Jump to content
Naomi M

Bolshoi Ballet London Tour Summer 2019

Recommended Posts

Could it be partly that the change has been made precisely because the RB have just done Bayadere?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, alison said:

Could it be partly that the change has been made precisely because the RB have just done Bayadere?

 

If that were the case it would be illogical to put Don Q in as one of the replacements...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always think of Don Q as home turf for the Bolshoi whereas Bayadere is the Mariinsky's, so the change actually makes a lot of sense to me. I know that some will be disappointed though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I am one of the very disappointed ones - missing 32 shades and I think 3 ramps plus all the excitement of the drum dance and Manu. Yet more Swans - couldn't they have brought Giselle or Paquita? Well I won't be seeing too much I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I am delighted that DonQ will return my purse is not as I was only going to have gone to Spartacus and Bright Stream, now I have to add in DonQ!  That said It is annoying Bright Stream is on in the week rather than weekend and that they no longer do a Wednesday or Thursday matinee like they did yonks ago.  Oh well, we'll see nearer the time anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the Hochhausers have had second thoughts in the wake of the certain amount of fuss stirred up by the RB's recent showing of La Bayadere.

 

But, if so, it's a little strange that they have gone for even more Swan Lakes. As a friend said to me last night, "What about the RSPB?"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I always think of Don Q as home turf for the Bolshoi whereas Bayadere is the Mariinsky's, so the change actually makes a lot of sense to me. I know that some will be disappointed though.

 

The last Bolshoi Don Q was pretty poor - or the evening that I saw it was, with Smirnova totally miscast as Kitri and no chemistry whatsoever with Rodkin. Compare that with the electrifying Shrew with Krysanova and Lantratov.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, capybara said:

Maybe the Hochhausers have had second thoughts in the wake of the certain amount of fuss stirred up by the RB's recent showing of La Bayadere.

 

But, if so, it's a little strange that they have gone for even more Swan Lakes. As a friend said to me last night, "What about the RSPB?"

 

I think it might well be more the fact that the Hochhausers' saw that neither the Bolshoi Bayadere nor Taming of the Shrew sold particularly well at La Scala during a recent visit.  Indeed - and unusually - I understand they were papering the house at times.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks to be the most unadventurous programming any Russian Company has done for years and strengthens my belief that the Hochhausers are not as personally involved in programme planning as they used to be and that the 'money making' , programmers (so familiar to all of us these days, alas) have had a large say in the programme. As I've said previously the Hochhausers used to present a balanced programme between previously seen, new to the UK, and popular audience pleasers such as Swan Lake. There was usually some sort of mixed bill as well. This programme doesn't bring us anything we haven't seen before (though Bright Stream hasn't been seen for about 10 years) and no mixed bill. If they do Swan Lake it usually is performed twice so no surprises there. Though a bit surprising to see Spartacus performed twice. is it really that popular? I suppose the politically correct brigade might have played a part in rejecting Shrew and Bayadere but if so that's a shame. it's just a form of censorship. It may also to do with the fact neither sold well at la Scala but can you judge the sales of one opera house with another? Russian companies usually sell well in London almost regardless of what they do (though very modern mixed bills might struggle). So for me it might be a cheap (ish) summer just seeing Bright Stream and perhaps a Don Q.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree about the unambitious program - and I think Bright Stream was last seen in 2010 - that fabulous season. I didn't see it then so keen to see it this time. I am not sure Spartacus is that popular but I suppose we will find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't track down the booking dates for this Bolshoi season - can anyone point me in the right direction, please? There doesn't seem to be any mention of it on the ROH website, I don't think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, simonbfisher said:

I can't track down the booking dates for this Bolshoi season - can anyone point me in the right direction, please? There doesn't seem to be any mention of it on the ROH website, I don't think.

 

In the past the Bolshoi/Mariinsky season booking dates have been the same as those for the Summer ROH season. If you go to the following link, you'll find the dates for public booking as well as those for the various levels of Friends of CG.

http://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2018-19/summer

Edited by Bluebird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add that the Hochhausers have at least once arranged for priority booking (not sooner than Friends but earlier than general booking) for people on their mailing list, so it might be worth signing up for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, both! ...  I also remember a slightly earlier booking date for the last Bolshoi season than the various Friends/General dates on the ROH site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, simonbfisher said:

Thank you, both! ...  I also remember a slightly earlier booking date for the last Bolshoi season than the various Friends/General dates on the ROH site. 

 

You might be thinking of the booking date for members of the Hochhauser mailing list (edit to add that this was referred to above by Lizbie1). This usually comes shortly before Public Booking.  I'm pretty sure there's never been a booking date which is earlier than that for the Friends' booking.

 

 

Edited by Bluebird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to recall the Daily Telegraph having some sort of priority booking, too, but whether that's still the case I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never expected to be disappointed in the program of a Bolshoi tour. This one is so boring having seen all of these a couple of times already. I don't like Spartacus, find Swan Lake a tad boring, so it's down to DQ or the Bright Stream - having seen Filin several times in both of them I find casting crucial - wonder if there are any clues who might be casted..... :rolleyes::(

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only 2 performances of Bright Stream, no matinees and mid week as well. Such a disappointing programme; only 4 ballets instead of the usual 5 and no 'new to London' ballets. I wonder if they're trying to save money on transporting sets/costumes etc. I would love to have seen Marco Spada, the Taming of the Shrew that was cancelled or even Esmerelda. Oh well it'll be a cheap summer and more to spend on RB performances!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Only 2 performances of Bright Stream, no matinees and mid week as well. Such a disappointing programme; only 4 ballets instead of the usual 5 and no 'new to London' ballets. I wonder if they're trying to save money on transporting sets/costumes etc. I would love to have seen Marco Spada, the Taming of the Shrew that was cancelled or even Esmerelda. Oh well it'll be a cheap summer and more to spend on RB performances!

 

Joan, I agree with much of what you say - and am genuinely grateful for the two Ratmansky performances.  There is part of me that believes this will mark the end of an era of the semi-regular Russian visits that we had once become accustomed to for the foreseeable future.  The world and the Companies themselves have changed; some might say 'moved on'.  Xander Parish more or less suggested such in his last LBC interview.  We can (being of a certain vintage) at least keep our memories of a cherished past.  I only hope that someone takes a broader scope in terms of bringing a wider range of balletic influences to London but I fear the time for that audience/producer development has perhaps now passed as well.  So much now appears to turn inward within our cherished isle.  Still - speaking positively - there is, of course, so much to celebrate nationally.  Truly.  To get an accurate international balletic perspective it is I fear more important now than ever to travel.  The cinema broadcasts are, of course, an important but even now limited asset.  Those broadcasts themselves are only a drop in a diminishing (true) but still substantial world bucket.  

 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

To get an accurate international balletic perspective it is I fear more important now than ever to travel. 

 

................... which, unfortunately, not everyone is able to do.

 

Travelling within the UK is important too if one is not to become overly focused on the RB. But, again, that is not possible for everyone.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be disappointing if the Russians stopped coming or only brought Swan Lakes in future years but with the Bolshoi and SFB visiting this summer, a glorious (well, I assume they will be) run of ENB Swans and Manons coming up and scheduled London residences for Ballet Black, ENB, BRB, NB and other visitors at Sadlers, I don't feel I'd have much time to squish in performances outside of London even if I had a larger budget. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, capybara said:

 

................... which, unfortunately, not everyone is able to do.

 

Travelling within the UK is important too if one is not to become overly focused on the RB. But, again, that is not possible for everyone.

 

I hear you, Capybara.   I am fortunate myself to be able to travel for work.  

 

That said I often feel - for this current moment at any rate - that you can often travel abroad to continental Europe for less than you can sometimes take a train up north in the UK.  Moreover, sometimes the balletic ticket/seat prices themselves are also less expensive.  Sometimes considerably so.   As with everything else it is a matter of priorities and we all, as a matter of course, have our own individual thresholds.  Thank heavens.  

 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only priorities, but also personal circumstances.  Not everyone is able to "down tools" and just nip across to the continent at will.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few casting intentions in the ROH Friends magazine just out:

 

Spartacus: Denis Rodkin

Swan Lake: Svetlana Zakharova, Alexander Volchkov

Don Q: Olga Smirnova

Bright Stream: Irina Yatsenko, Denis Savin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

There are a few casting intentions in the ROH Friends magazine just out:

 

Spartacus: Denis Rodkin

Swan Lake: Svetlana Zakharova, Alexander Volchkov

Don Q: Olga Smirnova

Bright Stream: Irina Yatsenko, Denis Savin

 

I read this as being the dancers in the pictures but they will doubtless feature,  as you say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, capybara said:

 

I read this as being the dancers in the pictures but they will doubtless feature,  as you say.

 

You’re probably right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those wanting to see the Bolshoi Bayadere may of course have the option of seeing it in the cinema next Sunday, 20th January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×