Viviana Durante Company: Kenneth MacMillan - Steps Back in Time, London, April 2018

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, alison said:

And really hope they put some standing in there somewhere so that we can all afford to see it :(

From the ROH website:

"There will be a variety of ticket prices available for both standing room and seated. The number of standing places will be slightly reduced from the current set-up, but the comfort of the seating and quality of the sightlines and acoustics will be improved dramatically, providing an all-round better experience for visitors."

http://www.roh.org.uk/about/open-up/faqs

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh good.  It's just that all the pictures appear to show an all-seater theatre.

Apparently the seating arrangement isn't permanent. From the same page on the ROH website:

"The Linbury seating will be able to be configured to suit both steep and shallow rakes for ballet and opera performances as well as being able to move position to suit end-on, traverse and flat floor stagings."

• Like 1

On 24/04/2018 at 19:36, JohnS said:

As there hadn't been much comment about the poor view/dim lighting, I wondered if it were just me and I'd exaggerated the problems.  

Not at all...the whole lights situation was just totally daft.  I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I walked into a wall on Saturday :lol::mellow:!  Couldn't see a thing....so I'm presuming it was a wall anyway.  Luckily I just hurt my shoulder a little bit but when I made it to my seat I could see so many people struggling, especially those with mobility problems and it just seems so unnecessary.

I like the Barbican but I've never been to the Pit before and I just thought it was a pretty awful venue for ballet.  My seat was a few rows back and the tiering was good and I had a great view so I was extremely lucky in that respect as obviously others really missed out on a good view :angry:

As for the ballet, I thought it was a very weird and wonderful programme which I liked a lot.  I thought Francessca Hayward was just outstanding in Laidrette...definitely the highlight for me.  Usually I would read about the ballet before I go if I've not seen it before but I didn't manage to this time so I think maybe I suffered for that a bit.  I didn't really get some of the significance of different characters in Laidrette until the Q&A when an audience member asked Viviana Durante about it and she explained things.  House of Birds was a very interesting piece which I thought everyone excelled in and Dances Concertantes was (very) short and sweet.  So all in all a really enjoyable programme and I also enjoyed the Q&A....shame they couldn't switch the lights on though!

• Like 4

I find it very odd that, in these days when Health and Safety is so ever present, so many theatres seem to totally ignore it when it comes to lighting and reasonable ease of access for their audiences. In most theatres it's impossible to read a programme because of poor lighting, and getting to your seat can be very difficult in some theatres. We pay enough for tickets, we should at least  be able to get seated without walking into walls or performing strange gymnastics in the dark.

• Like 2

Forgive me for being smug. I had the two end-of-row tickets on the back row (Row H) so no-one in front to spoil my view.

I can't add anything to the tributes that have already been made to the wonderful dancers. Loved the programme, the talk afterwards and so glad that these and other rarely performed works are likely to be revived in the Linbury.

• Like 3

I'm fairly sure that early on in this thread, someone thought that House of Birds had a scene with the captured girls wearing birdcage head-dresses?  I was aware that had indeed been the case, but was unaware that somewhere in the depth of my computer files was some evidence.  Where it came from, I've now no idea, but here we are:

sc001beeb8.jpg

• Like 9

Just as a footnote to this: I saw the dress rehearsal of the 1963 revival of House of Birds , at Covent Garden, and a couple of performances later on tour, and I'm interested to see from the notes I made at the time that I thought it looked far better on the bigger stage - rather against what I've usually found for ballets originally  made for Sadler's Wells etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

I'm fairly sure that early on in this thread, someone thought that House of Birds had a scene with the captured girls wearing birdcage head-dresses?  I was aware that had indeed been the case, but was unaware that somewhere in the depth of my computer files was some evidence.  Where it came from, I've now no idea, but here we are:

44 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Just as a footnote to this: I saw the dress rehearsal of the 1963 revival of House of Birds , at Covent Garden, and a couple of performances later on tour, and I'm interested to see from the notes I made at the time that I thought it looked far better on the bigger stage - rather against what I've usually found for ballets originally  made for Sadler's Wells etc.

Just when I think I've got to grips with the knowledge of members of this forum, I'm surprised anew! Would that I could recall half what I saw last decade as well as some here from fifty or more years ago!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jane S said:

I agree with you Jane S and with Alison earlier that the stage did not feel big enough for House of Birds. I'm not entirely sure why this should be the case since Laiderette was not exactly sparsely cast but somehow there seemed to be much more room.

Rather poor for the Sunday Times to have the wrong ballet/dancer for the photograph in today's links.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/theatre-review-kenneth-macmillan-steps-back-in-time-much-ado-about-nothing-rasheeda-speaking-strictly-ballroom-lzqn3zvgc?shareToken=9922b6bcc946a015ed45abf9f0da35a9

Apologies from me - I'm sure there's a better way of adding the link but beyond my IT capabilities.