National Youth Ballet Final Auditions 2018

Mummy2BalletFairies

Yes it’s approx 10 mins from new street to Elmhurst although if around rush around would take a bit longer as it’s a main commuter road into and out of Birmingham and again a 10 minute taxi back into the Crescent. 

• Like 1

Interested in the logistics of this & if something to consider DD perhaps auditioning for next year....tbh costs put it out of reach when younger but as older think perhaps a performance focus may offer more than just a class based summer school....? Am I right in thinking timings look kinder this year with no gap between Birmingham & London show dates & all pre Autumn Term (seem to recall in the past London show has fallen after schools go back making extra trips/long drives/costs etc which really put it out of reach) ?

If the Birm shows are straight after the training is there an option to continue in Elmhurst accommodation under NYB care or are parents expected to basically be up there & in hotels? 

Advice must appreciated as an trying to get more organised for Summer dancing next year 😀

Hi peanut68

This year for NYB has rolled from summer school onto The Cresent and then finishing with the London Gala on the Sunday evening I think personally it works better as we know that we need to block out those two weeks, it used to go over three weeks so fitting everything around it was a pain. Unfortunately there is no option for the children to stay after the summer school, so parents book hotels nearby when at The Crescent, before the summer school was held in Tring then performances were in Tunbridge Wells or Guildford, then followed by the Gala at the beginning of September.

My dd has been fortunate to have been involved with NYB for many years and loves it, she has made lots of friends, the performances are of a high standard, the costs involved are a lot but it’s definitely worth it! 

If you can come up and watch one of the performances, feel free to pm me if you want any further info 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Just realised the only way to make sure DD is there by 10 on the first day is to stay over the night before which,as her CAT summer school doesn't finish until 3 on the Sat, makes for an extremely busy weekend and an extra expense I wasn't planning on! Does anyone have approx prices for a taxi from the city centre to Elmhurst please?

Also, she's unsure about whether or not to enter the choreographic competition, this is her first time at NYB and she doesn't know anyone who's gone before. Do most people have a go?

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, DancingShoes said:

Hi, it's about £8 in a taxi from the station. Also saw you asking for a character skirt, are you able to borrow one? My dd is also doing NYB, pm me if you need any help x

Thank you, I may well take you up on that! I'm very pleased she's having this opportunity but there's a lot to organise!

• 1 month later...

The What to bring list doesn't mention any change of clothes for the evenings. Can anybody confirm what kind of evening wear a 9 year old might need? Do they just throw on a onesie over the top of their leotards or is separate loungewear the thing?

Also, how do they do the choreo competition as duets or groups unless they know other cast members before they go?! And how could they source props and costumes while at Elmhurst? Baffled.

Thanks in advance! 

Hi Mummy2BalletFairies, My dd went last year at 9 and going again this Sunday! They wear what they want in the evening if not dancing. I have packed today a few jumpers, t shirts, shorts and trousers. Also a dressing gown and slippers. Maybe a bit OTT but its all in a suit case and her dance bag. Think 10 days is a long time with only a few belongings. Also book, colouring stuff, few little bits from her room so she has that connection with home. My dd has chosen the 1 1/2 min music today so is going to do a solo for choreo comp and work on it this week. She is taking a festival outfit. Not sure how much time the little ones would get to do something at Elmhurst. I know they are kept busy in the evenings with lots going on according to my dd last year. Think the juniors last year that wanted to take part did solo's and maybe one or 2 did duets but they knew each other before hand xx

• Like 1

On 07/07/2018 at 12:55, Yrosered said:

Just realised the only way to make sure DD is there by 10 on the first day is to stay over the night before which,as her CAT summer school doesn't finish until 3 on the Sat, makes for an extremely busy weekend and an extra expense I wasn't planning on! Does anyone have approx prices for a taxi from the city centre to Elmhurst please?

Also, she's unsure about whether or not to enter the choreographic competition, this is her first time at NYB and she doesn't know anyone who's gone before. Do most people have a go?

Thanks!

I've only just seen this post- how old is your daughter? Mine is 9 and going for the first time and is really hoping to find somebody to duet with. She is heading up with a CD with 3 pieces of music on CD as ideas, at their suggestion. NYB said they'd like to encourage entrants to the choreo so if at all possible their wardrobe department would help with costume or props if dancers were able to put something together last minute at Elmhurst. Like you, I'm scared about tomorrow morning's logistics! I've got the "what have we got ourselves into" feeling!

On 12/08/2018 at 21:23, Ms Sunshine said:

Hi Mummy2BalletFairies, My dd went last year at 9 and going again this Sunday! They wear what they want in the evening if not dancing. I have packed today a few jumpers, t shirts, shorts and trousers. Also a dressing gown and slippers. Maybe a bit OTT but its all in a suit case and her dance bag. Think 10 days is a long time with only a few belongings. Also book, colouring stuff, few little bits from her room so she has that connection with home. My dd has chosen the 1 1/2 min music today so is going to do a solo for choreo comp and work on it this week. She is taking a festival outfit. Not sure how much time the little ones would get to do something at Elmhurst. I know they are kept busy in the evenings with lots going on according to my dd last year. Think the juniors last year that wanted to take part did solo's and maybe one or 2 did duets but they knew each other before hand xx

thank you! off the back of your message i contacted NYB again and they were v encouraging so DD still hoping to find duet partner when there. we are having mobile phone dilemma as even though they said don't bring it unless you must, i can't help but feel we may regret not having ANY contact...what did you do with your DD first year? x

16 minutes ago, tattielashes said:

Dropped DD off today. She's just rang and is having a lovely time. Little snippets to see on the NYB story on instagram.

Same here. They're practising something in groups in their bedrooms! Looks really fun and friendly.  Lovely to see those scenes on insta. Hope they keep posting. I think I wish I was doing NYB myself 😀

• Like 1

On 18/08/2018 at 11:00, Mummy2BalletFairies said:

I've only just seen this post- how old is your daughter? Mine is 9 and going for the first time and is really hoping to find somebody to duet with. She is heading up with a CD with 3 pieces of music on CD as ideas, at their suggestion. NYB said they'd like to encourage entrants to the choreo so if at all possible their wardrobe department would help with costume or props if dancers were able to put something together last minute at Elmhurst. Like you, I'm scared about tomorrow morning's logistics! I've got the "what have we got ourselves into" feeling!

Sorry, only just seen this! She's 14 otherwise that would have been lovely. She decided against in the end which I think is a real shame, but I believe she's been helping other people out with theirs and cracking on with some GCSE homework as well which is less fun but sadly necessary!

• Like 1