Last month Duchy Ballet celebrated its 20th anniversary with a splendid performance of The Nutcracker with Sara Maria Barton of Ballet West as the "Sugar Rum Cherry" Next year, Chelmsford Ballet Company will celebrate its 70th anniversary. It will be a splendid affair if the 69th year performance of The Snow Queen is anything to go by.   I started to think that if two medium size communities in the South of England can produce such excellence then perhaps we in the North should have a go too.  I canvassed the idea with friends on Facebook and found lots of support and encouragement from dancers of all ages and abilities from all parts of the North.

We discussed how to get started.  We decided that one possible way forward might be to hold a free 90-minute class at a place  easily accessible by road or public transport from the M62 corridor and see who turns up.  Huddersfield is an obvious location as it is on the Trans-Pennine main line  with direct rail links to Barnsley, Bradford, Rothrham and Sheffield and it is close to the M62 and M1 motorways.    To attract good dancers the teacher would have to be well known on both sides of the Pennines.  I am glad to say that Jane Tucker of Northern Ballet, an excellent teacher who also teaches the intensive repertoire workshops for KNT in Manchester, has kindly agreed to give that first class. 

That class will tale place at Huddersfield Leisure Centre which is a short walk from the rail and bus stations on 26 May 2018 between 15:00 and 16:30.   Admission to the class is free but space is limited so attendees have to register in advance.  They can do so through Eventbrite at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/powerhouse-ballet-tickets-45023701102,  After the class a vote will be taken on a show of hands as to whether we want to form a ballet company in the North. If we decide to do so, 4 or 5 volunteers will be chosen for a steering committee to decide the legal format of the company, draw up a business plan, seek funding and eventually appoint an artistic director and ballet master or mistress.    If all goes well, we should be ready to stage our first production early in the New Year.

We hope to give opportunities to dancers of all ages and abilities from talented students at the leading ballet schools to kids who are learning the basics and everyone in between.    As we plan to hold a short business meeting immediately after the class and have not yet made any chaperoning arrangements, those attending that first class will have to be 18 or over  but one of the first prorities of the steering committee will be to arrange a class or audition for students below that age. 

We are looking not just for dancers but also for artists, costume and set designers, carpenters, musicians, stage crew, photographers, technicians, front of house managers and administrators.  In short, just about everyone with a skill, talent pr experience that can help us stage a show.

The provisional name of the project is "Powerhouse Ballet".   We have chosen that name partly because there is already a Northern Ballet and a Northern Ballet School and partly because we hope to attract dancers from he whole M62 corridor and points North and South.  We may well change that name to something more elegant if and when we get started.   

For those who want more information,  we have a website at http://www.powerhouseballet.co.uk/, a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/powerhouseballet/ and a twitter account at https://twitter.com/powerhousedball.   I have already written to the RAD Regional Manager for the North and the dance agencies for the Northwest and Yorkshire.  Over the next few weeks I shall write to every dance school in the region that I can find from the Hammond and Northern Ballet School downwards.   Should anyone have any questions he or she is welcome to contact me through BalletcoForum or the Powerhouse Ballet message form.

Edited by Terpsichore
  • Like 5

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Terpsichore said:

Last month Duchy Ballet celebrated its 20th anniversary with a splendid performance of The Nutcracker with Sara Maria Barton of Ballet West as the "Sugar Rum Cherry" Next year, Chelmsford Ballet Company will celebrate its 70th anniversary. It will be a splendid affair if the 69th year performance of The Snow Queen is anything to go by.   I started to think that if two medium size communities in the South of England can produce such excellence then perhaps we in the North should have a go too.  I canvassed the idea with friends on Facebook and found lots of support and encouragement from dancers of all ages and abilities from all parts of the North.

We discussed how to get started.  We decided that one possible way forward might be to hold a free 90-minute class at a place  easily accessible by road or public transport from the M62 corridor and see who turns up.  Huddersfield is an obvious location as it is on the Trans-Pennine main line  with direct rail links to Barnsley, Bradford, Rothrham and Sheffield and it is close to the M62 and M1 motorways.    To attract good dancers the teacher would have to be well known on both sides of the Pennines.  I am glad to say that Jane Tucker of Northern Ballet, an excellent teacher who also teaches the intensive repertoire workshops for KNT in Manchester, has kindly agreed to give that first class. 

That class will tale place at Huddersfield Leisure Centre which is a short walk from the rail and bus stations on 26 May 2018 between 15:00 and 16:30.   Admission to the class is free but space is limited so attendees have to register in advance.  They can do so through Eventbrite at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/powerhouse-ballet-tickets-45023701102,  After the class a vote will be taken on a show of hands as to whether we want to form a ballet company in the North. If we decide to do so, 4 or 5 volunteers will be chosen for a steering committee to decide the legal format of the company, draw up a business plan, seek funding and eventually appoint an artistic director and ballet master or mistress.    If all goes well, we should be ready to stage our first production early in the New Year.

We hope to give opportunities to dancers of all ages and abilities from talented students at the leading ballet schools to kids who are learning the basics and everyone in between.    As we plan to hold a short business meeting immediately after the class and have not yet made any chaperoning arrangements, those attending that first class will have to be 18 or over  but one of the first prorities of the steering committee will be to arrange a class or audition for students below that age. 

We are looking not just for dancers but also for artists, costume and set designers, carpenters, musicians, stage crew, photographers, technicians, front of house managers and administrators.  In short, just about everyone with a skill, talent pr experience that can help us stage a show.

The provisional name of the project is "Powerhouse Ballet".   We have chosen that name partly because there is already a Northern Ballet and a Northern Ballet School and partly because we hope to attract dancers from he whole M62 corridor and points North and South.  We may well change that name to something more elegant if and when we get started.   

For those who want more information,  we have a website at http://www.powerhouseballet.co.uk/, a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/powerhouseballet/ and a twitter account at https://twitter.com/powerhousedball.   I have already written to the RAD Regional Manager for the North and the dance agencies for the Northwest and Yorkshire.  Over the next few weeks I shall write to every dance school in the region that I can find from the Hammond and Northern Ballet School downwards.   Should anyone have any questions he or she is welcome to contact me through BalletcoForum or the Powerhouse Ballet message form.

I have one under 18 that would be interested if you open this out. Also my mum is a costume designer for theatres -  I will pass this onto her and if Dd was attending audition wise I would happily chaperone the audition. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dancertaxi said:

I have one under 18 that would be interested if you open this out. Also my mum is a costume designer for theatres -  I will pass this onto her and if Dd was attending audition wise I would happily chaperone the audition. 

Thanks. That's just the sort of help we need.   Let's keep in touch.

Hi there

This is a wonderful idea .

i have a theatre school in West Yorkshire and am a good friend of Jane Tucker .

Many of my students have gone on to vocational training at Royal , Elm. , Tring etc

my son is now in a company in Czech Republic .

Please keep me in the loop

regards

tutugirl

( Sara )

• Like 1

Would be keen to know of any one off worksops....am southern based but nothing much around me & London to expensive to manage. Regular trips up North for DD might just tie in with Powerhouse so you never know....great idea & good luck!!

This feels like a fabulous idea and I hope it gets off the ground. My Dd would be interested, I’m sure, but I question how supportive vocational schools will be in giving permission and allowing time out of schedules to participate. Have you had any responses to your contacting them yet? 

17 hours ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Maybe I could help, I have a dancing boy aged 11 but have experience of writing funding bids, setting up voluntary organisations, volunteer management and the third sector. We’re based in North Wales. 👍👍 xx

Many thanks for your offer of help. 

First, I wish your son every success in all his studies and activities.   If we manage to launch a company he will be very welcome to audition for its shows and participate in its activities.

I should be grateful for any advice you can give on writing funding bids setting up voluntary organizations and the third sector.

Folk in North Wales are our neighbours. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tutugirl said:

Hi there

This is a wonderful idea .

i have a theatre school in West Yorkshire and am a good friend of Jane Tucker .

Many of my students have gone on to vocational training at Royal , Elm. , Tring etc

my son is now in a company in Czech Republic .

Please keep me in the loop

regards

tutugirl

( Sara )

Thanks for your response, Sara.

As you must already know that Jane is an exceptional teacher, you may wish to bring her class on 26 May to the attention of any of your students or former students who are over the age of 18. They will be very welcome to attend but they must register in advance through Eventbrite.   

If we can launch the company and make suitable chaperoning arrangements we should hold a similar class for students below that age to be taught by Jane or some other fine teacher

I will update you here and on the Powerhouse Ballet website.   You may also get an email from me very soon.

16 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Would be keen to know of any one off worksops....am southern based but nothing much around me & London to expensive to manage. Regular trips up North for DD might just tie in with Powerhouse so you never know....great idea & good luck!!

Thank you so much for your encouragement and good wishes.   

If you live in the Southeast you may like to contact Chelmsford Ballet or Duchy Ballet if you are in the Southwest.

As for workshops, I strongly recommend KNT's in Manchester.

I have heard great things about Hannah Bateman's Ballet Retreat in Leeds and London.   Several of my contributors have attended that workshop and written about it in Terpsichore.

14 hours ago, Karen said:

This feels like a fabulous idea and I hope it gets off the ground. My Dd would be interested, I’m sure, but I question how supportive vocational schools will be in giving permission and allowing time out of schedules to participate. Have you had any responses to your contacting them yet? 

Thanks for your encouragement and best wishes, Karen.

I have only just written to the RAD, dance agencies, one of the local centres of advanced training and posted a note to BalletcoForum.

Several professional schools including at least one in the Northwest  have released their students to dance with Chelmsford, Duchy and the Bristol Russian Youth Companies and Martin Dutton of the Hammond seemed to think that his school would look favourably on the idea.

I will publish any responses I receive here and on the Powerhouse Ballet website.

1 hour ago, Terpsichore said:

Thanks for your response, Sara.

As you must already know that Jane is an exceptional teacher, you may wish to bring her class on 26 May to the attention of any of your students or former students who are over the age of 18. They will be very welcome to attend but they must register in advance through Eventbrite.   

If we can launch the company and make suitable chaperoning arrangements we should hold a similar class for students below that age to be taught by Jane or some other fine teacher

I will update you here and on the Powerhouse Ballet website.   You may also get an email from me very soon.

Students over school leaving age (so those who are 16/17 and in year 12 and above) do not need chaperoning for either classes, rehearsals or performances.  I see no reason why you cannot open your first class to those aged 16 and above.  My daughter often takes part in Open Adult classes during holdiday periods and she has never been chaperoned.  Under 16's do not need a chaperone to take part in classes but it would be best practice for the teacher to be DBS checked (or supervised by someone who is) and for the organisation to have a child protection policy.  They would of course need licensing and chaperoning for any performances but you'd have plenty of time to sort that. 

Whilst I think that many schools would be supportive in principal (and its great that Mr Dutton has indicated his support) as the parent of a child at the school who will enter seniors next year I think the issue is, particurlaly for the seniors that the timetable is so full and students are juggling A levels, classes, assessments and performances (all of which are assessed and formulated to meet the requirements of the Trinity Diploma) that it is difficult to make a regular commitment to anything other than "guest appearances".  Many of the students also have part time jobs at weekends as the majority will not get maintenance grants.  I'm not saying it won't happen but don't take it personally if it can't.

2 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Students over school leaving age (so those who are 16/17 and in year 12 and above) do not need chaperoning for either classes, rehearsals or performances.  I see no reason why you cannot open your first class to those aged 16 and above.  My daughter often takes part in Open Adult classes during holdiday periods and she has never been chaperoned.  Under 16's do not need a chaperone to take part in classes but it would be best practice for the teacher to be DBS checked (or supervised by someone who is) and for the organisation to have a child protection policy.  They would of course need licensing and chaperoning for any performances but you'd have plenty of time to sort that. 

Whilst I think that many schools would be supportive in principal (and its great that Mr Dutton has indicated his support) as the parent of a child at the school who will enter seniors next year I think the issue is, particurlaly for the seniors that the timetable is so full and students are juggling A levels, classes, assessments and performances (all of which are assessed and formulated to meet the requirements of the Trinity Diploma) that it is difficult to make a regular commitment to anything other than "guest appearances".  Many of the students also have part time jobs at weekends as the majority will not get maintenance grants.  I'm not saying it won't happen but don't take it personally if it can't.

Chaperoning is not the problem Picturesinthefirelight. 

Jane Tucker has already advised me that we can safely admit students over the age of 16. 

The reason we have to insist on persons of full contractual capacity for this first class is that we plan to hold a short business meeting with a view to forming a company and electing a steering committee immediately after the .class.

Martin Dutton was expressing a personal opinion and not speaking on behalf of his school.   The reason I had asked his opinion is that he had taught me on a couple of occasions.   We discussed the proposal briefly at the KNT Intensive on La Bayadere last week.   

I am writing to all the schools in the region about the proposal  as a matter of courtesy.   What if anything they want to do about it is another matter for another day but I am sure they would appreciate some reliable information from the horse's mouth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Could you not then simply ask under 18's to leave after the actual class, or observe the meeting but not be able to vote?

We thought of that and may still do that but the immediate priority is to gather as many potential company members as possible.

• Like 1

It may be a bit too far North for his students but you could try contacting Daniel Jones Dance as he holds regular adult classes and runs various community ballet projects for young people and adults in Staffordshire.  I know some of them are involved in things Manchester based, whether they would be able to commit to travelling further North I don't know.

4 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

It may be a bit too far North for his students but you could try contacting Daniel Jones Dance as he holds regular adult classes and runs various community ballet projects for young people and adults in Staffordshire.  I know some of them are involved in things Manchester based, whether they would be able to commit to travelling further North I don't know.

Many thanks. I will get in touch with them.

One of the participants in the first class lives in Birmingham which is even further than Staffs.

9 hours ago, Terpsichore said:

Thanks for your encouragement and best wishes, Karen.

I have only just written to the RAD, dance agencies, one of the local centres of advanced training and posted a note to BalletcoForum.

Several professional schools including at least one in the Northwest  have released their students to dance with Chelmsford, Duchy and the Bristol Russian Youth Companies and Martin Dutton of the Hammond seemed to think that his school would look favourably on the idea.

I will publish any responses I receive here and on the Powerhouse Ballet website.

I’m really pleased to hear this and I hope Martin Dutton’s personal views are supported by School. In my opinion, performance opportunities for vocational school students are limited to school related productions, and to have further opportunities would be great in many ways, although I concur with Pictures that days are already full. However, with liaison and goodwill between Schools and external organisations, I suspect more could be done. Look forward to hearing more about progress. 

17 hours ago, FullContretemps said:

This sounds potentially very exciting! Have you any plans as yet as to how often classes/rehearsals would be? Selby-based here... a bit of a trek so do-able every now and then but not weekly. Even if I can't be involved I shall watch with interest though! Long overdue I think :)

Thanks for your encouragement, FullContretemps.

A decision on the number of rehearsals will be taken by the artistic director, choreographer, ballet master or producer of the  show.

As for company classes. Chelmsford hold one class with a quest teacher on the first Sunday of every month every month except January and August (see https://www.thechelmsfordballetcompany.co.uk/company-classes/) .  We will probably do the same but, again, the decision will be the director's and much will depend on the facilities that we can use. Chelmsford have a lovely studio and store room which I described in "At Home with the Chelmsford Ballet" in Terpsichore on 8 Oct 2016.    The teacher who led me back to ballet has very kindly agreed to give one such class.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Less than three weeks to go before our inaugural class with Jane Tucker at Huddersfield Leisure Centre on 26 May 2018 at 15:00 and the studio is filling up.  If you want to come then please register in advance because there is security at the entrance and the management may not let you in if you just turn up.  If you have not yet registered, please click here.

If you have registered but find you can't now make it, never mind.  There will be other classes.  Just let me know in good time so that I can release your place to another dancer.

Whether you are coming to the class or not we need to think about how we are going to organize ourselves and there are two models for us to consider.   Chelmsford Ballet is a members' club and I have put a link to their constitution from our website. Duchy is a company limited by guarantee.  If you have any views one way or another do let me know,

Also, while our main purpose is to stage shows once a year we should think what else we want to do for the rest of the year.  Chelmsford has regular company classes with guest teachers - one of whom was our very own Cara O'Shea. I think we should do the same.  Note there is a huge difference between company class and adult ballet class as I found out last Monday in Scotland. Company class is fast.  You barely have time to think.

Another thing I think we should do is hold the occasional workshop or outing.   Chelsmford have organized a great one with Ballet Central.   

Let me know what you want folks.

• Like 2

Jane

Corporate structure wise I'd be  inclined to look at  company limited by guarantee  ( possibly  with  charity  registration as well at some point  depending on exact direction ) or the CIC  route   

company class  is  something  that  needs to be carefully considered  as,  at least  in the first few years  the majority of the dancers, will have an established relationship with another provider ( whether that is a local dance school  or   the community classes  run by AoNB  etc )  and   while  90 -120  minute commutes  are  do-able for  monthly class/ workshops   it's not something  people are necessarily going to be able to do on a weekly  basis    ( but  what about show  weeks   i hear the cry  from the peanut gallery? -  well people will likely be taking leave from work  and   staying  over   i suspect - exact logistics of that  to be  a matter for the individuals  )

1 hour ago, Nicola H said:

Jane

Corporate structure wise I'd be  inclined to look at  company limited by guarantee  ( possibly  with  charity  registration as well at some point  depending on exact direction ) or the CIC  route   

company class  is  something  that  needs to be carefully considered  as,  at least  in the first few years  the majority of the dancers, will have an established relationship with another provider ( whether that is a local dance school  or   the community classes  run by AoNB  etc )  and   while  90 -120  minute commutes  are  do-able for  monthly class/ workshops   it's not something  people are necessarily going to be able to do on a weekly  basis    ( but  what about show  weeks   i hear the cry  from the peanut gallery? -  well people will likely be taking leave from work  and   staying  over   i suspect - exact logistics of that  to be  a matter for the individuals  )

Thanks for your comments, Nicola.

I agree with you about the corporate structure but we shall find out what others think.

Chelmsford offers 10 classes  a year on Sunday mornings.   But you do make some good points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terpsichore said:

Thanks for your comments, Nicola.

I agree with you about the corporate structure but we shall find out what others think.

Chelmsford offers 10 classes  a year on Sunday mornings.   But you do make some good points.

company classes monthly  is eminently sensible  imo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow we shall know whether we have enough support in the North of England to establish an amateur ballet company in the North.   

I have received 20 registrations for 
Jane Tucker's class in Huddersfield Leisure Centre at 15:00 tomorrow though some have withdrawn.   The studio will take another 5 dancers so if anyone else wants to attend please let me know.

I look forward to seeing those who wish to attend the class at Kirklees Leisure Centre, Spring Grove Street, Huddersfield HD1 4BP at 15:00 tomorrow. I will be at the reception desk of the Leisure Centre from 14:30 to make sure that the staff let you all in.  I have hired the dance studio from 14:15 to 16:45 if you wish to carry out your own stretches, warm up and cool down exercises in addition to those that our teacher will direct.

I should like to thank everyone else who has expressed interest in the project.  I acknowledge in particular the advice I have received from Marion Pettet of Chelmsford Ballet, Terence Etheridge of Duchy BalletGillian Barton of Ballet West and Michelle Richer of Lincolnshire.

After the class I shall invite those who attend the class to a short meeting in the canteen where we shall decide whether we want to form a company and, if so, elect a small steering committee to draw up a business plan and constitution for the company.
  • Like 1

Although only 55% of those who had registered actually turned up we still had enough for a great class.   All the dancers who cancelled expressed continued interest in the project and asked to be kept informed as did several others who did not register.

Attendees came from all parts of the region from Salford in the west to York in the east and from Harrogate in the north to Birmingham in the south. The venue for the class was not ideal in that there were no travelling barres and the floor was a bit slippery causing me to lose my balance but we made the best of it.  Jane Tucker promised me a great class and she delivered.  Seldom have I seen such happy faces

After the class we held a quick meeting where Jane took some photos one of which appears in the Powerhouse Ballet website and the rest on Facebook.  We agreed to train together regularly with a view to staging ballets and we elected a steering committee to take us to the next level.

Jane has agreed to give us more classes as have several other teachers.   Classes will be held in Manchester, Leeds and other places in the region after we have consulted those who attended the class or expressed interest in doing so.

I should like to thank every subscriber to this website who has offered assistance or sent good wishes.   I will keep you all posted but as my proposal to set up a new company has been accepted it may be more appropriate to do so under a different thread.

Edited by Terpsichore
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I am delighted to announce our second class.

It will take place at the Dancehouse in Manchester on Saturday, 30 Sept 2018 between 13:30 and 15:00 and will be given by Mark Hindle of KNT Danceworks.

Everyone who attended or registered for the last class or showed interest in Powerhouse Ballet will  be invited back but we also hope to welcome dancers from Greater Manchester,  Merseyside and other parts of the North.

As before, there will be no charge for the class but registration through Eventbrite is essential is essential as we are limited to 25 dancers. 

Finally, as our proposal has been accepted, the moderators may wish to consider simplifying the name of the thread to "Powerhouse Ballet".   

• Like 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Powerhouse Ballet

Mea culpa

There was a typo in my last post.   Our next class will take place at 13:30 on 30 June 2018 at  the Dancehouse in Manchester and not on 30 Sept though there will be a class at the end of September which I hope will be in Liverpool.

There will also be another class in Yorkshire at the end of July..

Anybody who wants to attend the  class in Manchester on 30 June should register here.

• Like 1