RBS Junior Associates 2018

Sugarplummum

40 minutes ago, Crazylife said:

I’ve followed this forum through the audition waiting game each year but this is my first time speaking out. It was reading the comments about when to give up that made me want to shout “never”. My DD was a no in years 4 & 5 and SWL for year 6, and each year she we had a no for summer school. She was in other associate programs but never RB. She wanted to apply for full time schools and I didn’t want to apply for the royal - by the time you add up the application fees for lowes school, Mids, & the summer/spring intensives it was so expensive so I told her it seemed a waste of time after all the no’s. But she said she just wanted to go for the experience. She starts at White Lodge this September having been accepted at all 3 Vocational schools she applied for, so if your DD or DS has the heart and determination to keep trying - the simple answer is you should never give up. All children change and develop in their own way and their own time - as parents we want black and white answers but they’re just not there. No one can knows the answer to how long the wait list is or what the chances are - it’s simply down to how many decide not to take their place that year so in other words - fate. I got very used to the painful wait, refreshing and searching for hidden answers to all the unknowns. My DD adores dancing and copes with the no’s and the roller coaster of auditions -  they’re so much tougher than we are. So, if you had a yes - congratulations. And if you had a ‘not this time’ then it really can be a not yet, so please don’t give up. 

Excellent post! Thank you for the encouragement and I have heard of many other “success stories” after never being a JA. It’s definately not the be All and end All and there are many other routes and good Associates programmes out there! When I told my daughter about the “no” (or better “not yet”) she was absolutely fine with it. I think a lot of times it’s harder on the parents as we want to protect them and give them every opportunity, and the long wait makes it worse as we start analysing it all (at least for me). But at the end of the day in the ballet/dance/performing world there will be lots of “no’s” and it does make them more resilient. I’m amazed at how my daughter still wants to try again next year for Mids! 

• Like 4

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like CrazyLife's post. This is the first time that we have experienced auditions for JAs and I must admit that the audition itself seemed to be so simple and there was so much emphasis on flexibility exercises and no actual dance/musicality content that it would seem that the RBS really just takes ones that are super flexible and then molds them. Does anyone have any idea if they stand a chance if put on the SWL? I think it seems strange that there even put gthem on it because who is realistically going to give up a place at the RBS!! When my son came out of the audition he said that a lot couldn't even do basic gallops, etc., so does this mean that if you haven't got a super flexible body then you don't have a chance from day 1? I would really like some advice from other mums about why they are put on the SWL (and if it's worth trying again!) and why an earth they choose children that have no experience of dance whatsoever!

Looking forward to your answers!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tito said:

I really like CrazyLife's post. This is the first time that we have experienced auditions for JAs and I must admit that the audition itself seemed to be so simple and there was so much emphasis on flexibility exercises and no actual dance/musicality content that it would seem that the RBS really just takes ones that are super flexible and then molds them. Does anyone have any idea if they stand a chance if put on the SWL? I think it seems strange that there even put gthem on it because who is realistically going to give up a place at the RBS!! When my son came out of the audition he said that a lot couldn't even do basic gallops, etc., so does this mean that if you haven't got a super flexible body then you don't have a chance from day 1? I would really like some advice from other mums about why they are put on the SWL (and if it's worth trying again!) and why an earth they choose children that have no experience of dance whatsoever!

No - only place my DS didn't get a Y7 place was WL  - he was told as a JA he was too flexible for WL (suspected hypermobility).    Now a strapping 6 footer who has shot past his dad's height and build (anyone remember my constant worry he would be too small as well as too bendy) he dreams of the days of dropping into splits.

But his musicality has never been questioned (except possibly by the Grade 4 piano examiner, but that's a long story). 

I don't think anyone has every really worked out who  is put on which lists, or why they chose certain  children, and this goes for most schools and most artistic disciplines.  It is simply a matter of taking what you can from the experience and moving on.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tito said:

I think that what you need to keep in mind is that they are looking for the children that they think are most likely to respond to the RBS style of training. Physique is a huge part of that, though it's more than just flexibility. Previous dance experience isn't hugely important as they go very much back to basics with everyone anyway.

Nobody really knows precisely what they are looking for, and my advice would not be to dwell on it too much - you're never going to know for sure and even if you did there would almost certainly  be factors that you have little or no control over anyway. 

The reality of the matter is that the chances of anyone "making it" as a professional ballet dancer in a classical company like the Royal Ballet are absolutely tiny, even for those who get into the full time schools. That's not to say don't try, but make sure that the focus is enjoying the journey rather than any particular end point. There are many other schemes, lots of different opportunities and experiences to be had along the way. Remember that around 90% of JA applicants don't get a place, and most of them will be amongst the stronger dancers in their local schools. It can be very disheartening for children, and parents, especially if this is the first time they have experienced rejection, but I found it helpful to remind my daughter of the numbers involved and to stress that it isn't a judgement on existing technique or effort being made. We got our first no from JAs over a decade ago and I still remember the upset. But my DD is still dancing and hoping to make a career within the dance world, even though she knows she will never be in a classical company. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Tito said:

Hi Tito,

My DD is not at all flexible and has never mastered the splits but was offered a Y6 place so I don’t think that flexibility can be the driving factor. I guess we have to remember it’s just the opinion of one panel on one particular day and each panellist will have their own preferences in what they look for in a dancer. I think it is completely impossible to second guess anything at these auditions. I also loved CrazyLife’s post. 

Xxx

Hi there all,

Thanks for all of your helpful answers. My son precisely has lots of musicality and a wonderful body for dance, hence my question as to whether it could be the flexibility issue (although i think that this is something they can improve on over the years). If they get put on the SWL this obviously means that they've got something but not enough! It would just be nice to know which boxes they didn't tick with the panel so that you can then work on these things and consider whether it's worth keeping reapplying for JAs RBS. I've got him accepted on another JA programme that isn't so competitive so that's good. He's not at all worried - it would seem to be us mums!! 

Anyone have any experience of getting into the RBS after being on the SWL?

congratulations to all the yes’ and to all the not yets keep trying. My little DD had a no thank you, she was upset last night, but this morning has already talked about giving it another go next year. I am incredibly proud of her for even going to an audition at such a young age, we will keep trying until my DD doesn’t want to. X

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Tito said:

If they get put on the SWL this obviously means that they've got something but not enough!

What it means is that we don't have enough places for those for whom we liked what we saw on the audition day or from short course photo applications.  RBS create short wait lists for all programmes and when a place become available they will review those in their lists.  As others have said places do become available from wait lists (places are given up for all sorts of reasons) and a no doesn't mean a no later down the line.  Good training is good training irrespective of the particular programme so I hope your son enjoys his new associates.

1 hour ago, Tito said:

Hi there all,

Thanks for all of your helpful answers. My son precisely has lots of musicality and a wonderful body for dance, hence my question as to whether it could be the flexibility issue (although i think that this is something they can improve on over the years). If they get put on the SWL this obviously means that they've got something but not enough! It would just be nice to know which boxes they didn't tick with the panel so that you can then work on these things and consider whether it's worth keeping reapplying for JAs RBS. I've got him accepted on another JA programme that isn't so competitive so that's good. He's not at all worried - it would seem to be us mums!! 

Anyone have any experience of getting into the RBS after being on the SWL?

Yep it was my DD last year that got a Year 4 place from SWL after about 3 days :)

1 minute ago, pinkbex81 said:

I have a current Year 4 boy in London. 

Going into Year 5 in September. X

Aw lovely maybe we will see each other. My ds has been offered 24 sessions - glad about that as he has only just turned 8

1 minute ago, Bbc14t said:

Aw lovely maybe we will see each other. My ds has been offered 24 sessions - glad about that as he has only just turned 8

That's the class he is currently in. Lovely teacher and he has had a wonderful year! He is moving up to 32 sessions JA4 in September. Well done! X

My son 10, did a non-syllabus Boys 12 week ballet course this year taught by an RBS dancer.

What became very apparent as the weeks went on was that they did the same thing over and over and over again. They did not progress past a certain point umless the point at which they were currently at was absolutely perfect. The teacher never felt they were good enough so they didn’t put the spin on the end of their pirouette prep.

The teaching approach was slow, exacting, and strict. The main focus of every movement was posture, and then posture over and over again.

i have watched the live feed RBS rehearsals from the ROH on YouTube. If you are interested in a taster of how the training would be with RBS they are well worth watching.

The style of teaching that they use does not suit everyone, it would not suit me, and their approach to training is very different from other schools from what I can see. Their belief that it is better to master one move with absolute perfection, rather than a 100 mediocre moves says a lot about their overall philosophy. 

Some of the boys in my sons class were quickly bored, and confused by this approach as it is not how ballet exam classes are usually  taught.

My son to both our surprise was offered a JA place, his first ever audition outside EYB. Prior to the audition his dance teacher focused on posture, flexibility and strength work with him, not ballet. 

He found the audition nerve wracking because it had so little ballet in it. He showed me some of the flexibility work they did, it was very difficult indeed.

To there credit the RBS did indicate in their taster class audition last November what format their auditions would follow. For a two hour dance class, that I watched, there was about 20 mins of basic ballet, the rest was foot placement, body alignment and posture. All of this was in the JA audition that my son took part in.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Motomum said:

My son 10, did a non-syllabus Boys 12 week ballet course this year taught by an RBS dancer.

What became very apparent as the weeks went on was that they did the same thing over and over and over again. They did not progress past a certain point umless the point at which they were currently at was absolutely perfect. The teacher never felt they were good enough so they didn’t put the spin on the end of their pirouette prep.

The teaching approach was slow, exacting, and strict. The main focus of every movement was posture, and then posture over and over again.

i have watched the live feed RBS rehearsals from the ROH on YouTube. If you are interested in a taster of how the training would be with RBS they are well worth watching.

The style of teaching that they use does not suit everyone, it would not suit me, and their approach to training is very different from other schools from what I can see. Their belief that it is better to master one move with absolute perfection, rather than a 100 mediocre moves says a lot about their overall philosophy. 

Some of the boys in my sons class were quickly bored, and confused by this approach as it is not how ballet exam classes are usually  taught.

My son to both our surprise was offered a JA place, his first ever audition outside EYB. Prior to the audition his dance teacher focused on posture, flexibility and strength work with him, not ballet. 

He found the audition nerve wracking because it had so little ballet in it. He showed me some of the flexibility work they did, it was very difficult indeed.

To there credit the RBS did indicate in their taster class audition last November what format their auditions would follow. For a two hour dance class, that I watched, there was about 20 mins of basic ballet, the rest was foot placement, body alignment and posture. All of this was in the JA audition that my son took part in.

One thing for certain regarding RBS, it's absolutely not the be all and end all school. Like has been said on this forum many times before, there's more than one road leading to Rome

• Like 4

On 20/06/2018 at 08:41, Crazylife said:

I’ve followed this forum through the audition waiting game each year but this is my first time speaking out. It was reading the comments about when to give up that made me want to shout “never”. My DD was a no in years 4 & 5 and SWL for year 6, and each year she we had a no for summer school. She was in other associate programs but never RB. She wanted to apply for full time schools and I didn’t want to apply for the royal - by the time you add up the application fees for lowes school, Mids, & the summer/spring intensives it was so expensive so I told her it seemed a waste of time after all the no’s. But she said she just wanted to go for the experience. She starts at White Lodge this September having been accepted at all 3 Vocational schools she applied for, so if your DD or DS has the heart and determination to keep trying - the simple answer is you should never give up. All children change and develop in their own way and their own time - as parents we want black and white answers but they’re just not there. No one can knows the answer to how long the wait list is or what the chances are - it’s simply down to how many decide not to take their place that year so in other words - fate. I got very used to the painful wait, refreshing and searching for hidden answers to all the unknowns. My DD adores dancing and copes with the no’s and the roller coaster of auditions -  they’re so much tougher than we are. So, if you had a yes - congratulations. And if you had a ‘not this time’ then it really can be a not yet, so please don’t give up. 

wow. the mind just boggles how they could say no on that many occasions and then  a WL yes, even if the child has developed and progressed in various ways - I think thats why people give up because they think they must be insane to think RBS would miss a talent on that many occasions so they tell themselves they've got rose tinted glasses on and they need to stop being delusional. As other forum members have stated, I think it's fair to say sometimes RBS simply don't get it right (On the no's!). So parents and children maybe need to just follow their passion and instincts, like you say, and not overthink the number of no's. well done your DD. what resilience x

On 24/06/2018 at 11:39, Vonrothbart said:

To be fair M2BF, RBS get it wrong with the yes's too, it's not only the no's. At such a young age, it must be almost impossible for any school to get it right every time, for many reasons.

On 22/06/2018 at 12:45, Hazel said:

Fingers crossed for those on SWL-do let us know if you are offered places😁

On 24/06/2018 at 11:39, Vonrothbart said:

To be fair M2BF, RBS get it wrong with the yes's too, it's not only the no's. At such a young age, it must be almost impossible for any school to get it right every time, for many reasons.

Just to let all of you SWL mums know, it is possible.. My DD was offered a London yr6 place today after being on SWL 2 years on the trot!! As you can all imagine it was a great day for DD. x

Edited by Starlight69
  • Like 9