RAD Ballet - exam results for graded exams

BalletBelle

I did a presentation class for grade 7 as a teenager. I wasn't ready for the exam but my teacher knew I only had one year at school left and wanted me to have a go at grade 8 but also wanted me to have something to show for my hard work an effort I'd put in to learning the grade 7 syllabus even if I wasn't very good technique-wise. It's never nice knowing you're not great at something but I knew what level I was dancing at and well aware I'd feel better with a presentation class certificate than the possibility of failing if I took the exam.

I thinking ballet should be available to everyone, regardless of their ability and teachers who don't let pupils who are "only" getting a pass take exams is more damaging to their confidence than taking the exam and getting a lower mark than their peers. In general, I think all pupils know how good they are in comparison to the rest of the class and I've never had a problem with results being posted publicly - we'd all ask each other for our mark breakdowns as well and compare how well we'd done in each section.

• Like 3

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, we are all different and react differently to things. Personally I would only consider doing a presentation class if I regarded it as a stepping stone "in preparation" for the full exam, never ever "instead of" and move up anyway without doing the exam (which would not preclude me from attending the grade above in addition to the existing one). I would feel that I had failed f I was not good enough to do the exam, and so would choose to remain in the same grade as long as it took.

Indeed I do not regard "keeping the whole cohort together" as a desirable objective, because it usually comes at the expense of depriving the weaker candidates of the chance to ultimately take the exam at a later stage. Rather I would expect to see a very wide age range in the higher grade classes, as some would be ready to move up after a few months and others would need to spend 2-3 years in the same grade.

Edited by youngatheart
  • Like 1

On 18/05/2018 at 14:48, youngatheart said:

Indeed I do not regard "keeping the whole cohort together" as a desirable objective, because it usually comes at the expense of depriving the weaker candidates of the chance to ultimately take the exam at a later stage. Rather I would expect to see a very wide age range in the higher grade classes, as some would be ready to move up after a few months and others would need to spend 2-3 years in the same grade.

I agree, my DD was the youngest in her year group when she started ballet. Gradually over the years if she had remained within the same cohort she would not be where she is. She proved her worth in exam results attendance and ability and was suitably rewarded by being put forward for exams when she was ready. Separate from the others. Resulting in Grade 6 last June, Grade 7 Dec, Grade 8 just two days before Intermediate in early June this year. 🙆‍♀️

• Like 1

On 19/05/2018 at 17:07, Vonrothbart said:

Forgive me BB, as I'm not with you when you say your DD wouldn't be where she is. Do you mean grade wise, as I'm not sure what difference it makes whether you're a year or so in front, or  behind?

Hi. My DD wouldn’t be where she is now. As in heading off to Vocational School in Sept.  Her age group are just about to take Grade 6. Whilst my DD will be taking her Grade 8/Intermediate next month. Her teacher fortunately saw the potential and decided to take the unusual step and encourage my DD to take each exam over a shorter period of time. Focusing on abilities rather than her physical age. 😊

Edited by balletbean

1 minute ago, Vonrothbart said:

Yes but why would exam results make any difference to gaining a place at vocational school? What is her age group BB?

A lot of application forms for vocational training ask for the most recent exam results, and although the audition is certainly the decider, a strong exam result, along with other good CV items to make a dancer stand out, might be a factor in securing the attention of the panel. 

• Like 1

If a child is applying for vocational school aged 11 then the audition class will be very simple & all about potential. 

If if they are applying older such as age 14 (going into year 10) or 16 then they will be expected to be at a certain standard. My dd found that most auditions for 16 plus courses were pitched around Intermediate level. If an audition class is the first time you’ve ever come across a particular step or technique you aren’t going to able to perform it confidently. 

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Vonrothbart said:

Yes but why would exam results make any difference to gaining a place at vocational school? What is her age group BB?

My DD is 15 (turns 16 in July). As some others have already mentioned, SS courses for the 15/16 age group tend to base their classes on Adv 1 grade.  

Application forms seem to consistently request Int Foun for the younger age then Adv 1 but appear to lose the Intermediate in the middle for the 14 yr olds. It can be challenging to know which box to tick, age or grade. 

However the auditions for US appear to be based more at Intermediate level . Knowledge at that Grade and execellent technique will be expected and makes for a more confident DC on the day. Familiar exercises and phrases will go some way to allow the DC to showcase their abilities to their best rather than focusing too much on unfamiliar work. Which does nothing for the nerves........☺️