Sugarplummum

RBS Junior Associates 2018

1 hour ago, Tito said:

Hi Sunrise81,

Did your daughter get offered a Yr 4 place off the SWL for London or for another centre? 

She auditioned in London but attends Leeds centre. We couldn't attend Leeds one :)

My son 10, did a non-syllabus Boys 12 week ballet course this year taught by an RBS dancer.

What became very apparent as the weeks went on was that they did the same thing over and over and over again. They did not progress past a certain point umless the point at which they were currently at was absolutely perfect. The teacher never felt they were good enough so they didn’t put the spin on the end of their pirouette prep.

The teaching approach was slow, exacting, and strict. The main focus of every movement was posture, and then posture over and over again.

i have watched the live feed RBS rehearsals from the ROH on YouTube. If you are interested in a taster of how the training would be with RBS they are well worth watching.

The style of teaching that they use does not suit everyone, it would not suit me, and their approach to training is very different from other schools from what I can see. Their belief that it is better to master one move with absolute perfection, rather than a 100 mediocre moves says a lot about their overall philosophy. 

Some of the boys in my sons class were quickly bored, and confused by this approach as it is not how ballet exam classes are usually  taught.

My son to both our surprise was offered a JA place, his first ever audition outside EYB. Prior to the audition his dance teacher focused on posture, flexibility and strength work with him, not ballet. 

He found the audition nerve wracking because it had so little ballet in it. He showed me some of the flexibility work they did, it was very difficult indeed.

To there credit the RBS did indicate in their taster class audition last November what format their auditions would follow. For a two hour dance class, that I watched, there was about 20 mins of basic ballet, the rest was foot placement, body alignment and posture. All of this was in the JA audition that my son took part in.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Motomum said:

My son 10, did a non-syllabus Boys 12 week ballet course this year taught by an RBS dancer.

What became very apparent as the weeks went on was that they did the same thing over and over and over again. They did not progress past a certain point umless the point at which they were currently at was absolutely perfect. The teacher never felt they were good enough so they didn’t put the spin on the end of their pirouette prep.

The teaching approach was slow, exacting, and strict. The main focus of every movement was posture, and then posture over and over again.

i have watched the live feed RBS rehearsals from the ROH on YouTube. If you are interested in a taster of how the training would be with RBS they are well worth watching.

The style of teaching that they use does not suit everyone, it would not suit me, and their approach to training is very different from other schools from what I can see. Their belief that it is better to master one move with absolute perfection, rather than a 100 mediocre moves says a lot about their overall philosophy. 

Some of the boys in my sons class were quickly bored, and confused by this approach as it is not how ballet exam classes are usually  taught.

My son to both our surprise was offered a JA place, his first ever audition outside EYB. Prior to the audition his dance teacher focused on posture, flexibility and strength work with him, not ballet. 

He found the audition nerve wracking because it had so little ballet in it. He showed me some of the flexibility work they did, it was very difficult indeed.

To there credit the RBS did indicate in their taster class audition last November what format their auditions would follow. For a two hour dance class, that I watched, there was about 20 mins of basic ballet, the rest was foot placement, body alignment and posture. All of this was in the JA audition that my son took part in.

One thing for certain regarding RBS, it's absolutely not the be all and end all school. Like has been said on this forum many times before, there's more than one road leading to Rome

• Like 4

Fingers crossed for those on SWL-do let us know if you are offered places😁

• Like 1

On 20/06/2018 at 08:41, Crazylife said:

I’ve followed this forum through the audition waiting game each year but this is my first time speaking out. It was reading the comments about when to give up that made me want to shout “never”. My DD was a no in years 4 & 5 and SWL for year 6, and each year she we had a no for summer school. She was in other associate programs but never RB. She wanted to apply for full time schools and I didn’t want to apply for the royal - by the time you add up the application fees for lowes school, Mids, & the summer/spring intensives it was so expensive so I told her it seemed a waste of time after all the no’s. But she said she just wanted to go for the experience. She starts at White Lodge this September having been accepted at all 3 Vocational schools she applied for, so if your DD or DS has the heart and determination to keep trying - the simple answer is you should never give up. All children change and develop in their own way and their own time - as parents we want black and white answers but they’re just not there. No one can knows the answer to how long the wait list is or what the chances are - it’s simply down to how many decide not to take their place that year so in other words - fate. I got very used to the painful wait, refreshing and searching for hidden answers to all the unknowns. My DD adores dancing and copes with the no’s and the roller coaster of auditions -  they’re so much tougher than we are. So, if you had a yes - congratulations. And if you had a ‘not this time’ then it really can be a not yet, so please don’t give up. 

wow. the mind just boggles how they could say no on that many occasions and then  a WL yes, even if the child has developed and progressed in various ways - I think thats why people give up because they think they must be insane to think RBS would miss a talent on that many occasions so they tell themselves they've got rose tinted glasses on and they need to stop being delusional. As other forum members have stated, I think it's fair to say sometimes RBS simply don't get it right (On the no's!). So parents and children maybe need to just follow their passion and instincts, like you say, and not overthink the number of no's. well done your DD. what resilience x

To be fair M2BF, RBS get it wrong with the yes's too, it's not only the no's. At such a young age, it must be almost impossible for any school to get it right every time, for many reasons.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 24/06/2018 at 11:39, Vonrothbart said:

To be fair M2BF, RBS get it wrong with the yes's too, it's not only the no's. At such a young age, it must be almost impossible for any school to get it right every time, for many reasons.

On 22/06/2018 at 12:45, Hazel said:

Fingers crossed for those on SWL-do let us know if you are offered places😁

On 24/06/2018 at 11:39, Vonrothbart said:

Just to let all of you SWL mums know, it is possible.. My DD was offered a London yr6 place today after being on SWL 2 years on the trot!! As you can all imagine it was a great day for DD. x

Edited by Starlight69
  • Like 9

Ahhh that’s amazing, congratulations to her! bit gutting here as it suggests we won’t be getting a SWL call if they’ve been done/we’ve not had one! Least I can stop wondering now!