USA visas refused for two Bolshoi's dancers

indeed Bruce, and could just be a matter that the visa IS for groups of entertainers and in the past they have been a bit more easy-going with it.

Seems like they just made a mistake with the visa, and it's very much a mountain out of nothing at all.

'Definitely' it could create political resentment in russia. So pretty much a loaded question already was posed. Seems the writer already had the direction of the article in mind.

'They didn't say anything last time', or 'i got away with it before' isn't really an excuse to expect a visa permitted in the wrong category. Case closed I think.

• Like 2

Kim it appears got his visa to dance in this evening's gala.  (Indeed he is dancing the DQ PDD ... with none other than Tiler Peck ... That WOULD be something to see)

Wonder if Osipova has yet got all her ducks in a row for the ABT Giselle she is scheduled to dance with Hallberg next month?  From his Instagram account it appears Hallberg is still in Australia .. even though ABT is currently in rehearsal.  Although he says he is 'getting ready to fly'  Hope he is recovering.  Looking forward to the potential of seeing him with Ospiova in Lilac Garden in Sept. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

35 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Kim it appears got his visa to dance in this evening's gala.  (Indeed he is dancing the DQ PDD ... with none other than Tiler Peck ... That WOULD be something to see)

Wonder if Osipova has yet got all her ducks in a row for the ABT Giselle she is scheduled to dance with Hallberg next month?  From his Instagram account it appears Hallberg is still in Australia .. even though ABT is currently in rehearsal.  Although he says he is 'getting ready to fly'  Hope he is recovering.  Looking forward to the potential of seeing him with Ospiova in Lilac Garden in Sept. 

Actually, he is dancing with Isabella Boylston.  I saw someone mention on Ballet Alert that Tiler was subbing for Bella, but from all indications on Bella's instagram, that is not true.  She and Kim rehearsed today.  

As far as the visas go, Kim may have gotten his visa earlier because it was announced quite awhile ago that he would be guesting at ABT during the Met.  He is probably going to rehearse for that while he is here.

13 hours ago, SwissBalletFan said:

Seems like they just made a mistake with the visa, and it's very much a mountain out of nothing at all.

'Definitely' it could create political resentment in russia. So pretty much a loaded question already was posed. Seems the writer already had the direction of the article in mind.

I agree with the first sentence. Considering the second, I guess it is a quote, and not a particularly thoughtful one. Based on my extensive contacts with my Russian colleagues, and the information I hear from them, I can say that the majority of Russian population has been blaming the U.S. for the collapse of the Soviet Union and, as a result, the hostility levels across the population in Russia towards the U.S. have been running very high for many years. Worrying about this minor incident creating "resentment" in Russia is the last thing to worry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

“Olga is considered the number one ballerina in the world right now"   - really? and  isn't she a principal, rather  than  a "prima ballerina" ? 

Yes, but we all know how little understanding of the correct use of these terms there is in the general (i.e. non-arts-specific) media.

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

“Olga is considered the number one ballerina in the world right now"   - really? and  isn't she a principal, rather  than  a "prima ballerina" ? 

These claims are highly subjective, I read that as hyperbole.

3 hours ago, assoluta said:

I agree with the first sentence. Considering the second, I guess it is a quote, and not a particularly thoughtful one. Based on my extensive contacts with my Russian colleagues, and the information I hear from them, I can say that the majority of Russian population has been blaming the U.S. for the collapse of the Soviet Union and, as a result, the hostility levels across the population in Russia towards the U.S. have been running very high for many years. Worrying about this minor incident creating "resentment" in Russia is the last thing to worry.

The reason I mention about the quote is that it was only for ‘definitely’ which implies the other part not in quotation marks must have been the question. 

As in:

q) do you think that this could cause political resentment in Russia?

a) definitely

and I totally agree, this isn’t really anywhere near an important issue as others.

as others have said, other dancers have gotten visas ok, and the immigration department has said that it was due to an incorrect visa application.

i would also add that the quality of dance ‘journalism’ in the dance magazine websites etc is really poor, just promoting the headline and sentiment without even looking into the facts at all.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 3

If the US is anything like the UK, immigration policy can change on a whim.  I used to have a job arranging student seminars and I remember a small change in documentation led to an eminent US academic being detained at Heathrow under suspicion of illegal entry.  Actually the guy in question thought it was a hoot, however my boss who'd arranged his visa was mortified.  It could well be something of that nature, though not granting a visa to an Italian does suggest human error.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwissBalletFan said:

i would also add that the quality of dance ‘journalism’ in the dance magazine websites etc is really poor, just promoting the headline and sentiment without even looking into the facts at all.

Unfortunately, it's not infrequently like that in much of "news" journalism in this country now, too :( 

This sounds to me as though it may be a mountain being made out of a molehill, beefed up by concerns about the current state of US-Russian relations.  After all, it's not that long since Polina Semionova had to withdraw from performances with ENB because of problems with her visa application, but of course nobody suggested there was a political motivation back then ...

• Like 4