinsky)
New York City Ballet Concerto Borocco (Bach)
The Royal Ballet Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux (Tschaikovsky)
San Francisco Ballet Divertimento No. 15 (Mozart)

Program III—Fri Nov 2 at 8pm

San Francisco Ballet Scotch Symphony (Mendelssohn)
Paris Opera Ballet Divertissement Pas de Deux from A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Mendelssohn)
Joffrey Ballet The Four Temperaments (Hindemith)

Program IV—Sat Nov 3 at 2pm

Miami City Ballet Pas de Trois (Glinka) (Glinka)
Paris Opera Ballet Pas de Deux from Agon (Stravinsky)
San Francisco Ballet Divertimento No. 15 (Mozart)

Program V—Sat, Nov 3 at 8pm

The Mariinsky Ballet Apollo (Stravinsky)
The Royal Ballet Tarantella (Gottschalk)
Paris Opera Ballet Pas de Deux from Agon (Stravinsky)
American Ballet Theatre Symphonie Concertante (Mozart)

Program VI—Sun Nov 4 at 3pm

Paris Opera Ballet Divertissement Pas de Deux from A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Mendelssohn)
American Ballet Theatre Symphonie Concertante (Mozart)

Edited by Ian Macmillan
Font size
  • Like 3

Further to this, if anyone is thinking of going, be warned it won't be cheap.

1) the end of the run coincides with NY Marathon weekend, so hotels are crazy expensive (think $500US a night).... if you can even find one with rooms available

2) ticket prices are also crazy expensive:

$275

$225

$175

$150

$125

$75

$50

plus service charges on top.

I am no longer planning a group trip!

• 3 months later...

Couldn't be happier with this .. On both counts ... Also the nycb line up for Symphony in C ... The ABT and SFB groups are grand as well ... So glad that Forster (a Brit) and Walsh are featured ... and Delgado for MCB. The Joffery line up is very good as well.  Will be attending all and definitely cheering on the home team. Are any other BCoF members attending?

Edited by Bruce Wall