Bolshoi Ballet London Tour Summer 2019

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so for this, Naomi.  So lovely to see that the glorious memory of Maximova on her 80th Anniversary is honoured with both a gala and an exhibition and the Balanchine and Petit anniversaries (115th and 95th respectively) are honoured with both a production and a dedicated exhibition.  

It seems a request for the NUREYEV ballet has been made for the London tour - but the size of it may simply make such unfeasible.  Ref: http://tass.com/society/1002783

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Jane S said:

I wonder if they'll bring Winter's Tale to London? That would be interesting.

I trust not. I sense that London audiences might be grateful for a bit of a rest from WT next year.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

the Balanchine and Petit anniversaries (115th and 95th respectively) are honoured with both a production and a dedicated exhibition.  

I always think "anniversaries" should be significant numbers, ie 100, 150, etc. If we consider a "95th anniversary" worth marking, then we're doing  "anniversaries" every 5 years....

Nice to have productions and exhibitions, of course.

• Like 9

Probably blame translation software which doesn't recognise that the letters after dates aren't always the same?  One (very minor) reason for using a human translator who speaks the language being translated into :)

• Like 2

About the typo, probably just someone forgetting to change the letters after an update of the brochure from last year. A very common human error.

even google Translate would know this, which is actually very sophisticated these days.

however the link seems to not work when I last checked :(

Have slightly mixed feelings about the Bolshoi tour which is pretty amazing for me as I used to think the Russian companies the best in the world. It was seeing the Kirov (as it was then) in Manchester and Birmingham in 1990 that really started my huge enthusiasm for ballet and throughout the 1990s this excitement with them continued mainly because of dancers like Altynai Asylnuratova, Igor Zelensky and Faroukh Ruzimatov (remember his glittery hairnet when he was Solor?) and the sublime conducting of Viktor Fedotov. Then in 1999 the Hochhausers had a big Bolshoi season at the Coliseum and I was introduced to new dancers; Sergei Filin, Nina Anashiavilli and Svetlana Lunkina. Gradually I grew to prefer the Bolshoi, helped by ballets like Bright Stream and Pharoah's daughter, culminating in the arrival of Osipova as an amazing Kitri in 2005 and then that fabulous season at the Coliseum in 2006 (or 7?) when she debuted Don Q with Vasiliev and Acosta debuted Spartacus. A wonderful sellout season and not a Tchaikovsky ballet in sight! More recently there have been wonderful performances by Lantratov, Krysanova and Tikhamarova. However, now I find their rep. a bit dated and lacking in emotional challenges when compared to the RB. I was watching a dvd of Flames of Paris recently and though I love the ballet and the performances when it had finished I put on Winters tale and thought that's better; some meaty emotion to get my teeth into. The ballet as a whole isn't a huge favourite but I think my tastes have changed and I now prefer to be more challenged when watching and not just enjoy the technical spectacle and fireworks of ballets like Flames, Don Q and Corsaire. Also this coming year looks like being hugely expensive at the ROH and I don't know how much more I'll be able to afford in the summer. That said I will have a 'wish list' which will include

Bright Stream

Pharoah's daughter

Marco Spada

Possibly the new Nureyev though I don't know that much about it to say I'd definitely like to see it.

Taming of the Shrew (I know they did it last time but I didn't see it thinking I wouldn't like it then saw it at the cinema and loved it)

Definitely not

Don Q

Flames of Paris

Bayadere

Swan lake

as we have (or will have by then) seen these comparatively recently with the Bolshoi themselves or the Mariinsky and RB

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

That said I will have a 'wish list' which will include

Bright Stream

Pharoah's daughter

Marco Spada

Possibly the new Nureyev though I don't know that much about it to say I'd definitely like to see it.

Taming of the Shrew (I know they did it last time but I didn't see it thinking I wouldn't like it then saw it at the cinema and loved it)

Definitely not

Don Q

Flames of Paris

Bayadere

Swan lake

I'd love to see Bright Stream again, and the Pharoah's Daughter is one I've always managed to miss somehow. I also wouldn't be averse to seeing Spartacus again, though I might be fussy about casting.

I disagree about Don Q: I always think of it as "the Bolshoi Petipa" and, quite apart from wanting to see them above any other company perform it, I see it as a test of the their temperature and health. But maybe that's just me :)

As for casting, I hope that Vaziev doesn't intend to push his less experienced dancers into roles they aren't yet ready for: there's a time and a place for that and I don't think the biggest tour in the calendar is it. Personally I'll be praying for what would probably be last flings from Kaptsova, Alexandrova and Shipulina, who gave me so much pleasure in my Moscow years. I'd love the opportunity to pay my respects one last time :)

• Like 1

Lizbie1 hopes that less experienced dancers are not selected for the London tour. Seems to me very likely that they may be for Brisbane.  Whatever, I'm a newbie. Who would you like to see if you were in the Brisbane audience? Experienced or otherwise?

It's interesting that, when the British companies go on tour, the expectation of the promoters is that they will field 'big names'. This even results in guests being brought in (e.g. Cojocaru with BRB in Japan). The cinema relays are somewhat similar. However, the two main Russian companies have always been prone to cast their up and coming talent on tour with somewhat mixed outcomes - e.g. (a long time ago) Veronica Part in Swan Lake on the opening night of a Kirov season; (two years ago) Margarita Shrainer as Kitri with the Bolshoi at the ROH and as Jeanne  in Flames of Paris (for the recent cinema relay).

jmb - Spartacus and Jewels will give you the opportunity to see a wonderful range of Bolshoi dancers of various ranks and, rather contrary to what I have just said,  I would hope for the very young and exceptionally talented  Kovalyova in Diamonds.

• Like 1

Naomi - thank you so much for the advance warning.

No holidays for me then next year between 25 July and 19 August! I would have gone on a short holiday to Riga, Latvia where the Bolshoi will performing later this year (October), but they are only doing a couple of performances of Taming of the Shrew.

My preferences for 2019 are Spartacus and La Corsaire - but lest see what happens.

• Like 1

I've got mixed feelings about the fact they may cast more inexperienced dancers next summer ......as a young man from Lewes in Sussex will still hopefully be dancing with them ( started contract last September straight from Vaganova school) and in Moscow he has ALREADY  had the opportunity to dance the Bluebird pas de deux and a pas de trois section from Le Corsaire!

Of course I want to see the Pricipal dancers but would love to see him given some little something out of the corps.

I don't mind what they bring that much.....though definitely NOT Swan Lake perhaps....and I haven't  seen Spartacus in years so wouldn't mind that or if one of the big classics perhaps Le Corsaire this time. 

Also Ive never seen The Bright Stream so this would be good.

Id love the Nureyev piece to come but don't hold out much hope for that unfortunately for all sorts of reasons. 

It seems an awful long way away though 🙁

I'm afraid I'm less than enthusiastic, primarily because I don't care much for those dancers currently in favour.  Alexandrova and Kaptsova have both been demoted, of the female principals only Krysanova and Obraztsova are real ballerinas, though there are better dancers further down the rankings.

Pointless to create a wish list of ballets, the Hochhausers choose what sells the best, there are no other considerations.  Personally I'm disappointed we're not getting the Mariinsky next year.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be keen on debuts by relatively inexperienced dancer, young dancers deserve the support of their (hopefully kind) home crowd for a first outing anyhow. Apart from that anything goes and I will undoubtedly end up booking Swanlakes as well - if they don't bring any, I'd be seriously surprised.

• Like 2

The young man in question above has just posted about his debut in the pas de trois in Emeralds from Balanchines Jewels which he very much seems to have enjoyed doing. 

I got the ballet wrong before as he was in the pas de trois from La Bayadere not Le Corsaire as I originally said. But I'd still rather see Le Corsaire than Bayadere this particular year. We shall see what we shall see. 

It is the Bolshoi's "turn" next year as neither Company is coming this year unfortunately. I would love to have seen them this year but on the other hand the young dancer above will be an old hand by next year the way things seem to be currently going!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LinMM said:

The young man in question above has just posted about his debut in the pas de trois in Emeralds from Balanchines Jewels which he very much seems to have enjoyed doing. 

As he is no longer a student, please can we name him now? I think that everyone on here will be interested in following his progress.

• Like 1

Okay his name is Oscar Frame. 

The reason I have hesitated to name him is that his mum sometimes writes on the Forum ....but more in the Doing Dance section when Oscar was training etc.

As it happens she is not a major ballet fan.....though whether that is changing am not sure! So may not go to the ballet that often....except to see Oscar of course!

He has posted his casting with his name in Russian script etc  in Russian in the pas de trois but I don't know how to post it here and some piccies of course but would always feel I had to ask someone I know slightly more personally if I could post here....even if I knew how ...as they are on his Facebook page. I am not sure of the protocol of this. I can ask him of course and then if he says okay I will find out how to do it!!

Oscar already has a fan following in London since dancing in Fairy Doll with the Vaganova students at last year's Russian Icons.  I happen to know his former teacher in St Pete's and he rated Oscar very highly indeed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Okay his name is Oscar Frame. 

The reason I have hesitated to name him is that his mum sometimes writes on the Forum ....but more in the Doing Dance section when Oscar was training etc.

Dear LinMM,
Oscar’s Mum was regularly writing, with a well founded pride, about her son’s progress at Vaganova Academy. He is an adult now and a member of a great ballet company. Just type his name in the browser and you will see full pages of links to websites with information on his work, his plans, his photos, etc. There was no need to hide his name from the ballet lovers’ Forum.
Here is Oscar Frame on the Bolshoi’s website:

https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/persons/ballet/all/

https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/persons/ballet/111111/
We saw him at the Coliseum last year when Nikolai Tsiskaridze brought his senior students to perform a divertissement from "The Fairy Doll”. Oscar was lovely as one of two Pierrots:

http://dancetabs.com/2017/03/russian-ballet-icons-gala-in-the-steps-of-the-ballets-russes-london/
Here is an Interview Q&A WITH OSCAR FRAME:

https://melmoth.co/2017/09/10/qa-with-oscar-frame/
On his Facebook Oscar displayed photos of himself dancing and with his friends and teachers: https://www.facebook.com/frameski
I like his caption under a photo of himself with a friend in Highland dress: “My colleague and friend for the entire life. The great Egor Gerashchenko."
Oscar Frame is a talented young dancer and I will try to follow his career.

Edited by Amelia
to change layout
  • Like 3

I know most of this as I've known him since he was fourteen!! And always knew he was going places from the very first time I saw him in class. Just had that something you can't quite explain. This is because I attended the same class as him with Judy Breen in Brighton. But Thankyou for putting the above info out here!!

But I nearly messed things up last year when he was offered so many contracts and had congratulated him on Facebook etc before it was commonly known but hadn't realised at the time the sensitive nature of his decision of which Company to join ( his original dream had been the Mariinsky) so I can see now that joining the Bolshoi was a huge decision for him. 

Im sure he wouldn't mind pictures he has posted publicly already being posted here but I still feel I would have to ask him if I was to do it myself!! 

I can just see him in that Nureyev role too!!

I also saw him in the Fairy Dolls in St Petersburg and at the Coli!! 

Theres a very funny story of seeing him perform  in St Petersburg in fact!

Myself and four other dancing friends ( who were there for a Dance Festival) met up with him at Vaganova the day before and Oscar in his usual unassuming and laid back way just said come along tomorrow at 10.30am and there will be a lady with short dark hair. She will have some tickets and even if it's sold out you can usually find a seat!!!! just go over and mention my name. He said if he could he would try and meet us but may be getting into costume and make up by then etc. 

So we duly turned up ...eventually worked out the lady he meant. She just said come with me .....we duly left our coats etc...then she said as we waited patiently for the tickets. Well now I don not have any tickets you just go in and find a seat! 

Well as it was mostly friends and family etc we assumed it was sort of un-ticketed a sort of first come first served basis.

so when the doors opened we dashed in and couldn't believe our luck right in the front rows of the stalls at THE Mariinsky theatre....what joy!! 

Anyway we had taken quite a few photos of us luxuriating in this happy position when about five minutes before it was due to begin a whole load of people turned up ......with tickets!!

so then we were really on the hunt and initially another kind lady helped us and said run up to the next level see what you can find!! Well that turned out to be full so it was up to the next level  .....and then the next.....and then literally as it was starting we found some places with a good view of the stage too ....but we're still dreading some latecomers might suddenly appear!! But we had made it and put it down to what seemed to be turning out for us whilst in St Petersburg as another "typically Russian" experience!!

It was so exciting to see Oscar in one of his first roles on the Marriinsky stage( this was the old theatre) and Fairy Dolls is a delightful little ballet lovely for children too. We cheered so much at the end and were all waving rather hysterically that he noticed us and stepped back and blew a balletic kiss from the stage ....all in character of course ...and one of our group has a lovely  piccie of this moment captured by accident really. What an experience .We came out and it was snowing...so perfect ending really!!

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

The repertory for the 2019 Bolshoi sojourn in London has been announced.  There is sadly no 'Nureyev' as had - it appeared - previously been suggested.  Indeed there is no work that has not previously been seen in the British capital this time round which I must confess to finding rather sad.

From the 243rd season brochure https://www.bolshoi.ru/upload/medialibrary/2d3/2d3b709c85217d27ef6400752121b333.pdf

THE BOLSHOI THEATRE BALLET AND ORCHESTRA IN LONDON (Great Britain)
25 JULY – 17 AUGUST 2019 ROYAL OPERA HOUSE

REPERTORY:  Spartacus, Swan Lake, La Bayadere, The Bright Stream, Taming of the Shrew

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

Well I've never seen The Bright Stream ....so at least one new one and it's a VERY long time since I've seen Spartacus so that's good too!!

However I was hoping they would bring Raymonda instead of Bayadere ( especially as I know Oscar had a proper role in this in Moscow very recently!) 

Still looking forward to visit but it is sad no Nureyev I agree.

• Like 2