Matthew Bourne's New Adventures are looking for 16-19yo for a major new project

Jan McNulty

I did contact them as my eldest dd would love to try as they added a Newcastle date for next year. She is however two weeks too young and they will not budge on this. Very unfair as all her dance friends in same year group can apply as they have earlier birthdays ☹

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 27/04/2018 at 10:49, Pas de Quatre said:

I really wonder how it will work with some of the venues.  Our nearest is Mayflower Southampton, but to take part would effectively involve 2 weeks off school in September 2019 (in addition to the Sunday rehearsals scattered through the year).  I can't see that working except for those going onto a degree course with a late start.   I just have one pupil who has applied for Sadler's Wells because it is in the summer holidays.

I did some enquires with regards selecting a venue of choice rather than a venue of residency. If that makes sense. The staff whilst being very supportive did say they were looking for 'local' dancers to the venues area. But as you say, some venues offer performances within the school holidays whilst others are term time. A challenge for some.......

24 minutes ago, Pointetoes said:

I guess they are not working about travel arrangements because they are after dancers who are local to each venue. 

That does seem reasonable of them. Unfortunately for us we have applied for Sadler’s Wells because that’s closest to where dd will be living from September, but not yet :mellow:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlueLou said:

That does seem reasonable of them. Unfortunately for us we have applied for Sadler’s Wells because that’s closest to where dd will be living from September, but not yet :mellow:

Similar here. DD applied for an venue miles away. We did receive an email to query the location chosen and they appeared very supportive and understanding for the reasons we gave.  Just waiting now to see if it was at all worth it. 

Good luck to your DD. 😊

• Like 2

We would be applying for Northampton which is May 27th to June 1st 2019 performance dates.  There is no way there won't be GCSEs or A-levels in that week so they are essentially saying that only year 12 pupils or those that are just left school can apply!  I called New Adventures to check that I had interpreted this correctly and she said that all performers had to be available for that week completely, so there's no point in us applying.  Such a shame, as it would be an amazing opportunity.  

16 minutes ago, Piepie said:

We would be applying for Northampton which is May 27th to June 1st 2019 performance dates.  There is no way there won't be GCSEs or A-levels in that week so they are essentially saying that only year 12 pupils or those that are just left school can apply!  I called New Adventures to check that I had interpreted this correctly and she said that all performers had to be available for that week completely, so there's no point in us applying.  Such a shame, as it would be an amazing opportunity.  

I’m pretty sure that the whole country breaks up for Half Term on Friday 24th May 2019 and returns Monday 3rd June. It coincides with Bank Holiday weekend, so usually the same everywhere. There are never any GCSE or A levels during that week :) 

19 minutes ago, Piepie said:

We would be applying for Northampton which is May 27th to June 1st 2019 performance dates.  

That is half term week, there are never any GCSE or A levels that week. 

Edited by Pointetoes

No, I've just realised that!! What are the chances of there being any exams the week before half term though?  They are also required 20th to 25th all day.  Feeling like the right thing to do for the sake of her exams is not audition!!  But it would be such a good experience :) 

She's doing GCSEs and she's a stress head, and we left vocational because I wanted her to focus more effectively on her exams so I feel I would be a bit hypocritical if I then did this.  Never mind.  Thanks for replies xx

1 hour ago, Piepie said:

Could look at it another way. Application costs nothing and you could pull out if the worst case scenario occurred (dates) but you can’t apply after the closing date and then kick yourself if the dates turned out to be clear. Obviously it’s not ideal but to know a year ahead is a big ask. I think you may find there are more in a similar situation. 

A levels usually don't start until after half term, GCSEs are either side of half term - as are AS levels but perhaps worth pointing out that a lot of year 12s wont be sitting AS level exams as since the new syllabus A levels exams came in (only examined now at the end of year 13), a lot of schools have stopped doing AS exams.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, BlueLou said:

I know of a dancer who applied for Bradford and has had an invitation to audition. Dd applied for Sadler’s - no news for us yet. 

Thank you. You see these events advertised and sometimes never hear the outcome. 

4 hours ago, balletbean said:

Where did you apply? What dates are the auditions for the venue? Thank you

Birmingham - audition day 10 June 

can’t exactly remember when in May we applied ...probably the day before the deadline knowing my DS

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

I’m so pleased for you Billyelliott and Dancermum2003. Do you find out on the day or have to wait? 

We have yet to hear if we even have an audition !!

i keep refreshing his email but realistically I’m not expecting news  till June