Ballet costumes you covet?

54 minutes ago, Jane S said:

In my dreams, Suzanne Farrell's dress from the last scene in Vienna Waltzes - the ultimate balldress; for more everyday wear, I rather fancy the Hostess's dress from Les Biches - might need to pop a little cardie over it though, at my age. And the pearls as well, please.

Bet no one covets the beach boys outfits in Les  Biches!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not fond of white dresses generally - not my colour. Like:

sylvia's pink tutu

manon's black and gold dress

margeurite's red and black dresses

sugar plum fairy tutu

aurora's tutu

firebird tutu

a bit too much of a tutu theme here!

• Like 2

Jane S beat me to it with Les Biches, so I am going to have to make do with a bell-shaped Birthday Offering tutu  or something from Scheherazade. Anything designed by Bakst, Levasseur, Georgiadis or David Walker would make me happy!

Edited by Darlex

SPF tutu

Firebird tutu

Lilac Fairy tutu (even though it's more magenta, I like how the lighter shade contrasts with the corps)

Manon's black dress

Gamzatti's gold tutu

Les Biches gold dress

Birthday Offering......everything

Palais de Cristal

Monotones

Raymonda's red tutu in Act II (Vikharev reconstruction)

Aurora's Act I and III tutu (Vikharev reconstruction)

Marguerite's dark blue/purple dress (Neumeier production)

Prince Rudolf's black and gold jacket

Siegfried's black and white jacket, Act III of ABT's Swan Lake

Espada's green costume, tavern scene

Edited by MRR
  • Like 3

Oh, and the peasant girls' dresses in Act I of the now-old RB Swan Lake - whether rust or green, I'm not fussy!

Plus I think there's a Siegfried costume from some production of Swan Lake or other, but I can't remember what now.

And I agree about the white Act I dresses in Anastasia - Edwardian-style dresses always look so good somehow.

Marguerite's black dress. I like the others but that one is just gorgeous.

Cinderella's tutu and long sheer cloak.

The Winter Fairy costume from Cinderella with all those crystals along the ballerina's arms.

The new Australian Ballet Lilac Fairy tutu - not sure why, but I really like it.

12 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Once the new Swan Lake is launched, I suspect there will be many "must haves". Absolutely sumptuous costumes (no spoilers here though). Saw rehearsal today  

I thought the Spanish Dance skirt, which we saw Tierney Heap wearing in the publicly-streamed studio rehearsal, was stunning (though I was slightly concerned about its length and the practicality of dancing in it without getting the heel of a character shoe caught in it).

My favourites would have to be:

Everything from Jewels especially Emeralds...just beautiful

Manon's black dress

Marguerite's dresses

The corp's swan costumes in RB's Swan Lake (I loved the long skirts instead of the tutu, I wonder what the new ones will be like!)

Everyone's costumes in Elite Syncopations 😊

The costumes for the Snowflakes in pretty much any production of the Nutcracker

• Like 1

On 15/05/2018 at 00:17, alison said:

And I agree about the white Act I dresses in Anastasia - Edwardian-style dresses always look so good somehow.

If you like Edwardian how about the dresses in Enigma variations?

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

After tonight: EVERYTHING from the new Swan Lake!

You beat me to it, Lizbie1!! Especially the dresses for Siegfried's sisters in Act 1, but almost all the costumes were SO beautiful.

Not for wearing: just admiring

• Anything black and red by Ivan Vasiliiev in Don Quixote

• Kostchei's snake costume in Murphy's Firebird

• The gorgeous ball dresses of any of the guests at Chez Maximes in The Merry Widow

• The v simple women's costumes in Symphonic Variations

Interestingly, a few people have suggested the Kschessinska costume from Anastasia as a covetous costume.

I agree, but they refer to the Crowley design from the 1996 revision. Whilst I agree that this is a particularly attractive tutu design in colour, material, shape and construction, the original Barry Kay design from 1971 is far superior. In many ways, I feel it is the best designed and constructed tutu I have ever seen on a ballet stage. Kay later (1972) tweaked the size and construction of the tutu, which was not an improvement, though still very fine,but the 1971 original was unsurpassed. The Crowley designs were adequate but, in general, significantly inferior to Kay's original.

19 minutes ago, Douglas Allen said:

Interestingly, a few people have suggested the Kschessinska costume from Anastasia as a covetous costume.

I agree, but they refer to the Crowley design from the 1996 revision. Whilst I agree that this is a particularly attractive tutu design in colour, material, shape and construction, the original Barry Kay design from 1971 is far superior. In many ways, I feel it is the best designed and constructed tutu I have ever seen on a ballet stage. Kay later (1972) tweaked the size and construction of the tutu, which was not an improvement, though still very fine,but the 1971 original was unsurpassed. The Crowley designs were adequate but, in general, significantly inferior to Kay's original.

Ooh, does anyone know of any pictures online?

On 18/05/2018 at 12:04, jmb said:

Not for wearing: just admiring

• Anything black and red by Ivan Vasiliiev in Don Quixote

• Kostchei's snake costume in Murphy's Firebird

• The gorgeous ball dresses of any of the guests at Chez Maximes in The Merry Widow

• The v simple women's costumes in Symphonic Variations

And I forgot. The swans' costumes in Antony Dowell's Swan Lake. Actually reminiscent of swans!

• Like 2

Are we restricted to female costumes?  Only I think Lila di Nobile's costume for the prince in Sleeping Beauty (2nd Act) is a huge improvement on the usual white/silver/gold combo which is rarely flattering.  Frankly, many  male costumes look like oversized Quality Street chocolates.

Linda

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, loveclassics said:

Only I think Lila di Nobile's costume for the prince in Sleeping Beauty (2nd Act) is a huge improvement on the usual white/silver/gold combo which is rarely flattering.  Frankly, many  male costumes look like oversized Quality Street chocolates.

Is this the one you mean? I've always admired it, though that might be partly attributable to this particular wearer!

• Like 1

Yes, that's the one but the the only time I've seen it was in the Awakening pdd during the all-Ashton programme.  I wish they would revive some of the other pieces too - particularly Daphis & Chloe - but that's for a different thread.

Linda

• Like 1

On 14/05/2018 at 14:13, penelopesimpson said:

How about worst costumes while we're at it?

I'll nominate Macrae's grey underpants in the recent Twyla Tharp.

Prize for most fuss about nothing goes to Erdem.

the worst costume ever was at my dancing competition in Toronto, my aunt told me she would make me one "amazing constume" i was so excited that i dint care much about the procces of making , but when i saw the result i was shocked, as it was not that i was expecting at all, though my aunt asked me few details upwards. Anyway, that costume made me feel uncomfortable..

I would love wear the following dresses: 

Aston's La Valse: Any of them!

The Golden Age,: The black flapper style dress in the Nigh Club Scene. 

Onegin: Tatania's Red dress 

Macmillan Romeo and Juliet: Juliet's dress in the ballroom scene. 

Nutcracker: Rose Fairy Tutu!

7b729f6f09ee536d32d7ec89d411f9f9.jpg

• Like 1

Wasn't always a big fan of Karinska costumes but the Rubies dresses are perfect: cute, flirty, if you lengthen it by a little you totally have a cute red cocktail dress.

rubies-thmb.jpg

Love the fairy costumes in Ashton's Dream:

jp-dream-fairies_1000.jpg

And for "simple" dresses I love Swanilda's first act dress in the Bolshoi Coppelia:

dy-coppelia-nina-kaptsova-point-corps_10

• Like 3

On 14/05/2018 at 21:45, loveclassics said:

I love Ondines's floaty sea-green outfit - would make a lovely nightie and negligee (sorry, don't know how to do accented e).  And Palemon's bride has a gorgeous gold gown - very glam.

Linda

That Ondine costume was beautiful - saw Fonteyn dance in it - definitely one of my favourites too

• Like 1