National Youth Ballet Final Auditions 2018

Mummy2BalletFairies

DD 9 years old just got recalled to finals/ casting audition for junior company on 29th April. ...We were not expecting to get past initial audition :oAnybody else on here got a recall?

Are there usually lots of kids who get dropped after the casting audition? Are chances still very slim of getting in, or have they done the biggest cut after the preliminary auditions? Having told her she wouldn't be getting past the initial audition, I'm now trying to get my facts straight!

This was her first ever audition for anything so we're just wondering if anybody who has been to final auditions/casting before could describe the kinds of things they were asked to do- the first auditions in london seemed very classical and technique based, but other threads from 2014 on this forum suggest casting auditions seem a bit broader plus the email said to bring tap shoes.... Also, has anybody else put their 9 year old down for residential? Thanks all. Inexperienced dance mum x

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi mummy2balletfairies

will done to your dd, she will have a great time it’s such a great summer school she will make lots of friends,  my dd started nyb when she was 9, she’s now 15 and still loves it! the best wishes form is for anyone that would like to wish their child good luck for the performances it gets printed in the program. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mummy2BalletFairies said:

It's a yes for us! DD is 9 and this was her first audition for anything and first summer school.  Has your friend's DD done it before? How old is she? We don't know anybody going. I am not sure my daughter has grasped the 2 week boarding with strangers  yet!

Congratulations to your DD. It will be her first time - she is 11.

Edited by Newdancermum

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 19:43, Mummy2BalletFairies said:

It's a yes for us! DD is 9 and this was her first audition for anything and first summer school.  Has your friend's DD done it before? How old is she? We don't know anybody going. I am not sure my daughter has grasped the 2 week boarding with strangers  yet!

No she hasn't done NYB before and from talking to them at the weekend she is saying they might not do it.  Her friend was at Main Company finals and is in the same year group but they haven't heard anything yet so we are thinking that she is waiting for her to know before being happy about it.  Does anyone know how Main Company finals work?  They were thinking that as she wasn't kept back she isn't through but then again I know a boy who wasn't kept back last year but did get in.  Is it age related as to who is kept all day or do they only keep those who they are considering longer? 

On 11/05/2018 at 20:54, Dancing2003 said:

Hi mummy2balletfairies

will done to your dd, she will have a great time it’s such a great summer school she will make lots of friends,  my dd started nyb when she was 9, she’s now 15 and still loves it! the best wishes form is for anyone that would like to wish their child good luck for the performances it gets printed in the program. 

Thank you dancermum2003, that's encouraging and well done to your DD.! do you get to hang around with them for a short while when you drop them off and settle them in? it's me who will need the settling i am sure...

11 hours ago, junedancer said:

No she hasn't done NYB before and from talking to them at the weekend she is saying they might not do it.  Her friend was at Main Company finals and is in the same year group but they haven't heard anything yet so we are thinking that she is waiting for her to know before being happy about it.  Does anyone know how Main Company finals work?  They were thinking that as she wasn't kept back she isn't through but then again I know a boy who wasn't kept back last year but did get in.  Is it age related as to who is kept all day or do they only keep those who they are considering longer? 

no idea but watching this thread keenly to find out...

23 hours ago, Dancermum2003 said:

I thought results were out as I’m sure a friend of DD’s was at the photo shoot for posters/programmes etc yesterday? 

Will they get told one way or another as they haven't been told yet.  They thought it was not until this week that results would be out so were surprised to hear they were out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

in terms of timings do you mean for picking up and dropping off at summer school? we had to get them there first thing on the first day to register.Not sure if it'll be the same this year but they will send a pack out with all the timings on. We could collect from lunchtime onwards on the Tuesday before dress rehearsal.

hope that helps. My DD can't wait, she had such a good time last year.

42 minutes ago, Mummy2BalletFairies said:

Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel for birmingham that is walking distance from the dress rehearsals/theatre? first time with NYB so steep learning curve!

Where are the rehearsals/theatre?

I’m fairly certain dress rehearsals will be at the Crecent, any hotels on Broad street will be in walking distance, there are quite a few. I work in Birmingham so don’t really use the hotels to recommend one, but they are all fairly standard chains, the Novotel is close, I’ve been into the Hampton Garden Innfor a work function but only reception/ conference room but looked really nice and that’s very close. Any visitors to work we use the Jurys Inn so presume thst is also fairly good. 

Hope hat helps. 

Edited by Loulou
  • Like 1

Hi, We took part last year and will my dd is a junior again this year. Lots stay at Hilton Garden Inn in Birmingham as its next door. I paid £256 Tues-Saturday but with no breakfast included. Anything in that mile radius would be walking distance. So many restaurants in the area its really lovely. I could not find cheap accommodation at all around Sadler Wells for the Saturday and Sunday night. Angel tube is 10 minutes walk so I am doing a couple of stops and staying at Ibis at Shepherds Bush as I know the area next to Westfield and its very close to the tube when you get off. That was £150 for the two nights. Hope that helps xxx

• Like 1

I'm in travel lodge on broad street. We stayed there last year. Think we've paid about 133 For the 4 nights. We are staying in travel Ogden Farringdon for sadlers wells shows. 135 for 2 nights. Found out yesterday that there are no trains going on or out of London Euston on the weekend of the 1st September which has scuppered my plans to train it from Birmingham. I really didn't want to drive to London.

• Like 1

We have booked holiday inn kings cross for Sadlers wells as actually managed to get with ihg points.  Didn't realise re trains from bham. Fortunately dh works near Heathrow so will park there  and tube it in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tattielashes said:

I'm in travel lodge on broad street. We stayed there last year. Think we've paid about 133 For the 4 nights. We are staying in travel Ogden Farringdon for sadlers wells shows. 135 for 2 nights. Found out yesterday that there are no trains going on or out of London Euston on the weekend of the 1st September which has scuppered my plans to train it from Birmingham. I really didn't want to drive to London.

Hi tattielashes,

This may be an obvious suggestion and one you've already tried, but have you looked at trains on the Chiltern line into Marylebone from Snow Hill and Moor Street?

Updated to add: I've just done a search and it looks like they should be running, though they do have the warning message about the timetables not being confirmed yet (which is standard up to six weeks in advance at the moment).

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RuthE said:

Hi tattielashes,

This may be an obvious suggestion and one you've already tried, but have you looked at trains on the Chiltern line into Marylebone from Snow Hill and Moor Street?

Updated to add: I've just done a search and it looks like they should be running, though they do have the warning message about the timetables not being confirmed yet (which is standard up to six weeks in advance at the moment).

Thanks so much for this Ruth. I wouldn't have known otherwise. I'll have a look x

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tattielashes said:

Thanks so much for this Ruth. I wouldn't have known otherwise. I'll have a look x

They are slower than the Euston trains but run from early in the morning and it's a much more scenic route.  They're often a lot cheaper than Virgin too (I'm not how they compare with London Midland or whatever that operator's called now).

Thank you all so much for hotel advice. This forum is incredible. However I have another question. Do we collect them from Elmhurst or are they somehow delivered to near the Crescent theatre on that Tuesday? I am just having to send a grandmother to Birmingham to collect her so working out her logistics determines whether she trains or drives. On AA route planner it looks like a 10 min taxi ride from Birmingham New Street train station to Elmhurst, then another 10 min taxi from Elmhurst to the crescent theatre (if we stay at Hilton Garden inn next door). Does this sound sensible to those who live in Birmingham or who have done NYB before?