Noooooo!!!!

Nothing against Takada but I've been waiting my whole ballet life to see Lauren's O/O because she was injured for both of the last 2 runs...

• Like 2

Me too ... :(  Plus I saw Takada on Saturday.

I was hoping when Lauren pulled out of a gala due to injury the other day that it was only precautionary :(

• Like 2

Same.

I bought an extra ticket to finally see Cuthbertson... and she's injured again. Surely I'll enjoy watching Takada instead.

• Like 1

I haven't actually seen Cuthbertson's O-O since her debut performance.  Hoping she's better very soon.

• Like 2

Neither have I!  Best wishes to Lauren.  

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

Noooooo!!!!

Nothing against Takada but I've been waiting my whole ballet life to see Lauren's O/O because she was injured for both of the last 2 runs...

Same. I have tickets to see Cuthbertson on 2nd June.  I seriously hope the injury is minor.  😔

• Like 1

So disappointed not to be seeing Lauren tomorrow. However probably not as disappointed as she is! Grateful to Takada for stepping in, so still looking forward to seeing this new production. Have enjoyed all the forum contributions so far. Will ask my wheelchair pusher to take me to bottom of escalator in case a friendly face is around in the interval. 

• Like 6

I have a feeling that if the Royal Ballet ever releases a DVD of this production in 2020 (as that should be when they revive swan lake again), it'll most likely be of Takada/McRae. If not, probably Lamb/Hirano. I'm hoping Takada as I would like to see them feature some of the newest female principals in these great roles. Though, I wish Hirano would be granted that opportunity since he tends to be overlooked. He is definitely one of my favorite male principals. 

Posted (edited)

I assumed that the 'A' cast is stuffed to the rafters with principals and filmed so that they can then release that as a DVD. Perhaps it's too early, but it would make sense to me to whet people's appetite for future runs...

Edited by Coated

A shame Lauren has had such terrible luck with Swan Lake.  Hope the injury is minor and she is able to carry on the remainder of her scheduled performances.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

I have a feeling that if the Royal Ballet ever releases a DVD of this production in 2020 (as that should be when they revive swan lake again), it'll most likely be of Takada/McRae. If not, probably Lamb/Hirano. I'm hoping Takada as I would like to see them feature some of the newest female principals in these great roles. Though, I wish Hirano would be granted that opportunity since he tends to be overlooked. He is definitely one of my favorite male principals. 

My dream DVD would be Naghdi/Ball in the lead roles.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Sim said:

Oh yes  I agree. It would be amazing to see this beautiful, talented couple rewarded / acknowled like that. Also it would be important as a piece of dance history, capturing them now at the  cusp of stardom. How many times have you heard people say they wished there were more films of Sibley & Dowell dancing together, that more of their performances had been filmed?... Let's not repeat that.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Coated said:

I assumed that the 'A' cast is stuffed to the rafters with principals and filmed so that they can then release that as a DVD. Perhaps it's too early, but it would make sense to me to whet people's appetite for future runs...

Well, they've done it for more or less all new productions, regardless of whether major changes were later made, so I'm assuming that will be the case here too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sim said:

But, surely, they will be the Romeo and Juliet for the cinema and the DVD next summer?

• Like 4

Who knows (I sure hope they are)?  And even if they are, this exciting partnership needs to be filmed more than once, like others have been!

• Like 7

I was hugely disappointed when the Swan Lake casting went up to see Yasmine Naghdi had not been partnered by Matthew Ball. Those two most exquisite dancers dancing their debut in the new Swan Lake, how exciting would that have been! 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, capybara said:

But, surely, they will be the Romeo and Juliet for the cinema and the DVD next summer?

50 minutes ago, Sim said:

Who knows (I sure hope they are)?  And even if they are, this exciting partnership needs to be filmed more than once, like others have been!

I don’t want to set any pulses racing, but the Romeo and Juliet cinema relay is being advertised with a picture of Naghdi and Ball. Probably doesn’t mean anything…

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Saodan said:

I don’t want to set any pulses racing, but the Romeo and Juliet cinema relay is being advertised with a picture of Naghdi and Ball. Probably doesn’t mean anything…

Actually, it usually does "mean something" - e.g. McRae advertising Mayerling etc etc.

• Like 4

Is Takada the go-to replacement for every injured leading lady?  She seems to have the ability to dance with a variety of partners at short notice.

• Like 1

In this case it seems so. 

Nunez having danced O/O last night  can't be asked to dance it again tonight, Lamb is dancing O/O tomorrow and also can't be asked to dance O/O twice in a row, Osipova I guess is not in the country right now and Naghdi cannot be asked to replace an O/O before having danced her own scheduled debut this coming Monday so that leaves Management only with Takada as replacement of the injured Cuthbertson. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Actually, it usually does "mean something" - e.g. McRae advertising Mayerling etc etc.

Indeed, I don't want to jinx it though!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Saodan said:

Indeed, I don't want to jinx it though!

*crosses every limb and digit*

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Is Takada the go-to replacement for every injured leading lady?  She seems to have the ability to dance with a variety of partners at short notice.

Her size must be an advantage, I'd guess, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

I was hugely disappointed when the Swan Lake casting went up to see Yasmine Naghdi had not been partnered by Matthew Ball. Those two most exquisite dancers dancing their debut in the new Swan Lake, how exciting would that have been! 

I agree Xandra and still don't understand it.  KOH seems to have put this rare and wonderful partnership on ice, and I am at a loss to understand why.    After all, they debuted beautifully in Sleeping Beauty and Giselle together, so why not this one??  Here's a chance to create another beautiful British partnership at the RB (a rare thing), and it's being let slide.  By the time we see them dance together again in a full-length ballet (assuming R&J next year) it will have been a year since Giselle.  A gap like that does not a partnership make.  As many of you will know, this is a real bug-bear for me:  what on earth does current management have against forming some long-lasting and special partnerships if they are there to be formed??  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, alison said:

Her size must be an advantage, I'd guess, too.

I thought about that after I posted, Alison.  Even so, leaving aside the issue of her height, and also programming, which obviously comes into it, I admire her ability to adapt quickly.  It can't be easy for either the female or the male in those circumstances, especially as Swan Lake is one of the most technically challenging roles

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sim said:

I agree Xandra and still don't understand it.  KOH seems to have put this rare and wonderful partnership on ice, and I am at a loss to understand why.    After all, they debuted beautifully in Sleeping Beauty and Giselle together, so why not this one??  Here's a chance to create another beautiful British partnership at the RB (a rare thing), and it's being let slide.  By the time we see them dance together again in a full-length ballet (assuming R&J next year) it will have been a year since Giselle.  A gap like that does not a partnership make.  As many of you will know, this is a real bug-bear for me:  what on earth does current management have against forming some long-lasting and special partnerships if they are there to be formed??  

Hi Sim, I assume it is/was because KO'H wanted to have the debuts with a dancer who had at least some experience with dancing Swan Lake in the past - especially considering it was a new production.  That's how I read it.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes WHEN will we see them together again?? They were oh so lovely in Onegin, followed by their most moving performance in Romeo&Juliet, Sleeping Beauty, SPF and her Prince and in Giselle. Next Season they are again not cast together :(  in La Bayadere (Naghdi/McRae/Takada), in Nutcracker Naghdi will be dancing with Australian Guest Principal Jackson...so we'll have to wait until June 2019 to hopefully see them in R&J?? 

Edited by Xandra Newman
spelling

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

Nunez having danced O/O last night  can't be asked to dance it again tonight, Lamb is dancing O/O tomorrow and also can't be asked to dance O/O twice in a row, Osipova I guess is not in the country right now and Naghdi cannot be asked to replace an O/O before having danced her own scheduled debut this coming Monday so that leaves Management only with Takada as replacement of the injured Cuthbertson. 

there have been occasions when dancers have made their debut before they were officially supposed to debut (though I'd have been particularly flummoxed if Yasmine Naghdi had debuted without me being there!). And are there no understudies available? Saying that, Akane Takada is one of those dancers I like a lot, so I'm certain she will be superb! 🙂

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sim said:

14 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Yes WHEN will we see them together again?? They were oh so lovely in Onegin, followed by their most moving performance in Romeo&Juliet, Sleeping Beauty, SPF and her Prince and in Giselle. Next Season they are again not cast together :(  in La Bayadere (Naghdi/McRae/Takada), in Nutcracker Naghdi will be dancing with Australian Guest Principal Jackson...so we'll have to wait until June 2019 to hopefully see them in R&J?? 

Drifting off topic a bit but although Naghdi/Ball have made some great debuts and dance well together, I don't feel the chemistry the way many on this forum do and of all the partners I've seen Ball with so far I actually loved him most with Lauren Cuthbertson in Marguerite and Armand. I could see them looking great in Romeo and Juliet. I'm looking forward to seeing Ball with Osipova in Swan Lake. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

And are there no understudies available? Saying that, Akane Takada is one of those dancers I like a lot, so I'm certain she will be superb! 🙂

I guess with 5 alternative Odette/Odiles an understudy wasn't considered necessary. And don't they tend to come into play when they expect several performances to be likely to be affected?