Hi all

Looking for recommendations for a quick bite to eat before the Proms - something I've always struggled with.  Occasionally treat ourselves to a cocktail and sandwich downstairs in the Albert Hall but can't sustain that for everyday living!

Similarly the Barbican.  I like the pancake house but I'm sure there are better (and cheaper) places in the area - but my knowledge of that bit of London is not good.

Membership valid for one year (or possibly from the start of each Proms season, to judge by my card).

Best bet for the Proms might well be to bus along to Kensington High Street - there are a number of chain restaurants in the area, including Cote.  There's a Comptoir Libanais near South Kensington station, but I've never been there, as I'm usually Promming, so eat sandwiches or salad beforehand.  There's also a Paul, which I think has eating space upstairs.  

I'm very out of practice at the Barbican (which of course has its own eateries).  There's a Cote at the end of the Beech Street tunnel, and a Pizza Express at St Alban's Gate, I think it is.  You say there's a pancake house?  I didn't know that.  I'm wondering what eateries there are down Cowcross Street, if that's the right place I'm thinking of.  There's an EAT somewhere in the Silk Street region if you want sandwiches etc.

Wow this is a trick I've missed.  Where do you get a card?

I think the pancake place I'm thinking of is the Beech Street Cafe, which does a crepe and coffee deal.  Very good for people watching.

We are going to venture down Cowcross street next visit and the end of the month, I'll report back!

• John Mallinson changed the title to Where to Eat before the Proms
22 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

Similarly the Barbican.  I like the pancake house but I'm sure there are better (and cheaper) places in the area - but my knowledge of that bit of London is not good.

Baracca is very close to the Barbican.  

http://www.baraccarestaurant.co.uk/

2C Cherry Tree Walk, London EC1Y 8NX

Here's a map, showing where it is:

http://www.baraccarestaurant.co.uk/where-to-find-us/

It's not particularly cheap but, for a family run restaurant serving traditional Italian dishes, it's quite good value.

http://www.baraccarestaurant.co.uk/menu/

Unfortunately it's only open Monday to Friday

Edited by Bluebird

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 19:17, meadowblythe said:

Wow this is a trick I've missed.  Where do you get a card?

You go into Imperial College bar/restaurant on the ground floor of Beit Hall (next to the RAH) and ask for one at the bar.  I seem to recall you have to show photo ID (even if you don't look under 18).  I have a feeling also that once you've paid £2 for the year, they then let you renew the next year for £1, though that may have changed - I haven't been to the Proms regularly for a few years.

My other favourite cheap place if I'm walking up from South Kensington tube is the Oriental Canteen on Thurloe Place - the cheap Chinese on the corner with the red awning.  You'll get a big plate of something with rice or noodles for about £6, a soft drink for about £1, and very fast service.

On 10/05/2018 at 14:36, RuthE said:

I seem to recall you have to show photo ID (even if you don't look under 18).  I have a feeling also that once you've paid £2 for the year, they then let you renew the next year for £1, though that may have changed - I haven't been to the Proms regularly for a few years.

No to the former, yes to the latter.

• 1 month later...

I was walking from South Kensington tube up to the Royal College of Music a couple of days ago and there seems to be a new bar/restaurant on the premises which used to be Hugo's some years ago.  Its website looks a bit sketchy at the moment about what they actually sell, but hopefully it'll provide another convenient option in the Royal Albert Hall area.

https://www.berlininkensington.stein-s.com/

• Like 1