RAD Discovering Repertoire classes

balletgremlin

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite interested to see how this works out. My teacher trialled the program last year (not with me) but I don't believe she has plans on continuing with when it's formally released. I wouldn't mind giving it a go though, one of my favourite parts of syllabus classes is learning the dance! Quite interesting that the performers on the DVD are clearly adults, considering the usual syllabus DVD I was expecting children. Seems they are definitely directing this towards adult dancers!

To quote the press release::

Adults of all ages are coming back to ballet: for fitness, for social reasons, or because they have rediscovered their passion by seeing their children dance. Our research also shows that adults want to be challenged, to progress, and to feel a sense of achievement. Discovering Repertoire will deliver this satisfaction, enabling them to learn and dance the ballet repertoire that they know and love, and be assessed in smaller, more manageable and less intimidating units of work.

My teacher is looking forward to teaching it to our advanced adult ballet class and also as an additional class for her students who've finished grade 8 and want more than just their vocational lesson every week.

I'm just looking forward to doing more dancing and learning a new syllabus and new  dances.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Viv said:

Quite interesting that the performers on the DVD are clearly adults, considering the usual syllabus DVD I was expecting children. Seems they are definitely directing this towards adult dancers!

They are all Elmhurst students - year 11 and grad year x

8 minutes ago, mimi'smom said:

They are all Elmhurst students - year 11 and grad year x

Oopsies, my mistake! I've been watching the Intermediate Foundation DVD religiously for the last few months so I think that's what I was expecting. Hopefully I never witness a crime where I have to guess anyone's ages :unsure: Maybe they were just all so talented I couldn't believe they were still students :D

Edited by Viv
  • Like 2

On 17/11/2017 at 19:27, balletgremlin said:

Anyone else looking forward to the new RAD syllabus coming in the new year?

I've found a video showing clips from the DVD - https://www.radenterprises.co.uk/discovering-repertoire

More info here

I'm looking forward to this more than is healthy :D sadly my teacher passed on the opportunity to trial this a few years ago, I'm very much considering letting Grade 7 go for rep level 3

• Like 4

I may have let my teacher talk me into doing Grade 7 and Intermediate AND Advanced Foundation next year...so I think rep would be a bit much on top of that. I love the Coppelia variation in level 1 though! Ah well, maybe I'll get the opportunity eventually :) I do envy all you in the UK who get to do repertoire intensive workshops, that sort of thing doesn't really exist where I live.

• Like 2

I've got plenty on my plate too Viv - grade 6 & intermediate exams and rehearsals for two shows, along with 7,8, AF and Advanced 1 classes, pointe classes, adult classes & contemporary when I can make it. There just isn't the time or money to do all the dancing I'd like to.

I have enjoyed several of the RAD repertoire workshops they've put on at Elmhurst in the past but it'll be nice to be able to work on something for more than a morning.

• Like 1

This looks like something that could appeal to older teens who have done all the graded exams but want to keep dancing as a hobby. I noticed quite a few at DD's old dance school used to drop out completely at that stage or stick with modern and tap but give up on ballet. It sounds like this could follow on quite nicely from grades 6,7 and 8 for those who enjoy the challenge of having a goal to work towards but for whatever reason don't wish to take the vocational exams. I can think of quite a few of my DD's old friends who were very nice recreational dancers but got bored with ballet in their mid teens. I think this would have kept their interest much longer. It's good to see the RAD trying out some new ideas.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Viv said:

I may have let my teacher talk me into doing Grade 7 and Intermediate AND Advanced Foundation next year...so I think rep would be a bit much on top of that. I love the Coppelia variation in level 1 though! Ah well, maybe I'll get the opportunity eventually :) I do envy all you in the UK who get to do repertoire intensive workshops, that sort of thing doesn't really exist where I live.

If you find who your RAD area manager is they may be able to get something together, if the demand is there they'll put them on normally, I'm working with the RAD to bring more adult workshops to the north as I think there's demand for it up here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sophie_rebecca said:

If you find who your RAD area manager is they may be able to get something together, if the demand is there they'll put them on normally, I'm working with the RAD to bring more adult workshops to the north as I think there's demand for it up here.

Almost certainly there is  demand,   given that the stuff KNT do fills up well and  Leeds  TBRs fill  to full within days of  Hannah announcing dates.   where i am  leeds  etc is a little closer / easier than Birmingham etc  , but  as long as suitable studio space  is available  stuff could be done anywhere, barring egos and  interniecene stuff between the awarding bodies 

Like anything  you have to  be prepared to  take the risk  with the first  few  events  but once  established ... 

in Viv's case Down Under  at least they have RAD  infrastructure in place  so will be able to crib  from the experience of  the RAD  in the UK . 

in the metropolitan /coastal parts of  Aus i suspect the issues will be much the same as  for anywhere, if she;s more inland   catchment / travel will change things    

Edited by Nicola H

1 hour ago, Nicola H said:

in Viv's case Down Under  at least they have RAD  infrastructure in place  so will be able to crib  from the experience of  the RAD  in the UK . 

While there are adult dancers in my area, the whole notion of intensives and master classes are almost non-existent for those over 18. One company started up in 2015 to run a 2 day workshop specifically for adult dancers which has seen a lot of demand, so maybe that'll lead to further developments in that area. Another problem comes from the RAD staff in this area, who have openly told me they think it's weird that an adult is interested in syllabus at all. Maybe this new syllabus will change that idea :) If they start running rep workshops for kids I may try and argue my way in :D Good luck at bringing more workshops up North @sophie_rebecca :) 

Not to derail the conversation... If anyone is wondering what the Coppelia variation looks like, the choreography I remember from watching the girls at my studio last year looked similar to the first minute or so of this video

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I started learning the Level 2 Coppelia variation for this today. It's so beautiful (and fun!) and the development exercises seem really well designed. My teacher and I are going to be doing it in a fortnightly private lesson to try and work on exploring artistry, without sacrificing technique. Has anyone else started learning this yet?

• Like 2

@Bluebird22 Do you mind me asking which variation is studied in level 3? On youtube I've been able to find versions of the Coppelia one for level 2, and the Swan Lake for level 4, but the level 3 one escapes me. It'd be nice to see what I might be progressing towards :) 

DD is enrolled for Adv F, Grade 7, and Rep Level 3 (our school year is only just starting this week). She'll try it out for a term but I suspect that if the teacher (it's the strict one teaching Rep) wants her to do it en pointe, she may not want to. When they say 'pointe is optional', it raises the problem of who decides!

Hi Blubird

I see the youtube of Paquita variation from the Pas de trios, we were dancing Paquita in our summer show last year, whilst I recognised the music, the variation was somewhat different. I checked this against the Mariinski version which ours was inspired by, it seams it is neither variations that belong to the Pas de Trios, but the first variation of next section completely. I know our company didn’t dance all of those solos. The fourth solo, the one that follows the cupid solo that is also found in the dream scene of Don Q, I really love the both the music and choreography of that fourth solo, it wasn’t one our company danced and I really wanted to take that one up to Ballet West with me this year, unfortunately my leg injury put things back where that was no longer possible. At least I have a couple of PDD and 3 solo's for them this year.

Love your next video of  Yuhui Choe’s Blue Bird, I have danced her variation and always held that back as a space filler.

As for RADs  Discovering Repertoire program, I did email a RAD teacher where I hire there studio for a couple of hours a week and do their Adult Ballet class. Although I had a reply about a welcome back after my injury, there was no remark about the RAD program. I guess similar to you, I have a non RAD teacher as my rep coach which we do one to one twice a week and have for the last 3 to 4 years.  The final work is then taken up to Ballet West once a year for its final polishing.

These are the closest versions to the ones the RAD are using, that I can find anyway! I’m toying with the idea of joining the RAD, (luckily I have transferable qualifications) but not owning my own school means I can’t very well go around swapping what syllabi I teach! 

I’ve been quizzing RAD teachers I know and they either haven’t heard of it or just can’t work out where the Discovering Rep fits in with their students. I’m hoping it takes off as it is really good! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cara in NZ said:

DD is enrolled for Adv F, Grade 7, and Rep Level 3 (our school year is only just starting this week). She'll try it out for a term but I suspect that if the teacher (it's the strict one teaching Rep) wants her to do it en pointe, she may not want to. When they say 'pointe is optional', it raises the problem of who decides!

pointe is optional  

it's the student's award  and the student's exam fee  but   not  every teacher is going to see that 

...   one of the reasons DR   says pointe is optional is  to allow   those who can't / won't / don;t  the chance at  a UK NQF3 or 4 award 

15 minutes ago, Bluebird22 said:

These are the closest versions to the ones the RAD are using, that I can find anyway! I’m toying with the idea of joining the RAD, (luckily I have transferable qualifications) but not owning my own school means I can’t very well go around swapping what syllabi I teach! 

I’ve been quizzing RAD teachers I know and they either haven’t heard of it or just can’t work out where the Discovering Rep fits in with their students. I’m hoping it takes off as it is really good! 

where does it fit ? 

- as an alternative to the VGEs  for those who can't / don't  / won't go en pointe  - 
- as  enrichment   for higher grades /VGE  students 

- something for the adult recreational dancer  who  does or  doesn't  want  to do pointe but  wants a challenge that isn't the VGEs?

( ideal world would have seen  a 2 or 3  stage   adult beginners / improvers  syllabus  - as there;s plenty of  teachers  out there  from local schools up to  current and ex company ballet masters  who  have  their own  beginner syllabuses  and interestingly  they seem to be quite similar  -  in that my  teacher at 'home'  uses similar exercises to those  David Kierce uses in his classes  and had similar ideas of what the  first part of  adult improver should include   that isn't necessarily   in the grades until g4 or 5 ) 

9 hours ago, Bluebird22 said:

I was at the RAD northern AGM & launch of the rep (& was the only non teacher / examiner there :D ) A few teachers weren't sure where this fit into things, the general idea seems to be it's great for dancers who are nearing the end of their grade but don't want to do vocationals, it's also been extremely popular with adult students.

Pointe being optional was also discussed, as @Nicola H says it's optional,  no one in the room believed it was worth doing in en pointe as there's no extra marks & everything to lose from making it harder, the chaines can also be done at half speed & there were a few other bits that were optional to make this a more relaxing / enjoyable grade.

We were all a bit confused by the way it's broken into exams though, each level is 3 exams, 1 for the Barre & Center, 1 for the 8 preparations & variation 1 & 1 for the 8 preparations & variation 2, the feeling was most people would take 2 exams back to back, center + variation then the other variation if decided later, the exams are shorter & this is reflected in the exam fee.

• Like 1

....or because they have the ability and technique, and want the challenge.  When you are working towards Advanced 2, for example, dancing variations en pointe which are different to the exam variation makes a welcome change and is great practice.  

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Anna C said:

....or because they have the ability and technique, and want the challenge.  When you are working towards Advanced 2, for example, dancing variations en pointe which are different to the exam variation makes a welcome change and is great practice.  

i.e.  'VGE  students  seeking enrichment '