M&S Covent Garden closing

alison

Well, 6 months or so on, it's official: Marks & Spencer in Covent Garden will be closing on 7th April.  That is going to be a REAL pain, because I frequently use it before and/or after performances.  I'm assuming the staff will be reassigned to other stores.

• Like 1

What a pain.  Although I only ever bought food and flowers there, it was a very convenient to pop into between work and ballet, to have something to eat before the show.  If a behemoth like M&S can't afford the soaring business rates, then I wonder how long before smaller stores start to close as well?  Such a shame.

• Like 2

Blast.  I'd forgotten about the cashpoint.  Isn't it the only one on that side of the market?  Other nearest Lloyds at the top of Southampton Street (does that still exist after the redevelopment?) or NatWest on the Henrietta Street corner of the Piazza?

12 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

This article explains more. Seems they may open a new food store in Covent Garden - thank goodness!

I suspect the problem is the size of the building they inherited from what used to be the Covent Garden General Store: it's not small enough to be a Simply Food store, but not really big enough to stock much in the way of clothing.  Plus it's in a tourist/office area where I think the majority of the people would be going in for something quick to eat - it's noticeable that they don't always commit to the dining promotions - and I've often found it a good place to pop into during the sale because I can find things in there that they've run out of elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

What a pain.  Although I only ever bought food and flowers there, it was a very convenient to pop into between work and ballet, to have something to eat before the show.  If a behemoth like M&S can't afford the soaring business rates, then I wonder how long before smaller stores start to close as well?  Such a shame.

I think you'll find the smaller/independent stores have been closing for years, Sim :-(  I think it's all part of the Capco grand plan to turn Covent Garden into a Premium Destination - have you noticed all the high-end brands which have moved in in recent years?  (Oh, and wasn't East, on the Piazza, closing as well?)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Blast.  I'd forgotten about the cashpoint.  Isn't it the only one on that side of the market?  Other nearest Lloyds at the top of Southampton Street (does that still exist after the redevelopment?) or NatWest on the Henrietta Street corner of the Piazza?

Yes, it's the only one I know of on the Longacre side. :(

• Like 1

M+S  have struggled with estate  for a while  , they have stores various places  too big to be a ' simply food  '  with perhaps some  flostiry and a rack or two of hosiery  but too small do  display a  decent range of  their clothing offer  ...  - such is the nature of being a 'legacy'  organisation 

add in their  business difficulties in finding, keeping  and  growing their market share , their   difficulties with mastering   the internet age  ( and  the trouble they had with  staple M+S products  working  in the  Automated warehousing  at Castle Donington ...  ( such as the  Lingerie items which have up to 100  different  variants  band / cup / colour  within  a single product ) 

Alison I think the Lloyds went a long time ago!! 

In terested to hear there's a cash point on the corner of Neal st and Shorts Gardens as I've used one on Drury Lane near the London Theatre before but it's not a free one so annoying.

Dont know how I've missed the Neal st one.

I used to use the Lloyds one a lot but it went about 2 yrs ago now? 

Maybe, but then I wasn't around there much last year :(  It was still there when they started redeveloping, because I took some money out of it.  Will have to pick up any cash in the Strand on the way in, I guess, unless I'm coming in via Covent Garden tube, which could be tricky.

Other sources of bakery-type products are, I guess, the Co-Ops down at Charing Cross and by the Peacock Theatre, and the Sainsbury's at Holborn tube.  Plus the more expensive coffee places, of course.

1 hour ago, alison said:

Other sources of bakery-type products are, I guess, the Co-Ops down at Charing Cross and by the Peacock Theatre, and the Sainsbury's at Holborn tube.  Plus the more expensive coffee places, of course.

The Tesco Metro on Bedford Street and Tesco Express on the Strand near Waterloo Bridge are both nearer the ROH than any of these, I think.

I wonder if, given the ambitions of Open Up to make the ROH a more usable place during the day, they might tuck a cashpoint in a corner in one of the public foyers, just inside the doors?  There's one in the entrance to the Royal Festival Hall (which is the only one in the immediate area and attracts long queues on Southbank Food Market days).

I've just had a thought - I THINK there is also a cashpoint at the back of Jubilee Market somewhere, opposite where the Lloyds one used to be.  One of those indoor free-standing ones, and I think fee-free.  I'm pretty sure I've seen it signposted.  I could just be imagining it.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 2