How much studio time?

Penguinboysmum

Hi

I am wondering how much studio time DC have each week and whether all are in associates/scholar's schemes? DS (11) currently dances at a BBO school and does 1.5hours Grade ballet plus 1 hour of boys ballet a week, plus 2 hours of Jazz/Modern and 1 hour of tap each week. He also attends BBO Scholars for 3 hours of ballet once a month and attends the Scholar's intensive weekend and will be attending Dance Days next week. After hearing about his unsuccessful final audition for Yr 7 at Elmhurst DS's ballet teacher has offered more ballet, but I don't know in what capacity - ideally she would put him in the class above and below him as she does this with some students - but I suspect after he does his grade 3 exam at the end of April they will begin working on a show and standard grade classes are put aside until after the show which will likely be in October. I don't know if this is enough if he is hoping to re-audition next year. His dance teacher is happy for him to audition for RBS associates and BBO scholars and I think she will support YDS but she has had students attend NB in the past and doesn't recommend it. She also doesn't like pushing them too much at this age as in her 50years of teaching she says she's seen to many children burn out and lose their love for dance.  I cannot fault the standard of teaching, he gained a very high distinction in his last exam and most students in her school achieve at least a high-merit and I know she is highly thought of within the BBO but is what he is doing enough?

My DD has just turned 12. She does 2 x 45 mins grade ballet and 1 hour vocational ballet. She does ballet associates most weeks. I think it is the quality of teaching that is important so if you have a good ballet teacher then I woild definitely take her advice. She knows your DS capability the best if she teaches him regularly. 

I sometimes worry about my DD doing too much so I am keeping a close eye on how things go and it maybe that she has to drop something in the future. 

I think good quality Associates/Scholars are really important. Regardless of how good local training or even private lessons may be, there is nothing like taking class with 100% all dedicated, aspiring dancers, and you push yourself above and beyond what you thought was hard! I love Associates :) Speaking from a young dancer's point of view, please don't drop our classes! We love them so much and the more we do, the more we learn!

(P.S I understand that if a dancer is becoming really burned out, or can't keep up with schoolwork etc, then yes, it should be cut down on) 

• Like 1

My 10 year old DS does 3 hours ballet, 3 hours tap, 2 hours acro/conditioning, 2 hours jazz/modern a week. We have been told about the same amount of hours per week as their age is OK. He actually does more than that with exam practice, festivals etc. Plus holiday intensives. I suggested dropping one class and he's begged me not to. He will do a 2 hour class and them come home and dance until bedtime! We know he's ill if he doesn't dance.

• Like 2

My Dd is 10 (11 in June) and starts performing arts school in September.  

She does: grade 5 ballet, grade 5 tap and grade 5 modern, conditioning /flexibility, jazz all 1hr each per week. Pointe class - 30 mins/week

Barefoot ballet and pbt - 45 min/week

1.5 hr private lessons - works on particular techniques

Then 1hr45 Elmhurst JA a week

Topped off by any workshops/intensives etc she can get us to pay for!  

Dd would dance all evening every day but we moved schools a while back to re focus on smaller classes and a balance between reigniting the love of dance and being challenged

We find 1:1 are great if you find a good teacher who can work on strengths and areas for improvement.  

My DD does 3 hours RAD ballet, 1 hour festival rehearsals and 30 minutes pre-pointe strengthening at her local dance school during the week.

Saturday associates is 3 hours and once a month Sunday associates 2 hours.

So between 7.5 and 9.5 hours a week.

Added to that we’ve had LCB every Sunday since Christmas, which is between 2-5 hours. It’s been amazing, but DD has had very little downtime at weekends so I would say for us that keeping under 10 hours is ideal at the moment. Having said that, if we have a weekend without any dance (which is rare) I have to make sure she gets some sort of activity else she’s bouncing off the walls!

She is 10.5 and going to Hammond year 7 in September. 

Penguin boys mum

Doing the grades above and below is a good way to extend hours.

I would be concerned if technique classes are abandoned for 6 months for a show - he ideally needs to carry on technique - doesn't need to be syllabus though.

Has the BBO Scholars teacher given any feedback? Could you get to Elmhurst scholars?

GETTING ELMHURST FINALS IS FABULOUS

• Like 1