Sir Ken Dodd RIP

Jan McNulty

Sir Ken Dodd died on Sunday at the age of 90.  He was one of those people I thought would go on forever.  He was released from hospital 2 weeks before his death and, in a local news interview, was already planning to return to the stage.

Ken Dodd's shows were legendary.  I remember a friend going to see him in Southport.  At the time all public transport finished around 11pm.  His show had started at 7:30pm and he started calling after people as they were leaving to catch their last train/bus home!  He eventually finished at 1:30am!!!

He was born, lived all his life and died in the same house in Knotty Ash, Liverpool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43367267

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/mar/12/comedy-legend-sir-ken-dodd-dies-aged-90

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/sir-ken-dodd-dies-aged-14397914

• Like 5

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Sir Ken Dodd RIP

The last of a true breed of professionals.  We won't be allowed to have another comedian like him as there is generally a mass sense of humour fail these days.  We are lucky to have had him, and to have had the freedom to laugh.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Sim said:

The last of a true breed of professionals.  We won't be allowed to have another comedian like him as there is generally a mass sense of humour fail these days.  We are lucky to have had him, and to have had the freedom to laugh.

:rolleyes:

One of those truely greats like Tommy Cooper who just had to walk on stage and you wanted to laugh even before they said anything.

I always thought he had a really fine singing voice as well. I loved his unconventionality a true Liverpool spirit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Ken Dodd's shows were legendary.  I remember a friend going to see him in Southport.  At the time all public transport finished around 11pm.  His show had started at 7:30pm and he started calling after people as they were leaving to catch their last train/bus home!  He eventually finished at 1:30am!!!

I remember my parents going to see him and he went on for hours. No one left and no one minded as they didn’t want him to stop!

It is one of biggest regrets I have that I missed out twice on seeing his live stage show, because I was away on holiday on both occasions when he was in the area.  My friends said his was one of the funniest shows they had seen. 

I have a video tape of one of his live shows, and it is hysterical.  It is just one joke after another, coming at you in rapid succession.  I play bits of it once in a while when I need cheering up.  No need for swear words or blue jokes, just witty banter and his own cheerful personality.  Oh, and one of the very few ventriloquist acts that I have ever found funny. 

• Like 2

Rip Ken. One of my earliest theatre memories. My grandparents treated us to a box for his show at Nottingham Theatre Royal. He had an extended tickling stick and aimed it at me up in the box; I was terrified!! I keep all my vinyl and still have a copy of his hit single Happiness :D

Edited by nottsballetlover
  • Like 1