Split sole or full sole shoes for Junior associate auditions ??

Selby1974

Hi this is my first post. This may seem like a stupid question but my daughter is in year 3 and will be auditioning for both Royal ballet junior associates and elmhurst this year. She wears leather full soles in her normals classes and satin split soles for her festivals. Any advice on which shoes she should wear ?? What did your dd’s wear ?? Thank you in advance xx

10 minutes ago, Selby1974 said:

Hi this is my first post. This may seem like a stupid question but my daughter is in year 3 and will be auditioning for both Royal ballet junior associates and elmhurst this year. She wears leather full soles in her normals classes and satin split soles for her festivals. Any advice on which shoes she should wear ?? What did your dd’s wear ?? Thank you in advance xx

My dd is an Elmhurst JA. Their uniform is pink full sole stretch satin ballet shoes - I would go full sole. 

I honestly don't think it matters a jot. They're more interested in what the feet look like without anything on at all than they are in what's covering them. Perhaps just make sure that whichever shoes she wears aren't too smelly as they have to take them off!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, shygirlsmum said:

I can’t remember what DD auditioned in but for RB MA’s (never tried JS’s) she was asked to wear full sole with one elastic for class, I don’t know if it was simply teacher preference but cross over elastic was a no no.

Yes, one single elastic is preferable, shoes tights and elastics all the same colour if possible. All about appearing as long legged as possible. 

Shoes that that fit well and show off the arch, nothing shiny for RBS. Audition feedback on satin shoes is not favourable! 

It’s all about appearing exquisite... Choose between exquisiteness or getting through the whole process with your sanity intact. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect to achieve both!

Leather full sole single elastic ballet shoes were worn for JAs when my DD was there so that would be my recommendation if you have them.My DD also auditioned in Year 3 age 7 and we had a wonderful day out.Enjoy the experience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Piccolo said:

shoes tights and elastics all the same colour if possible.

The RBS email says no tights, pink or white socks only. Tbh it just says wear their normal ballet kit and have an enjoyable lesson 😊! After all they’re only little, and most of them won’t get in, so having a nice day is surely most important? RBS will be able to see what they need to see regardless of outfit, I would think? 

• Like 6

Yes my dd was in her old full sole satins, class leotard (but we put her on a contrasting colour belt) and socks. She also got a place. 

That was back in the good old days before I used to stress over colour of leotard etc! But in the end I suppose it doesn’t make a jot of difference! Xxx

• Like 1

I am sure that if the panel see a child who has the attributes they are looking for they would offer a place if they were wearing a bin bag. They may well prefer their students to wear a certain type of shoe, but I really can't imagine the panel members saying "Well number 24 had a perfect physique, flat turnout, incredible feet and amazing musicality but she wore satin shoes, so that's a no".

They are looking for children that they believe have the raw material to fit in with their method of training, not sartorial elegance.

• Like 15

My DD auditioned in her black, full sole leather shoes from her normal class and got a place. DD liked these as, according to her, it showed that she worked hard. :)

For the JA class, she wore ballet pink, full sole, leather shoes as per the JA uniform list. On the first day there however, the JA teacher announced to all us mums and dads that she was happy for them to wear ballet pink satin shoes.

x

• Like 2

When dd was JA in Manchester they wore full sole pink leather shoes (freed aspire were the preferred choice at the time!) but in the 3rd year they changed to satin full sole because of the floor being too sticky! 

Don’t know about other centres, but I would just go with what your dd normally wears for her own classes and then get what JA teachers want when they get a place!!

As for leotards again just their normal class leotard, but definitely no tights as shoes are taken off to look at feet! 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My DD auditioned 3 weeks ago in Totnes. I would say of the little girls in my daughters audition group (15 girls) there was a fairly even split between leather shoes and satin. I didn’t see any Canvas shoes. My DD wore her full sole leather shoes. Good luck to your DD. 

Mine auditioned today and wore satin with full leather soles (not split soles I mean). Didn't look at any of the other children as I dropped and ran, but my daughter would usually mention that kind of detail to me but hasn't said anything about ballet shoes. All she said was "It wasn't hard and it wasn't easy. They didn't give corrections."  Good luck xxx