Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn Season 2018/19

On 03/10/2018 at 22:52, Sophoife said:

PCAs are fine for Empress Elisabeth and Bay Middleton, but not for Rudolf it would seem.

Adam Cooper danced it when he was a soloist but was immediately promoted to principal on the strength of his performance.  I don't know if it was announced on stage but that was not unknown back in those, less considered, days.  From what I've been reading today I can't help wishing we could return to a more spontaneous, less corporate time.

Linda

Edited by loveclassics
typo
  • Like 2

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, loveclassics said:

Adam Cooper danced it when he was a soloist but was immediately promoted to principal on the strength of his performance.  I don't know if it was announced on stage but that was not unknown back in those, less considered, days.  From what I've been reading today I can't help wishing we could return to a more spontaneous, less corporate time.

Linda

Yes, Linda, I wasn't saying that no-one not a principal is cast as Rudolf, I was saying that it appears today that if a person is a Principal Character Artist, they will not be cast in principal dancing roles in full-length ballets, with specific reference to Gartside (i.e. Winter's Tale, Mayerling). Which is really odd, given that in 2017 those who were to be promoted were told before they left London for Brisbane (apparently this is standard, they are told about a month before it's announced), he then danced an extra show of Leontes in Brisbane, when technically a PCA, then the announcement was made late on their last day in Brisbane, since when he's danced Judas Tree and Age of Anxiety but not Leontes and now not Rudolf. Can't help thinking it's a Thing that PCAs Shall Not Dance Principal Roles In Full Length Ballets. I mean Drosselmeyer isn't a dancing role, nor is Bay Middleton (well not much). Empress Elisabeth is, but relatively short compared with either Rudolf or Leontes, and as for Paulina, I note that during the very short most recent season (Feb/March 2018) the Paulinas were Morera, Mendizabal, and Heap - no sign of Arestis (also a new PCA).

14 hours ago, Sophoife said:

I do think They have missed a trick in not casting him as Leontes or having him as an available Rudolf cover, but perhaps it is his own choice? Not knowing, can't say.

I totally agree with you.  But as for the not knowing ... well, I certainly can't imagine it's his choice.

Martin Harvey did dance Onegin with Mara Galeazzi. 

His Rudolph was with Tamara Rojo. The other women in the cast made interesting reading.

Belinda Hatley as Larisch

Victoria Hewitt as Stephanie

Leanne Cope as Louise

Christina Arestis as The Empress

Lauren Cuthbertson as Mitzi.

What a cast. I had the privilege of talking to Leanne Cope about this.

All that home grown talent made for a very happy cast.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, alison said:

That must have been one of Hatley's last performances, then.  I think Larisch was a role she took on very near the end of her career?

Yes it was and she only came in as a replacement. Why she had never been cast in the role before

raised a few questions. Then again her whole career at the Royal ballet raised many questions

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

If the ROH are not going to keep us informed about cast changes, I guess we are going to have to do it ourselves.

Avis is now listed as dancing Bay Middleton tonight 17th (Soares cast). This was previously listed as Gartside. He also replaced Gartside on 12th.

Kish is now listed as dancing Bay Middleton on 25th and 30th (Bonelli cast). These dates were previously listed as Gartside.

Gartside is still listed as dancing Bay Middleton on 22nd (Soares cast), but…?

Mendizabal is now listed as dancing Elizabeth on 25th and 30th (Bonelli cast). These dates were previously listed as Heap. (Has Mendizabal danced this role before?)

As noted in another thread, Turk is now listed as dancing Elizabeth tonight 17th and 22nd (Soares cast). These dates were previously listed as Heap. She also replaced Heap on 12th.

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 6

Sorry not to see Heap who I like enormously but Mendizabal seems excellent casting for Elizabeth. Very much looking forward to this next week, even if there’s a bit of me that is aprehensive lest Bonelli and Morera fail to match the sensational heights of last time, especially as embellished within the memory ....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shade said:

Does anyone know when casting for symphony in C will be announced? I would rather know before booking.

I asked one particular Principal ballerina about it. Her reply was that she does not know yet.

Nevertheless, I took a risk and bought a ticket for the opening night -- after all, "Symphony in C" needs 4 Ballerinas.

• Like 4

The 'soloists' seem to know but the 4 lead couples do not and it could well remain as 'The Company' on the website.

However, Yasmine Naghdi danced the 4th Movement at the Spring Gala and my guess is that she will be cast for that on at least a couple of the nights when she is not in Unknown Soldier.

Really surprised there is no Symphony in C nor Infra casting news at all.

Who is in charge of keeping the casting on the ROH website up-to-date? It's really annoying.

And no news on who and what re.Wednesday's La Bayadere Insight event? 

All very frustrating to say the least!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, capybara said:

The 'soloists' seem to know but the 4 lead couples do not and it could well remain as 'The Company' on the website.

However, Yasmine Naghdi danced the 4th Movement at the Spring Gala and my guess is that she will be cast for that on at least a couple of the nights when she is not in Unknown Soldier.

And do we know the soloists (like official somewhere on a page etc.)  or do you have some not official news?

7 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Really surprised there is no Symphony in C nor Infra casting news at all.

Who is in charge of keeping the casting on the ROH website up-to-date? It's really annoying.

And no news on who and what re.Wednesday's La Bayadere Insight event? 

All very frustrating to say the least!

It is really annoying. Especially if you need/want to fly out from Germany and maybe need to book some hotels etc...In the last seasons it was at least always updated who got which role, so even when you didn´t know which cast on which date you had at least a general idea if you wanted to see probably many casts or if one performance at an ideal date would be enough...

• Like 1

Well, if it is I suspect it isn't working, because the really keen ones will probably have booked all 6(?) performances instead (and may dump tickets later).  Those of us who were waiting for some indication of casting before buying more tickets look as though we're going to be disappointed - there's not much left.

• Like 1

Stuttgart Ballet recently opened the season with triple bills witch includes Symphony in C.

The casting of all programmes was announced about 10 days prior to the first night.

December/January and July castings are to be confirmed as of today.

Royal Ballet is probably one of few companies announces the castings months in advance.

Other case I know is oversea companies visiting Japan, especially Tokyo.

The promotors do know if they don't announce the castings before the booking open date, the ticket sales would be slow.

Deciding Symphony in C and Infra castings might be more complicated than we think.

But I would like to know it before the tickets are sold out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed a few (expensive) returns popping up on the website for Bayadere.

My reason for posting here is to say that the casting is a complete mess here too: no logical order on anything.  I don't know whether this has previously been mentioned.  Sometimes it's Solor first, sometimes Nikiya, and sometimes Gamzatti (I presume) precedes Nikiya!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I think it's rather disappointing that someone else hasn't been given the opportunity to take Hayward's Unknown Soldier shows (or Naghdi's, if she were to take Hayward's).  I suppose this means there wasn't a cover and, to me, that's not a good state of affairs.

Time constraints? Suitable dancers busy elsewhere? Suitable dancers not available as involved in Mayerling rehearsals at the time of Unknow Soldier creation? There may have been so many reasons why no cover was put in place for Naghdi and Hayward. 

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

I think it's rather disappointing that someone else hasn't been given the opportunity to take Hayward's Unknown Soldier shows (or Naghdi's, if she were to take Hayward's).  I suppose this means there wasn't a cover and, to me, that's not a good state of affairs.

I've heard Anna Rose will dance the nights Yasmine originally down for... but the way things been going on the website, we may not get confirmation (or have it refuted) until the night of the performance!

• Like 3