Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn Season 2018/19

8 hours ago, alison said:

Just pencilled the dates for the Nutcracker into the diary and realised how oddly un-Christmassy they are: a mere smattering throughout December then a fairly solid run in January!

And couldn't they have fit in a matinee of the Patineurs triple that isn't on a weekday?  (If it was a weekday between Christmas and New Year, at least they'd catch a lot of people off work, but it isn't...)

• Like 1

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, alison said:

Just pencilled the dates for the Nutcracker into the diary and realised how oddly un-Christmassy they are: a mere smattering throughout December then a fairly solid run in January!

And seemingly fully booked before  Christmas, at least as things stand just at the moment,  apart from Christmas Eve (mainly Amphi). 

On 16/04/2018 at 11:39, alison said:

Olga Chenchikova's, too.  She gave the impression that snagging Solor was almost some sort of last chance for her.

But the joke, when I saw her do this (wonderfully), was she had already married her Solor (Makharbak Vaziev) in real life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

And seemingly fully booked before  Christmas, at least as things stand just at the moment,  apart from Christmas Eve (mainly Amphi). 

Nice of Kevin to stand back and give ENB the benefit :)

• Like 1

Back in April, SPD444 asked about Kevin Jackson, and bangorballetboy replied that he was a guesting Australian Ballet principal. Which he is. Bit more info ... (you can stop reading here if you're not interested ☺). He's one of the, if not the, big jumping men currently with TAB. In fact TAB's upcoming reworking of Spartacus (Lucas Jervies is the choreographer) is being made on him. He was awesome, or, in language more suited to my advanced years, extremely impressive, in Neumeier's Nijinsky 18 months ago. I have to say that I think he's wasted in Nutcracker, but then I don't like Nutcracker. Will that get me expelled from the forum? Whatever. I still don't like Nutcracker. And we get Alex Campbell in return. Great ☺.Anyway, Kevin Jackson is worth seeing, IMHO.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jmb said:

Back in April, SPD444 asked about Kevin Jackson, and bangorballetboy replied that he was a guesting Australian Ballet principal. Which he is. Bit more info ... (you can stop reading here if you're not interested ☺). He's one of the, if not the, big jumping men currently with TAB. In fact TAB's upcoming reworking of Spartacus (Lucas Jervies is the choreographer) is being made on him. He was awesome, or, in language more suited to my advanced years, extremely impressive, in Neumeier's Nijinsky 18 months ago. I have to say that I think he's wasted in Nutcracker, but then I don't like Nutcracker. Will that get me expelled from the forum? Whatever. I still don't like Nutcracker. And we get Alex Campbell in return. Great ☺.Anyway, Kevin Jackson is worth seeing, IMHO.

Which production of Nutcracker does TAB have?

I love BRB’s by SPW but loathe RB’s by him!

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Which production of Nutcracker does TAB have?

I love BRB’s by SPW but loathe RB’s by him!

The Australian Ballet has Sir Peter Wright's BRB production.  It was filmed a few years ago (with Kevin Jackson) and shown, here in the UK, on Sky Arts.

Edited for missing punctuation.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

This is a slightly complicated question. Straight Nutcracker it's Peter Wright's version. BUT, there's also our very own Nutcracker, the Story of Clara, choreography Graeme Murphy. But before I go on, a word of explanation. Christmas for us is not cold, it's not snow flakes and fires and mulled wine. It's hot. Prawns and seafood and barbecues and beach cricket. So I hate attempts, tied up with Nutcracker, to make our Christmas 'authentic' and cold. One of the very few things I don't like about Queensland Ballet is Li Cunxin's attempt to make Nutcracker an annual Christmas event. 

Nutcracker: The Story of Clara is something else again. It's an Australian version of the story - hot and dry - and recounts the story of Clara, a dancer of the Ballet Russes who found refuge in Australia, as she looks back at the end of her life. Having said that, I have to admit that I haven't seen it, family pressures having made it impossible last year. But I'm ideologically well-disposed😊

Edited by jmb
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, jmb said:

As is Alexander Campbell, IMHO. :) I will look forward to seeing Kevin Jackson - even if it's largely only a PDD, Nutcracker does allow you a good view of someone's overall technique and stage personality.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jmb said:

Nutcracker: The Story of Clara is something else again. It's an Australian version of the story - hot and dry - and recounts the story of Clara, a dancer of the Ballet Russes who found refuge in Australia, as she looks back at the end of her life. Having said that, I have to admit that I haven't seen it, family pressures having made it impossible last year. But I'm ideologically well-disposed😊

I love this Greame Murphy version on Nutcracker, the story of Clara, they brought it to Japan several years ago. A touching epic story of old Clara who was a dancer at the Ballet Russes in her youth.  There is also a DVD of this lovely production. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bridiem said:

As is Alexander Campbell, IMHO. :) I will look forward to seeing Kevin Jackson - even if it's largely only a PDD, Nutcracker does allow you a good view of someone's overall technique and stage personality.

And I look forward to what you have to say :)

• Like 1

For those wondering why some RB principals do not appear to be cast so much as you might anticipate in the autumn season, it's worth considering that the RB will be represented in a multi company programme in the USA this October.  Dates are 31 Oct to Nov 4th. Details here

https://www.nycitycenter.org/pdps/2018-2019/Balanchine/

The RB present Tarentella and Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux. No casting details that I have found so far. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Lynette if you are thinking of Hayward, for example, she does seem a good bet for this...the likes of Nunez, Osipova, Nagdhi, Lamb and Takada are otherwise engaged with La B on those dates. This has also been mooted on another thread.

Richard, please allow me: her name is NaghDi (Yasmine) not NagDhi :)  

7 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Lynette if you are thinking of Hayward, for example, she does seem a good bet for this...the likes of Nunez, Osipova, Naghdi, Lamb and Takada are otherwise engaged with La B on those dates. This has also been mooted on another thread.

Hayward and Sambe in Tarantella are in the publicity photos on the NYCC event site.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

Yes, but with Nunez. He has danced it with Cutherbertson at galas before but probably the timing of this wouldn’t work - for him or for Nunez?

My mind went automatically to Muntagirov but, as you say, he looks to be a bit tied up with La Bayadere at that time.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Just now, penelopesimpson said:

Oh god.  This is the worst news possible.  I am absolutely and totally gutted.  Mr Watson, know that you will be most enormously missed.

Yes, he will be. I immediately thought of you when I received this email, penelopesimpson!

What a huge opportunity for both Hirano and Ball. By chance I will be seeing both of them, which is very exciting. But I'm so sorry for Edward Watson, and very glad and grateful that I saw him last time round.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Yes, he will be. I immediately thought of you when I received this email, penelopesimpson!

What a huge opportunity for both Hirano and Ball. By chance I will be seeing both of them, which is very exciting. But I'm so sorry for Edward Watson, and very glad and grateful that I saw him last time round.

I had been wondering why we hadn't heard anything about Ed for so long but had hoped no news was good news and didn't dare enquire.  I am so disappointed because I suppose it means we will never see his Mayerling again.  I have tickets for all his performances and whilst I am a big fan of Ryochi, I don't think I want to see his interpretation that many times.  I also notice that Ed is not scheduled to dance anything else in the current schedule.  I am thinking unthinkable thoughts.

Does anyone know what the injury was?

• Like 2

Ed Watson has just announced that he won’t be able to perform his scheduled Mayerling dates, making reference to ‘not being superhuman after all’. 

Very sad news, assume this is in relation to the injury he picked up during last season. I do hope he recovers back to full fitness, I’d been so looking forward to seeing him dance again. However upset we are, it must be horrendous for him. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

Thanks for posting that, John.  I had, only this morning, ordered flowers to take for the Monday.  So sad.

Whilst I am keen to see both Ryochi and Matthew, I rather wish they had given one of the performances to Ben Gartside

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Whilst I am keen to see both Ryochi and Matthew, I rather wish they had given one of the performances to Ben Gartside

Oh YESSSS!  

However, it is a huge thing to get dancers up and running to dance Rudolf (goodness knows how they are managing that with Matthew Ball, especially given that he was away in Plymouth and so actively involved in the Insight and WBD focus on Unbroken Soldier) and having 5 casts will already, surely, be stretching the resources of the RB.