Any current York scholars

Penguinboysmum

Hi

Does anyone have a dc currently attending York scholars, would you recommend It? I understand there has been a lot of change so am looking for reassurance that it is still a good scholars scheme. DS is very ballet focussed and I see they only do 1hr of ballet with another hour each of Jazz and Contemporary. Is the ballet training worth it? DS could have an extra hour at his current school. 

Thanks

• Like 1

DD is auditioning for York Scholars tomorrow.  (She was meant to be auditioning last year, but circumstances meant she couldn't make the audition in the end)

One person on the forum replied to a previous thread about York Scholars and they thought it was good and worth doing. DD did their summer school a couple of years ago and loved it. The teaching was excellent. 

DD has friends who did it before it all changed, but I don't know anyone who attends now. 

I don't know about the set up at your DS school, but we always found one of the advantages of taking part in an associate type scheme is the chance to meet other boys.  Also, as we lived some distance from anywhere (!) it was time efficient to do three classes at once.

Although your son may be ballet focussed, he may have talents you didn't dream of in jazz or contemporary, I think he's quite young?  Reality is he will have an awful lot more career opportunities later in life if he has a good all round skills base.  

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

I don't know about the set up at your DS school, but we always found one of the advantages of taking part in an associate type scheme is the chance to meet other boys.  Also, as we lived some distance from anywhere (!) it was time efficient to do three classes at once.

Although your son may be ballet focussed, he may have talents you didn't dream of in jazz or contemporary, I think he's quite young?  Reality is he will have an awful lot more career opportunities later in life if he has a good all round skills base.  

Hi, We're very lucky in his set-up that he has 5 other boys in his class, does a boys only ballet class and attends a boys scholars class once a month plus residentials that cover a wider range of styles. He also does jazz and tap which would clash with the associates class. So just putting him into the scheme would take him away from what he is already doing and unless it is an amazing scheme with exemplary teaching I'm not sure this would be the correct move for DS if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PenguinBoysMum said:

Hi, We're very lucky in his set-up that he has 5 other boys in his class, does a boys only ballet class and attends a boys scholars class once a month plus residentials that cover a wider range of styles. He also does jazz and tap which would clash with the associates class. So just putting him into the scheme would take him away from what he is already doing and unless it is an amazing scheme with exemplary teaching I'm not sure this would be the correct move for DS if that makes sense. 

I think you have answered your own question - and lucky you!  

However, I would just advise that regardless of what feedback you get here or elsewhere, you will never know if it is " it is an amazing scheme with exemplary teaching", and even if it is whether it is right for your son, without seeing for yourself.   Is there some particular reason you are considering another scheme at this point?

Edited by meadowblythe
On re-reading sounded impertinent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, meadowblythe said:

I think you have answered your own question - and lucky you!  

However, I would just advise that regardless of what feedback you get here or elsewhere, you will never know if it is " it is an amazing scheme with exemplary teaching", and even if it is whether it is right for your son, without seeing for yourself.   Is there some particular reason you are considering another scheme at this point?

We were just looking at options really as the scholars class is only once a month, and the residentials are twice a year. I think we are lucky with our dance school, but other than that I have little experience of the ballet world. It 'appeared' at DS Elmhurst audition that many if not all were associates. We didn't know about JA until auditions for yr6 so with so few places available that was a no. We haven't auditioned for MA because London is too far, so are looking closer to home. We just want to be doing the right thing by DS. It's a mine field, and while DS has always loved dancing, his thoughts on this being a potential career have only come about over the last year or so.

Are you looking at elmhurst extended Associates, they haven’t auditioned yet although it is pretty soon. Graham Fletcher in Leicester is an excellent male ballet teacher although his sessions are once a month for the mixed class and on the same weekend there is an additional boys class. His auditions aren’t until September though so you have plenty of time to audition for other things and get a feel for what’s out there. I know he’s quite flexible so if you contacted him and explained your situation he may let you go along and watch one of his classes, then your DS would know whether it was something he wanted to do. His wife also offers pilates classes alongside the ballet class. Does your DS have Miss Hurst at his associate sessions? She also runs a scheme at KSD in Warrington through Cecchetti.

My daughter attended york scholars for many years,the ballet teacher is still there he is amazing ,the contemporary teacher is also amazing,every other class is a bonus even for a classical dancer.

We miss it so very much,it will stay in our hearts forever, we left to attend another associates, but to me it was never the same.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. We will look at York Scholars next year. Realistically Manchester is too far away for a weekly lesson but we'll revisit it all next year. In the meantime we've just heard he's got a place at Elmhurst summer school so he's got that and his Scholars classes to look forward to :)

Edited by PenguinBoysMum
Typos
  • Like 3