Matthew Bourne's New Adventures are looking for 16-19yo for a major new project

Jan McNulty

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem an odd cut off date as it divides a whole school year. Those with birthdays in the second half of the year miss out. The standard date of 31st August as used by most ballet courses is better - though I realise it isn't the cut off for school year in Scotland. 

• Like 1

Its a very odd cut off especially as I don't think any local authority would grant a performance licence for someone still in Year 11 to perform and miss school during May/June.  If they are wanting to avoid performance license then they need to use the school year cut off aprt from performances from the last Friday in June onwards.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 1

It’s very bizarre I wondered if they had got it muddled and thought anyone over 16 was exempt from needing a performance license or chaperone. Certainly not the case where I live where kids still need a license in the August after they have left school! 

1 hour ago, Bluebird22 said:

It’s very bizarre I wondered if they had got it muddled and thought anyone over 16 was exempt from needing a performance license or chaperone. Certainly not the case where I live where kids still need a license in the August after they have left school! 

Grrrrr - If that is the case Bluebird then the LEA are quite utterly WRONG!!!!  What is it with them?  ARe they totally incompetent (don't answer that one, you know them as well as I do)

They don't need a licence after the last Friday in June of Year 11 (so some kids won't even be 16).  This is the legal definition of compulsory school age in Engladn & Wales (not Scotland) and the legislation clearly refers to compulsory school age.  However anyone who turns 16 in that year definately needs a performance licence up to that day.  The NIECC would be interested in this I bet.

• Like 1

The other authority rang me two days before a show to tell me that they had “misplaced” the licenses for a number of children. I hope the rest of the country has slightly better luck with their licensing departments since ours is utterly incompetent!

I will query the license age with them again!

9 hours ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Grrrrr - If that is the case Bluebird then the LEA are quite utterly WRONG!!!!  What is it with them?  ARe they totally incompetent (don't answer that one, you know them as well as I do)

They don't need a licence after the last Friday in June of Year 11 (so some kids won't even be 16).  This is the legal definition of compulsory school age in Engladn & Wales (not Scotland) and the legislation clearly refers to compulsory school age.  However anyone who turns 16 in that year definately needs a performance licence up to that day.  The NIECC would be interested in this I bet.

16 -19 year olds now are  still of 'compulsory school age'  until the end of what would be year 13  school / college / HE / approved job with training  or training with job ... 

30 minutes ago, Nicola H said:

16 -19 year olds now are  still of 'compulsory school age'  until the end of what would be year 13  school / college / HE / approved job with training  or training with job ... 

It's not 19 it's 18 (and only for England, other nations have different rules).

• Like 1

The requirement to remain in education or training has not affected the legal definition of compulsory school age with regards to child performance licensing regulations & that was clarified when the legislation was updated in 2015. 

Althogh i knew this (I am a licensed chaperone) I actually checked again before posting my reply to Bluebird. 

As far as humanly possible I try to ensure anything I post is accurate by referring to an original source rather than assuming I know everything. 

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

that age group referred to as 16 -19 for decades   in respect of education,  social security ,  even though  few if any  actualyl turn 19 before they   age out of the group in question , but  plenty are 18 1/2  or  older at the point their leave that  group ... 

From the government website clarifying that the official legal definition of school leaving age (as referred to in child licensing legislation) has not changed. 

School leaving age

Your school leaving age depends on where you live.

England

You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

• stay in full-time education, for example at a college
  • start an apprenticeship or traineeship
  • spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

Scotland

If you turn 16 between 1 March and 30 September you can leave school after 31 May of that year.

If you turn 16 between 1 October and the end of February you can leave at the start of the Christmas holidays in that school year.

Wales

You can leave school on the last Friday in June, as long as you’ll be 16 by the end of that school year’s summer holidays.

Northern Ireland

If you turn 16 during the school year (between 1 September and 1 July) you can leave school after 30 June.

If you turn 16 between 2 July and 31 August you can’t leave school until 30 June the following year.

Child performing licensing is about children working & the restrictions set.  They also require a licence from the local council to have a part time job (eg paper round/Saturday job) until the last Friday in June of Year 11. 

10 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

We have slightly different rules/legislation as well. A child can leave school on the 30th June if they turn 16 that school year ie Yr11 for most schools. After that there is no legislation for what they MUST do. They could stay at home all day if they wish and live off the Bank of Mum and Dad! 

As all performers for this Adventure have to be over 16 they will all be technically over the compulsory school age. So the rules are more lenient from what I gather.

On another note as there is no mention of remuneration for the performers just expenses (travel etc) they may well be excluded from the Law regarding Employment. The experience and training opportunity will be priceless for those fortunate teenagers. 

If that makes any sense. 

On 04/04/2018 at 07:41, HollyLou said:

The dates aren't the best either, the venue closest to us is scheduled in the middle of exam season.

They really are looking for local dancers for each venue, which is proving to be rather challenging as dates vary so much for all the venues. As you have pointed out many of the dates clash with GCSE's. Except for one or two venues. :( Which is odd as the performance dates are so far away, some being within term time whilst others are during the summer holidays. 

Edited by balletbean

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

We have slightly different rules/legislation as well. A child can leave school on the 30th June if they turn 16 that school year ie Yr11 for most schools. After that there is no legislation for what they MUST do. They could stay at home all day if they wish and live off the Bank of Mum and Dad! 

As all performers for this Adventure have to be over 16 they will all be technically over the compulsory school age. So the rules are more lenient from what I gather.

On another note as there is no mention of remuneration for the performers just expenses (travel etc) they may well be excluded from the Law regarding Employment. The experience and training opportunity will be priceless for those fortunate teenagers. 

If that makes any sense. 

Balletbean - In England the child performing regulations only differentiate between paid and non paid performing opportunities if the child has taken part in less than 4 performances in 6 months AND if no time off school is allowed.  If those conditions are met then an exemption can be granted.  I obviously don't know the situation/regulations where you are.  The rehearsal schedule indicates that a week of school would be missed (not sure if there is a mid-week matinee)

The first few dates on this tour are in May and June so all young people whose 16th birthdays fall between 1st September 2018 and 31st August 2019 will be subject to the licensing conditions for those venues.  From Sadlers Wells onwards they will be OK.

So going back to the original point made by pas de quatre, it is a very strange cut off date for age and elimates those year 11's with spring/summer birthdays who will have "left school" going by the legal definition by the time of the later venues.

13 hours ago, Nicola H said:

that age group referred to as 16 -19 for decades   in respect of education,  social security ,  even though  few if any  actualyl turn 19 before they   age out of the group in question , but  plenty are 18 1/2  or  older at the point their leave that  group ... 

Almost everyone who posts on this forum is a parent, and will already be perfectly well aware of the school leaving age in their region/country (especially the parents of the age group referred to in this thread). They do not need to have it explained to them.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Almost everyone who posts on this forum is a parent, and will already be perfectly well aware of the school leaving age in their region/country (especially the parents of the age group referred to in this thread). They do not need to have it explained to them.

As a parent that has only been living in the UK since 2010 I am not au fait with the all these regulations so these various posts has been very useful indeed. 

But presumably only if that information is correct in the first place Ravasmum.  The information I and taxi and balletbean gave is correct for our areas, the information that Nicola gave when she tried to contradict us is unfortunately not correct as she has presumably never had to research child licensing or attend local authority chaperone/licensing training courses.

• Like 3

I’ve had a response from the organisers. They really are looking for performers local to the area and that they audition there. That throws up some issues as for the pupils could be auditioning this spring whilst at their local school/home address but by the time the performance dates come around they could be the other end of the country at Vocational School/College. Closer to another venue. 🤨. Fantastic opportunity but also a tad confusing. 

Most Yr 11 students in England will be in the middle of GCSE exams during May and June, so whether they are 16 or only 15 is not like to matter after all, parents and or day schools won't want them to miss school days for those venues where performances are then. 

• Like 1

I was wondering what was wrong with the dates until I looked at the ones in Birmingham and realised they are all different so that they are manageable for us because they’re in September !

Although it will be difficult to promise to be available on eight occasions throuhout an entire year from July 18 through to September 19 when we don’t know exactly when that will be!!

we did the Lord of the Flies a few years ago and it was well worth it !

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I really wonder how it will work with some of the venues.  Our nearest is Mayflower Southampton, but to take part would effectively involve 2 weeks off school in September 2019 (in addition to the Sunday rehearsals scattered through the year).  I can't see that working except for those going onto a degree course with a late start.   I just have one pupil who has applied for Sadler's Wells because it is in the summer holidays.

• Like 1