Ballet costumes you covet?

I loved the women’s costumes in the Bohemian scene from ‘Winter’s Tale’ - beautiful floral pastels - and those stunning ball gowns from ‘La Valse’ - so elegant with the long gloves.

Others are the glittering costumes from ‘Birthday Offering’,  Snowflakes and Rose Fairy from ‘Nutcracker’ (RB) and the gorgeous outfits with little fur topped boots/pointe shoes from ‘Les Patinuers’ - soon to be seen again at the ROH (RB’s season Autumn/Winter 2018/19).

98B2E673-E126-4A77-87BD-63ABA032563E.jpeg

D56417B5-951B-4544-8DF1-2AF61105E77B.jpeg

Edited by Springbourne3
  • Like 2

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The yellow tutus and purple tutus from the dance of the hours in Act III of the Bolshoi's Coppelia.  I particularly like the ruched bodices.  Will try and find a photo ...

Edit: Can't seem to find a decent photo :(

Plus, I'd forgotten until yesterday, the white tutus in their Jardin Animé scene from Le Corsaire.

• Like 1

I am partial to the very classical classics 😊

All of Aurora's tutus at the Royal Ballet

Bolshoi Ballet Medora tutu (the purple one especially!)

The 'stereotypical' blue Giselle Act 1 dress! 

Wili costumes, and Swan tutus

Juliet Balcony Scene dress

All of Marguerite's costumes in Lady of the Camellias (Bolshoi) 

I did love all of the costumes in RB Frankenstein (a ballet which people seem to hate but i thought was amazing!)

:) 

• Like 3

Nice to see you posting in the "main" part of the forum, Arucaria :) 

I'm trying to think which one Medora's purple tutu is - it's not ringing bells at the moment (she says just as the ice cream van drives by doing just that!)

• Like 1

Act Three of the new RB Swan Lake.  At the start of the ball scene, some of the invited ladies are wearing black and gold bodices and black skirts with long black gloves that are breathtaking.  I WANT ONE!  But I would also settle for the act one girls' dresses in cream with the power net sleeves and the striped bodices and skirts with the big bustles!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

ALL the Act 3 Princesses' costumes in the new Swan Lake - except maybe the Neopolitan one - too many ribbons!

Don't worry, I've got my eye on last night's Neopolitan princess dress 😀

• Like 3

I also love the swirling silver gowns in Balanchine's Vienna Waltzes ...

9c148368c357f8999adc5014ba2fb156.jpg

For "silly" costumes I've always adored the get-up of the stepsisters in Ashton's Cinderella, especially the Frederick Ashton role as the "sweet" sister.

robert-helpmann-and-frederick-ashton-as-

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

,  nomination for the worst costume.

This comes from a much loved ballet book that I have owned for many years. In The Art of the Royal Ballet by Keith Money, there are several pages of photographs depicting Robert Helpmann's 1963 ballet Elektra, with Nadia Nerina in the title role, partnered by David Blair in the role of Orestes.  To say the costumes look amateurish would be doing a great disservice to the many excellent costumes designed and made by willing volunteers. I have always smiled at one particular colour picture captured by Money which states," David Blair is clearly beginning to get covered with dye from Nadia Nerina's costume."  A glance at the picture reveals that this is no exaggeration.

I have searched on line to find the said costume and found this, https://ballet.blogberth.com/2017/10/06/nadia-nerina-in-elektra-royal-ballet-1963/  But it really needs a colour shot to reveal the extent of the travesty. Incidentally, the costume is navy blue.

Edited by Odyssey

do you think we should have a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Dancers? It would hopefully guard against choreographers who ask the impossible of dancers and designers who manage to make dancers look unattractive or clothes that are well nigh impossible to dance in without risking life and limb. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

do you think we should have a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Dancers? It would hopefully guard against choreographers who ask the impossible of dancers and designers who manage to make dancers look unattractive or clothes that are well nigh impossible to dance in without risking life and limb. 

I'd like to second that.  No dancer, however beautifully proportioned, can look good in a costume that looks like ill-fitting, faded undies.  My pet hates are the dreadful corsets worn in 'La Petit Mort' and the knickers and vest sets for Chroma.  One of the professional dance critics memorably described them as being 'the colour of old bras'.

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:51, alison said:

Okay, it's changed colour overnight.  I'm sure it looked far closer to bottle green!

Maybe needs to be viewed with f.lux on :) I prefer the bottle-ish green look, anyway!

On 11/06/2018 at 12:58, ArucariaBallerina said:

I am partial to the very classical classics 😊

All of Aurora's tutus at the Royal Ballet

Bolshoi Ballet Medora tutu (the purple one 

I did love all of the costumes in RB Frankenstein (a ballet which people seem to hate but i thought was amazing!)

:)

Just shown a English PhD friend  my RB Frankenstein DVD because her digibox packed up when she tried to record it and she loves Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. She was gobsmacked by it and full of praise for Liam Scarlett’s narrative and choreography , loved the fact that two of the dancers were Australia as she is too and full of praise for Steven MCRae’s Creature. 

Edited by Fiz
Missed out a bit.
  • Like 1

I have a special place in my heart for the Chappel designs for Les Rendezvous.   By this I mean the floaty white dresses with pink or white trim.

I think my love of those increases every time I see the most recent incarnation of this ballet, complete with washing up gloves.   Frankly hideous!

Edited by Two Pigeons
Word omitted
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

Having just read through this thread I have to say that I am lucky enough to own Lynn Seymour's costume from the Balcony Scene of Romeo and Juliet, bought many years ago at an auction held by the Friends of BRB. How they came by it I have no idea.

• Like 9

Ive a preference for floaty Dances at a Gathering type costumes myself. 
Not sure which colour I’d go for though 🤔

Probably the lilac one
Theres a great piccie of Francesca Hayward ( wearing lilac) with Bracewell in which she literally appears to be floating beside him as well! I did try to post here but doesn’t work ...could be some rights on it so can’t share it. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

I actually own one of the costumes in the top picture (ignoring any ads) here: I don't covet it though.  It's just grown on me over the years.

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/dutch_ballet_in_naked_fat_suits
😄😄😄

Edited by maryrosesatonapin
forgot to mention ignore possible adverts
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

Having just read through this thread I have to say that I am lucky enough to own Lynn Seymour's costume from the Balcony Scene of Romeo and Juliet, bought many years ago at an auction held by the Friends of BRB. How they came by it I have no idea.

I remember that day.  The catalogue for the auction specified that the costume still had some of her makeup on it!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I've always wanted the red dress  worn by Margot Fonteyn in Marguerite and Armand.   Edited to add what do the costumes look like now?  I have never seen it live.

just do a quick search on Flickr - there are lots of examples there

Yes that particular red dress is rather nice it’s just that layers of net tend to look fab on the right figure let’s say!! 
I suppose it depends how you interpret the title ...does covet mean you just want to own in order to just look at it or do you fancy yourself actually wearing the costume! 

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I've always wanted the red dress  worn by Margot Fonteyn in Marguerite and Armand.   Edited to add what do the costumes look like now?  I have never seen it live.

I saw this danced by Alina Cojocaru a couple of years ago - you can see the dress here: she looked absolutely gorgeous.
https://www.culturewhisper.com/r/dance/alina_cojucaru_sadlers_wells/14828