How to get a Distinction in ballet exams!

ArucariaBallerina

Hello all,

I am taking my IDTA Grade 5 and Intermediate ballet exams at the end of April and am just looking for any tips on how to impress the examiner (what they are looking for, high leg/low leg, smile etc) Also I am on my own in the Intermediate exam and so am a bit more scared because of that! If anybody knows the IDTA intermediate syllabus, it is very much 'exercise-y' rather than 'dance-y'!

I have 2.5 hours in between the exams, and so am also looking for advice on what to do in the gap, so as to keep warm and flexible but not exhausted! I REALLY want to get Distinctions in these exams! :) 

Thank you!

• Like 2

Thank you very much @Pixiewoo and your dd x

Also another question (sorry!) I have to wear uniform full sole satin shoes for G5 but can wear any shoes as long as they have ribbons for Intermediate. I find the full sole (1st position) ones quite rigid, as I am used to split soles for class. I knew the Vaganova girls have really beautiful, flattering, comfortable looking shoes with ribbons. Any recommendations? I think they have to be a pink-ish colour 😊

• Like 1

Wishing you lots of luck for the two exams and I hope you enjoy every moment! If you relax as much as possible and try to show the examiner how much you love dancing I’m sure you will do very well. 

I’m surprised that you say that the Intermediate is exercise-y not dance-y, as we are accustomed to IDTA friends criticising the RAD syllabus for being exercise-y not dance-y; not our experience at all and certainly not the current RAD vocational syllabi. Just shows that we all have our own opinions!

• Like 1

I don't think there's any magic answer to success in any kind of exam, be it dance, music, academic or anything else. Sure, a little bit of luck helps, but what really matters is preparation. If you've done the work - which I'm sure you will have - then just believe in yourself and go and show the examiner what you can do. Stick to shoes that are tried and tested, and in between exams have a drink and a nutritious snack, and relax.

• Like 4

I understand where you're coming from in wanting to get Distinctions, but in the great scheme of things, they are not any massive indicator of talent. They merely "examine" your teacher; if she has taught you well, or not. I achieved Honours in every RAD exam i took ( Back then it was Pass, Pass Plus, Commended, Highly Commended , Honours). So did most others who entered the exam. Which is exactly why they were entered when they were by our school. The Principal knew full well more or less what grade (mark) we were all going to get months before taking it. No company; be they classical, contemporary, musical theatre or music hall, is going to ask anyone auditioning what grades they achieved for their exams. Try not to worry about it and just let your love of dance shine through; together with a solid, clean technique and a lovely sense of performance.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 16

11 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Thank you very much @Pixiewoo and your dd x

Also another question (sorry!) I have to wear uniform full sole satin shoes for G5 but can wear any shoes as long as they have ribbons for Intermediate. I find the full sole (1st position) ones quite rigid, as I am used to split soles for class. I knew the Vaganova girls have really beautiful, flattering, comfortable looking shoes with ribbons. Any recommendations? I think they have to be a pink-ish colour 😊

Roch Valley do nice pink satin shoes. Good luck for the exam.

Also, "high legs" or low legs should be 1. appropriate for each exercise and 2. commensurate with strength, control and correct technique.    For example, throwing your leg up to the ceiling during grand battements is only impressive if you have the control and core strength to go with the extension - does that make sense? 

Same with smiling; do it when appropriate - you don't need to be grinning all the way through a nice serene port de bras. :)

Edited for clarification.

• Like 7

Ha ha Anna C we have been working in one class I do for the past few weeks on the dynamics of the grand Battements!! Apparently it's sort of throw your leg up BUT control all the way down! The control all the way down bit certainly limits how far you will try to throw your leg up!! 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Absolutely, Lin! And "throw" with stability so that the hips and supporting leg aren't all over the place and out of alignment! :)

exactly  - 85 degrees and perfect technique is more impressive than 110  degrees and shonky technique  meaning  more than 15 degrees  of it is down to misalignment 

• Like 3

Interestingly dancers who can do high legs rather easily ( and with good technique) tell me it gets easier after 90 degrees 😳🤔

As long as there is no collapsing in the body or turnout is sacrificed ( from whatever your normal turnout is that is) then high legs are a bonus I suppose. 

Anyway regards the distinction .....just work your hardest from now till exam because in the end that's all you can do.....to give yourself the best chance on the day ....however ballet is also a somewhat fleeting art ....so that one day you can be better than on other days etc. Very annoying I know ......So don't be too disappointed if you don't get a Distinction on the day. ....a very good Merit should also make you proud once at the upper levels. But here's hoping it's a "Distinction" day for you 😊🍀

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! It's in 3 days now 😱

I wanted to ask is there any way to make the satin ballet shoes less slippy? I have both full sole and split sole, of which the split sole is more comfy perhaps, but I keep slipping on any little runs and it makes the double pirouettes quite frightening (the studio floor is already a quite slippy wood!) I would put rosin on them but I'm just worried that that will make it not slippy enough... If you see what I mean! With the slippy shoes, I find it hard to hold my turnout too until I get very warm... My feet just slip back in even though I'm engaging my muscles! 

Finally, are there any suggestions for keeping the knot of the ribbons tucked under... They keep coming out 😂

I'm sorry about all this, just very nervous! X

Have you tried dampening the soles of your shoes with some water beforehand? This should make them grip the floor better. Also, if you tie your shoes accordingly then hairspray them to death in place ( the ribbons, that is), that should hold them. You might have to cut the ribbons off afterwards to get your shoes off, but at least they will stay in place while you need them to.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 4

When my daughter slipped in class last year, one of our Highland Dancer mums gave me this brush to try - you use it to lift up the suede on the bottom of the dance shoe as it gets compressed and slippery the more you dance in it.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diamant-Brush-Dance-Shoes-HW10910/dp/B0154Q3O48
It worked great!  Lisa's idea about the water trick is another great idea... between the brush and a small spray bottle (or even a quick squirt from your water bottle), no more slipping.

Go in here knowing you can do this!  (and smile like you are loving every minute of it!)

D xx

• Like 6

I think the hairspray idea sounds good for the ribbons wouldn't have thought of this! 

I was going to suggest if you have time that is to tack the loose ends of ribbons. Some people even sew their ribbons onto their tights! Would have to be neat though and may depend on the amount of waiting around time before your exam. 

I always found it strange that I always seemed to have only two rather small ends of ribbon left so more difficult to keep tucked in where as others seemed to have longer bits left over.... I guess I just must have more ankle for the ribbon to go round! 

Good luck with it all anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Thank you everyone! It's in 3 days now 😱

I wanted to ask is there any way to make the satin ballet shoes less slippy? I have both full sole and split sole, of which the split sole is more comfy perhaps, but I keep slipping on any little runs and it makes the double pirouettes quite frightening (the studio floor is already a quite slippy wood!) I would put rosin on them but I'm just worried that that will make it not slippy enough... If you see what I mean! With the slippy shoes, I find it hard to hold my turnout too until I get very warm... My feet just slip back in even though I'm engaging my muscles! 

Finally, are there any suggestions for keeping the knot of the ribbons tucked under... They keep coming out 😂

I'm sorry about all this, just very nervous! X

One of the many tips you can find on You Tube.  Good Luck with your exam.

Edited by junedancer

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much everyone for your lovely contributions. I wore those Roch Valley satin split sole shoes and they were very nice! And thank you also for your advice on controlling the down part of the grand battement! My teachers have pointed it out in a good way! 

The exam went better than I thought, which is great! The examiner lady actually taught Samara Downs of BRB! She showed me a picture of her at the beginning of the Intermediate (after G5) and asked me whether I wanted to dance professionally (my reply was of course "more than anything!") because I reminded her of Samara Downs!!!! I was ecstatic!!! Probably not true, as I have a LOT to work on, but it stil

gives me a bubble of happiness. I slipped a tad on my good side in pirouettes (fine on my bad side?) and went the wrong way on a temps levée in one of the free work enchainements she set but other than that I didn't make any giant mistakes (obviously I don't know everything and I'm sure there were others!)

Does  anybody know how long IDTA exam results take to come out? It has been 2 weeks and 4 days since the exam and every time I hear a phone, email, post at my dance studio I jump up! 

• Like 7

Received the results at 9:06 this morning!

95/100 for Grade 5 and 88/100 for Intermediate!

Both Distinctions :) 

I'm glad that I passed, especially with distinction, but feel a bit bad about my Intermediate mark, as I know dancers from summer school etc who received 90 marks plus, even a 97! Is this still a good mark? Does it mean these dancers will become professionals and I won't stand a chance?

Thanks!

• Like 9

Well done ArucarianBallerina.

The grade you are worried about is still a DISTINCTION!!!

It doesn't mean that dancers with higher marks will become pros or that you won't.  Please don't worry just celebrate your success!

• Like 4

Fantastic marks,well done. Don't be worried about other people's marks though. I've known people with far lower marks make it professionally and people with higher marks not even get close.

A distinction is a distinction and your marks would have been honours in the old, old system of marking which is very special.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Does it mean these dancers will become professionals and I won't stand a chance?

Marks in a particular syllabus mean nothing at all when you're auditioning for a job. Nothing at all.

Marks in an exam indicate where you are at this moment. Nothing more. The written feedback and verbal feedback are far more important than the marks. What areas were you given feedback about? How can you appy that 'outside eye' viewpoint to helpyou improve your technique, your dancing, your growing artistry?

Please don't give the marks another thought, other than

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!

Distinctions in 2 exams taken on the same day ... that is wonderful.

• Like 5

as Kate N says exam marks mean little  or nothing  when you  are auditioning for a  job ...  

you could have  99s  all  the way  exam result wise  but if you  can't adapt  to the 'house style'  of the job you are going for ... 

if you talk to  the pros they will tell you  that each company has a house style  and it  varies between companies  - they all want technically proficient dancers  but some want  the  99. 9999% perfect line  and impeccable  clean  delivery   others  want dancer- actors who might not  quite the perfect line etc ... 

if you look at some of the discussion  in the 'Now that;s what i call a correction'  thread  

there's some of the barbed  remarks  about different  companies and awarding bodies that come  from the  likes of  Mr Paroni and Mr Keirce  ... 

• Like 1