Liam Scarlett's Queen of Spades in Copenhagen

The RDB gives the world premiere of Scarlett's Queen of Spades (Spar Dame in Danish) on April 14th - there's a page about in English on their site and more information and a couple of videos if you switch to the Danish version. From the photographs etc you can deduce that the first cast has Kizzy Matiakis as the Countess and Andreas Kaas as Hermann, but there are few clues to who else is dancing and if/when a second cast goes on. ( But, hey, there's still a week to opening night - plenty of time to plan your visit.)

If anyone is going, please report back!

• Like 1

So Scarlett is choreographing a new full-length which opens on 14th April in Copenhagen and producing/part-choreographing the RB new Swan Lake opening in London on 17th May. I would have thought that either of these would be pretty well a full-time occupation in the months leading up to the première. Wow.

• Like 4

And also from Instagram it looks as if Tobias Praetorius may be second cast Hermann, with Alexandra LoSardo as Liza.

(Incidentally I guess if you'd told Kizzy Matiakis a few years ago that she'd get to be a principal and one spring would be dancing the leads in Swan Lake and Raymonda and creating the title role in a new full-length piece, she'd have been a bit ... surprised)

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

So Scarlett is choreographing a new full-length which opens on 14th April in Copenhagen and producing/part-choreographing the RB new Swan Lake opening in London on 17th May. I would have thought that either of these would be pretty well a full-time occupation in the months leading up to the première. Wow.

I'm stunned.  I hope he got the choreography and everything sorted out for one or the other well in advance.

• Like 4

I have a ticket for the 15th and if it's true Tobias Praetorius will be Hermann and Alexandra Lo Sardo Liza in the second cast, I'll be more than happy!  I missed Alexandra Lo Sardo for quite some time, actually since the birth of her child. Of course I would love to see Kizzy Matiakis as the old countess as well but it will probably be impossible, if she's a member of the first cast. And, well, probably Kizzy hadn't counted with  being a principal of RDB for 5 years ago, but she always was very noticeable on the scene, even in some insignificant roles, so she surely deserves that position and I'm glad Hubbe made this decision last year!

Edited by Estreiiita
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jane S said:

(Incidentally I guess if you'd told Kizzy Matiakis a few years ago that she'd get to be a principal and one spring would be dancing the leads in Swan Lake and Raymonda and creating the title role in a new full-length piece, she'd have been a bit ... surprised)

Let's just remind everyone that Kizzy Matiakis (nee Howard) is British and a dancer of great personality along with her technical achievement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Estreiiita said:

And, well, probably Kizzy hadn't counted with  being a principal of RDB for 5 years ago, but she always was very noticeable on the scene, even in some insignificant roles, so she surely deserves that position and I'm glad Hubbe made this decision last year!

Yes, don't get me wrong: I really admire her and am delighted to see her get such good roles - it's just that she must have thought, at 35, that she would finish out her career as a respected soloist - I believe no-one else has ever been promoted so late in their career.

Here's a video of her trying some of her costumes

http://www.pictame.com/media/1733307638278945647_259760189

I'm also pleased to see that Lo Sardo is back - slightly wonder from this picture if she's actually the Countess rather than Liza?

• Like 1

On 07/04/2018 at 12:59, Jane S said:

I'm also pleased to see that Lo Sardo is back - slightly wonder from this picture if she's actually the Countess rather than Liza?

No, I was right the first time  - she's doing Liza. There was an open rehearsal of two acts yesterday so some at least of the casting is known - Ida Praetorius is also doing Liza. (Not exactly a surprise!)

I'm looking very much forward to the 15th, though I'd love to see Kizzy Matiakis, Andreas Kaas and Ida Praetorius. But J'Amie Crandall is always very good, and there are quite some interesting dancers in the cast for the 15th of April -should be fabulous!

On 07/04/2018 at 02:58, bridiem said:

He is also choreographing a new version of Firebird for the Queensland Ballet.  Opening May 25th. So he is obviously a very busy guy.

• Like 2

Loved it! I really hope Berlin or ENB acquire it too. Amazing dancing - RDB on top form. Scarlett must have really clicked with the dancers. Excellent plot line and edited story. No excess fat. Pacing pefect - attention grabbing throughout. Set design stunning. It was the best of Sweet Violets, with a feel of Manon meets Onegin - sounds weird but it worked. A terrific evening with the Royal Danish Ballet. Ah well, our Royal got Frankenstein...life and art can be so unfair.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jane S said:

Which cast did you see, Vanartus? (I rather hope you were there last night as I'd love to hear how Tobias Praetorius got on!)

I was there last night - as was Queen Margarethe (forgive spelling if I got it wrong) ! I thought he was amazing!