EYB Swan Lake Wimbledon 2018

Jay Jay

This may be a bit early but we are very excited that DS is doing this! Based on the main thread there are at least two others on here who are doing it. It will be great to be in touch especially as we aren’t able to make the casting day. 

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/05/2018 at 12:13, MAK said:

Casting 26th June

Rehearsals 6th-10th and 13th - 17th Aug

Dress rehearsal and performances 22nd - 25th August 

So I'm guessing your DD is doing this? Has she done any before? We haven't but went to see AdageKitty's daughter in Copelia and were very impressed!

On 18/05/2018 at 21:10, Confuddled said:

My dd is doing it, too - she knows a few others from her ballet school. Just waiting to hear about the rehearsal venue now.

Have you heard? I haven’t yet! Must. Relax. My daughter Eleanor is performing for the first time, we’re all so excited! Will be great to meet up with everyone! 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve just had a google, and according to Merton council’s website there are meters on Crescent Road (though I don’t know how many). You have to pay to park between 8.30 and 18.30, and it’s £1.20 an hour. This page (scroll down to nearly the bottom) gives the information: https://www2.merton.gov.uk/transport-streets/parking/parking-meters_30a5b07.htm#find 

It’s only half a mile from Raynes Park station (or a bit over a mile or a short bus ride from Wimbledon station), so that might be easier.

1 hour ago, Confuddled said:

I’ve just had a google, and according to Merton council’s website there are meters on Crescent Road (though I don’t know how many). You have to pay to park between 8.30 and 18.30, and it’s £1.20 an hour. This page (scroll down to nearly the bottom) gives the information: https://www2.merton.gov.uk/transport-streets/parking/parking-meters_30a5b07.htm#find 

It’s only half a mile from Raynes Park station (or a bit over a mile or a short bus ride from Wimbledon station), so that might be easier.

Thanks Confuddled. I was wondering if there was parking in the school as it is the holidays?

DD is a Hungarian dancer and a lady in waiting...she’s a bit disappointed (obvs wanted to be a Swan) - anyone any experience of Swan Lake with EYB and can shed any light? To me these sound interesting roles!

Edited by Becca

8 hours ago, Becca said:

DD is a Hungarian dancer and a lady in waiting...she’s a bit disappointed (obvs wanted to be a Swan) - anyone any experience of Swan Lake with EYB and can shed any light? To me these sound interesting roles!

DD had those parts when she did Swan Lake. She quickly realised that they were far more fun than being a Swan. They did the Lady in Waiting dance en pointe and the Hungarian in character shoes. They are on stage for the whole of Act 1. Hope that helps. 

1 hour ago, Pointetoes said:

DD had those parts when she did Swan Lake. She quickly realised that they were far more fun than being a Swan. They did the Lady in Waiting dance en pointe and the Hungarian in character shoes. They are on stage for the whole of Act 1. Hope that helps. 

Thanks so much, I’m sure that will help!! She’s just passed her assessment for pointe shoes (she’s just turned 11) so won’t get them til September now, but she does has a great relevee! I guess that helped!! Are the dances in small groups?

Everyone gets a decent amount of time on stage and plenty of dancing in EYB productions. I know what it's like to have a DC who has their heart set on a certain part and is disappointed not to get it, but honestly there are no "bad" parts in EYB. If your DCs approach their parts with a positive attitude then in all likelihood they will have a great time and may well, as mine did, say at the end "I'm really glad I was an X and not a Y now!"

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pointetoes said:

Haha @Pointetoes perhaps I shouldn't mention that to my Swan?! 😉 To be honest, I think my two dds would have been buzzing with whatever parts they got as they seemed to really enjoy the whole experience last night and now can't wait to start in August (it's their first EYB)! DD1 will apparently dance in Acts 2 and 3 - a swan in one and a Spanish dancer in the other - and DD2 is in Acts 1 and 3 as a Mariinsky dancer (though her initial text described it as "Moskesky dancer" which made me chuckle). Sounds like all the parts are lovely :)

• Like 2